Main Menu

B-29 at DPA

Started by Eclipse, August 11, 2012, 08:51:33 PM

Eclipse

On the way home after an airshow today. (Just barely made it outside as we heard it taking off).

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

Really nice shot, Eclipse! Definately a rare sight nowadays.

Eclipse

They came back.  Looks like they may have been doing rides.

"That Others May Zoom"

68w20

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFI_(aircraft)

That'd be Fifi, the only currently-flying B-29.  Fortunately for me it's been doing laps out over DeKalb, and more specifically my apartment complex.  Not that I'm complaining...

Garibaldi

I have an old pic of my unit in front of Fifi, who had just recently starred in a movie about the Enola Gay (note the painted over nose-art)

This was in 1982 I believe. Our meetings were on Thursday nights and I got a call at around 4 from my squad leader telling me to get my butt over to the meeting location ASAFP. No reason given, but we hauled out of there and saw Fifi sitting on the ramp. We got to crawl around inside the plane, very hot having been sitting in the Georgia sun for several hours. We even got to watch it start up, but had to leave before she took off. That's me, in the center, second row.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Garibaldi

Fifi was in Little Rock this weekend, and I was lamenting the fact that I couldn't go see her. Well, today I got my chance. As I was sitting on my bed playing with a puppy we're fostering, I heard the distinctive sound of radial engines. Multiple radial engines. I thought it was an older plane, but as it got closer I got curious and looked out my window. Fifi was hauling azz right over my house! I was so stunned I couldn't even reach for my phone in time to take a picture, instead just watched as she flew away north.

*UPDATE*

Just found out that Fifi is gonna hang around for another day or so at Fayetteville Airport, so I might just drive on down tomorrow before the meeting and say hi to the old gal one more time. Pics to follow.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things