Pilot training and weight issue C-152?

Started by FormerCadet, July 26, 2012, 03:15:54 PM

FormerCadet

I'm being told that I may be unable to train in a C-152 because I'm 5'9" / 250 lbs. My flight school FBO is saying that I could fly a 152 locally, but not cross country, so that I must fly the 172 for my whole training. Does this sound right? Couldn't I just fly the 152 for most of my private pilot training and do the 172 to meet the cross country requirement? Is cross country even required for a PPL? My main reason for wanting to use a 152 instead of a 172 is the cost difference ($89 vs $115). Any thoughts?

Flying Pig

Ehhhhh, yeah I could see that being an issue.  Especially depending on your instructors size.  Now top that thing off with gas for a xctry...  Yes, cross countries are required.  You could maybe talk to them about doing your solo work in a 152 and the dual in a 172. 
Doing helos is the same way, Ive seen students not being able to train because the schools in their area only have R22's.  They end up either not training, or needing to go somewhere and do it in a 300C at about $75 p/hr more.

lordmonar

250 LBs in the left seat and 180 in the right with 24 gallons of fuel puts you over your gross weight....according the W&B script I used on the internet.

If your instructor is heaver then 180 that is going to cut way way into your fuel load. (looks like only 13 gallons max fuel which only gives you about 1 hour of flying (with a 1 hour reserve)).

And yes cross country flying is required for PPL.

Looks like you are going to have to use a 172 or something bigger.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Al Sayre

Do what you can in the 152 and then swap into the 172.  Get used to switching back and forth, it will make you a better pilot in the long run if you are exposed to the handling characteristics of different types of aircraft early in your training.  The 172 and 152 are similar enough it should be a fairly easy transition.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Thrashed

As an instructor I put anyone over 180lbs in a C172 or Piper Cherokee. Sorry, but the C152 can't handle more than two 180 lbs persons and fuel.

I'm not sure the C162 can do much better, I haven't flown it.

Save the triangle thingy

mdickinson

I'll respectfully disagree with Maj Sayre and say that, in the opinion of this flight instructor, you should do all your training in one type of airplane, right up through the day of your private pilot checkride.  I agree with him that learning to handle multiple types of aircraft makes one a better pilot; but I feel the time to do that is after the checkride.

The C-172 will certainly cost you more over the duration of your training - an extra $26 per hour for around 60 hours means a total savings of $1560. But that savings is only available to those who weigh 180 lbs or less [or, more accurately: those who weigh (360 - their instructor's weight) or less]. 

It's not that you can't save the money, of course; it's that you would need to start a weight loss program tomorrow, and just plan to begin your training when you drop below 190 or 200.  (Cross country flights don't begin until the second or third month of training anyway.) As I'm sure you already know, taking such a bold step would benefit you in myriad other ways. Of course it would put a spring in your step, give you an entirely new wardrobe and outlook, and drastically cut your health care costs.  More importantly, it would add years, perhaps a decade, to your lifespan. So the $1560 you would save on flight training is really just the tip of the iceberg.

On the other hand, here are two points in favor of going ahead and doing the training in the C-172:
1. You wouldn't have to wait for your weight to change. You can begin training in the 172 tomorrow.
2. Once you complete your private certificate, you really won't fly the 152 much. You will very quickly want to transition into the C-172, which will require several hours of dual instruction. By doing all your training in the C172 from the get-go, you will spend more money overall, but you won't have to then adjust to the 172 later on.