Main Menu

Wanting to join but...

Started by Jett, July 22, 2012, 04:06:14 AM

Jett

I am smack dab in the middle of quite a few squadrons. And with the rate of gas in California (because we all know how lovely gas prices are right now!) I was wondering if anyone here had any experience in any Southern California squadrons? I really would hate to waste gas and end up at one that just sits around all day doing nothing. I'll be joining as a senior member, if that helps any bit. Thanks ya'll!

Майор Хаткевич

You would need to visit the units to see how you like them. Each unit is different, and CAP is different for everyone. You get out of it what you put into it. What were you looking to do?

PHall

Okay, SoCal is a pretty big area. Care to narrow it down a bit?
Are you in LA, the OC, the IE or are you down in Sandy Eggo?

AngelWings

Quote from: usafaux2004 on July 22, 2012, 04:11:23 AM
You would need to visit the units to see how you like them. Each unit is different, and CAP is different for everyone. You get out of it what you put into it. What were you looking to do?
+1 You need to check out the units. CAP has a niche unit for everyone, or ones well rounded out for everyone to fit in to some area. Check out the units, see which ones you like, find which ones you fit in with most, and have fun! California is a big wing and very well rounded I've heard.

Jett

I honestly am not sure yet. I'd love to work with the cadets if that's even possible. And I'm stuck in the IE. And I honestly have no problem with visiting the units near me, I just wanted to see if anyone here knew which units I might want to stay away from or vice versa. All the units are over 20 miles away from me.

PHall

Okay, in the IE you have a number of units.

Sq 5 at Riverside Airport - a Senior Squadron, Sq 20 at Chino Airport - a Composite Squadron, Sq 25 at Cable Airport  - a Composite Squadron, Sq 29 at Naval Weapons Station Corona - a Cadet Squadron, Sq 31 at Rialto Airport - a Cadet Squadron, Sq 45 at March Air Reserve Base - a Composite Squadron and Sq 59 at Hemet-Ryan Airport - a Composite Squadron.

Jett

I could be wrong, but was there a squadron in Victorville at all? Maybe it's defunct now, I have no idea. I just remember hearing about it awhile back.

ßτε

Yes, there is a squadron in Victorville, Squadron 120.

RADIOMAN015

Not sure what YOUR expectations are, that is the key.  Some adults join with too high expectations in certain areas only to find that reality is different than the expectation.

Basically Senior Members are the ones doing all the administrative documentation/asset control that  is required by our major funding source the USAF; much of it during regular weekly meetings.  Those with appropriate skills may also teach cadets in various subjects such as aerospace education, character development, emergency services, radio communications, etc.  Much of your professional development training you can do on line now.  Of course if you are interested in Emergency Services you will have to participate in training missions, most which are held during the weekends.

The key to being happy in Civil Air Patrol membership is to have realistic expectations.  Also, you are dealing with many different dedicated volunteers that are at various skills & academic training levels and compromise is an important trait to develop.
RM   

Critical AOA

I used to be in the squadron in Torrance CA.  That is of course too far for you and I would not recommend it.  However, I always heard very positive things about Riverside & Chino Squadrons.  I never really heard much about Victorville either way. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Flying Pig

If you want to work with cadets, I would look at Sq 45 at March ARB in Moreno Valley.  I was in charge of the cadet program about 10 years ago there, and they seem to still be truckin' along.  Also, Sq 59 at Hemet has a nice set up, but havnt had any contact with anyone there in a while.  I was a member of both.  I say "was" because I no longer live there.

Critical AOA

I will give March a thumbs up as well we they hosted the SLS I attended and seemed to be a real good crowd.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Private Investigator

You really have to look at each one. Just like if you want a new truck. Tom will say its Dodge, Dick is a Ford guy and Jane likes Toyotas. I prefer Chevys but the choice is up to you.

Have fun   8)

Critical AOA

Are you calling Ford drivers, dicks? ;)

BuckeyeDEJ

Ford drivers aren't such things.

Longtime Mustang guy here.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

SarDragon

No car like a Mopar.

And, to get us back on topic, I've worked with both March and Hemet, and they are both good squadrons.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BuckeyeDEJ

Before the bailouts, I might be inclined to agree. The Slant Six was bulletproof.

Best thing to do is check out the units. Get a feel for them. See where you would fit best. Personalities -- and definitely those of whoever's in charge -- define a unit's character, and they're all different....

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Critical AOA

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on July 23, 2012, 02:12:27 AM
Best thing to do is check out the units. Get a feel for them. See where you would fit best. Personalities -- and definitely those of whoever's in charge -- define a unit's character, and they're all different....

That pretty much sums it up especially if you are more or less equal distance from a few of them.