What Does the Mission Transport Pilot Qualification Require?

Started by old141pilot, June 29, 2012, 04:59:13 PM

old141pilot

If the squadron has a dozen airplanes and check pilots, obtaining the Transport (VFR) qualification seems pretty straight forward.  However, there may be other circumstances.  For example, can a person that has a private pilot's license and obtained a BFR at a local airport obtain the mission pilot rating even if his/her squadron does not own a corporate aircraft?

The reason I ask:  There seems to be many different interpretations for what is required to obtain credit for the 'VFR block' in the qual report.  Anything from a BFR from anywhere, in any aircraft the licence holder is certified to fly, to a Form 5 in Squadron Corporate Aircraft only.

jayleswo

Not exactly sure what you are asking. The Transport Mission Pilot rating requires that:

1. You be a CAP Pilot (checkout/current CAPF 5)
2. Have 100 hours PIC
3. 50 hours x-country
4. Hold a General ES Ops Qual.

So, if no corporate aircraft is assigned or near your unit, you could obtain CAPF 5 in your own personal or club aircraft with a CAP Checkpilot however that would limit you to using that model aircraft. There are restrictions on using non-corporate aircraft for reimbursable AFAM however.
John Aylesworth, Lt Col CAP

SAR/DR MP, Mission Check Pilot Examiner, Master Observer
Earhart #1139 FEB 1982

bflynn

There is a SQTR for TMP - Transport Mission Pilot under My Ops Quals in eservices.

Full requirements are:
General Emergency Services
IS-100
IS-700
VFR Pilot IAW CAPR 60-1 (aka, a form 5 ride)
50 hours of cross country, verified by logbook
18 years old
100 hours PIC, verified by logbook

Under PIC time, there are signoffs for 175 and 200 hours because those are threshold limits for other qualifications.  You need one of the bottom three  (100 hours PIC, 175 hours PIC, 200 hours PIC).

Eclipse

There's no gray area here.

The use of member-owned aircraft for CAP activities is nearly non-existent, and in order to fly CAP aircraft, you must have had a CAPF 5 Annual Check Ride  in the respective aircraft type.  As a basic F5 pilot, you can rent the aircraft for proficiency, fly Cadet Orientation rides (if you meet the additional hours and other requirements for that), and transport aircraft for maintenance, relocation, etc.  You can also tow gliders if you meet the qualifications for that duty, and provide initial instruction to cadets if you are a CFI.

Being a Form 5 pilot also authorizes you to wear the basic CAP pilot wings as a permanent badge.

In my wing, as well as most others I would imagine, F5 pilots can become TMP's "automatically" as long as they have completed the other basic requirements (see above) such as GES to be invested in the ES program.  It is automatic in that you don't have to do further training, but it still has to be approved through the normal Operations Qualifications process.

Per CAPR 60-3

Transport Mission Pilots (TMP) are only allowed to fly certain sorties on authorized ES missions, and additional details of
the below restrictions can be found in CAPR 60-1.

TMPs can only:
(a) Transport Emergency Services qualified CAP members required for an authorized mission.
(b) Ferry aircraft required for an authorized ES mission.
(c) Fly "high bird" communications sorties on an authorized ES mission.
(d) Current and qualified FAA private pilots may transport parts and equipment owned by CAP or a CAP member to a mission base or staging area.
(e) Current and qualified FAA commercial pilots may transport parts and equipment not owned by CAP.
(Those last two assume a member owned aircraft, not a corporate aircraft).

In order to fly actual mission sorties such as search or photo, etc., you have to complete the SAR Mission Pilot training, and then successfully complete
a bi-annual Form 91 Mission Check Ride.

Once you are a fully-qualified Mission Pilot, you must perform an annual F5, a biannual F91, as well as fly at least once mission sortie that accomplishes
some of the advanced tasks to the satisfaction of an MP-SET (this is usually done via the F91).

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

You can get the training in ANY aircraft.

You just can use member owned aircraft on AFAM or CAM with out wing commander's or higher permission.

If in fact you don't have a CAP aircraft assigned.....and you are too far away from one.....all it takes is a little coordination with wing (and higher) to make it happen.

YOU DON"T NEED A FORM 5 to fly member own Aircraft on CAP missions (at least that's the way I read it) and of course everyone needs a form 91 to get mission qualified (I don't recall if you a F91 for TMP).
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

a2capt

I think you mean you "just can't use"..

..and I'm practically absolutely certain that you need a CAPF5 to fly on a CAP mission with anything other than using your own aircraft as transport to and from a mission base, for yourself/people/whatever. But even TMP has a CAPF5 requirement, in that a CAP VFR pilot rquirement is the CAPF5

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on June 29, 2012, 06:53:14 PMYOU DON"T NEED A FORM 5 to fly member own Aircraft on CAP missions (at least that's the way I read it) and of course everyone needs a form 91 to get mission qualified (I don't recall if you a F91 for TMP).

You aren't a CAP pilot unless you have a current Form 5, and you have to be a CAP pilot to do anything else.

You can't fly search missions unless you are an MP, you can't be an MP unless you have a current 91, and the first like of the CAPF 91 is "Evidence of a valid Form 5".

You are correct that with some proper authorization member-owned aircraft can be used, however you cannot fly for CAP, period without a current F5.

"That Others May Zoom"