Looking for suggestions on starting up a ground team from scratch.

Started by Bullitt, June 27, 2012, 07:09:45 PM

Bullitt

I am a new Senior Member and belong to a squadron which currently does not have a Ground Search and Rescue Team. I'm interested in learning from anyone else who has started up a program of their own or simply knows what it takes to get one going.

lordmonar

Step one:  Secure training/instructor.
Step two:  Gather team gear.
Step Three:  Come up with a training plan.
Step Four:  Coordinate with group/wing level panners so that your team/trainees can be intergrated with group/wing training and operations.
Step Five: Train, Train, Train........and Train!
Step Six: Develope a sustainment training plan.  Now that you got your five man team...what are you going to do when one of them quits?

The biggest hurdles are going to be steps one and four.

Finding a qualified instructor or getting to training cross state may be difficult.  And once you have trained your team getting anyone to include them in the operations may be a challenge.

Good luck.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ol'fido

May I suggest that you find an old, grizzled, steely eyed Ground Team guy. The kind with a lot of miles on his boots. The kind that still wears a plain old LBE. The kind whose BDUs are a bit faded. The kind whose CAPID starts with a 1XXXXXX. The kind that ain't been to NBB, HMRS, or NESA. The kind that talks low, talks slow, and don't talk too much(Thank you, Duke). IOW, the kind that is really competent and actually knows what he's talking about.

Go do your sign offs and tasks with an approved SET and then let that ^^^ guy teach you all the other things you need to know that ain't in the friggin' task guide.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Walkman

Quote from: ol'fido on June 27, 2012, 10:29:35 PM
May I suggest that you find an old, grizzled, steely eyed Ground Team guy. The kind with a lot of miles on his boots. The kind that still wears a plain old LBE. The kind whose BDUs are a bit faded. The kind whose CAPID starts with a 1XXXXXX. The kind that ain't been to NBB, HMRS, or NESA. The kind that talks low, talks slow, and don't talk too much(Thank you, Duke). IOW, the kind that is really competent and actually knows what he's talking about.

Go do your sign offs and tasks with an approved SET and then let that ^^^ guy teach you all the other things you need to know that ain't in the friggin' task guide.

I hope I can be that kind of guy when I'm grizzled.

Private Investigator

Quote from: ol'fido on June 27, 2012, 10:29:35 PM
May I suggest that you find an old, grizzled, steely eyed Ground Team guy.

That guy, we humor him a lot.   ::)

Private Investigator

Quote from: Bullitt on June 27, 2012, 07:09:45 PM
I am a new Senior Member and belong to a squadron which currently does not have a Ground Search and Rescue Team. I'm interested in learning from anyone else who has started up a program of their own or simply knows what it takes to get one going.

Are you a Cadet, Composite or Senior Squadron? And why do they do not have a GT?

It is best to do joint training with a Unit that has a GT.

davedove

Quote from: Private Investigator on June 28, 2012, 08:10:38 AM

I second that suggestion.  Look around for nearby units and see which ones have an active ground team.  Once you find one, become their best friends and join in with their training as you develop your own program.  Later, you can return the favor.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Bullitt

Thank you.

Quote from: lordmonar on June 27, 2012, 07:56:14 PM
Step one:  Secure training/instructor.
Step two:  Gather team gear.
Step Three:  Come up with a training plan.
Step Four:  Coordinate with group/wing level panners so that your team/trainees can be intergrated with group/wing training and operations.
Step Five: Train, Train, Train........and Train!
Step Six: Develope a sustainment training plan.  Now that you got your five man team...what are you going to do when one of them quits?

The biggest hurdles are going to be steps one and four.

Finding a qualified instructor or getting to training cross state may be difficult.  And once you have trained your team getting anyone to include them in the operations may be a challenge.

Good luck.

Bullitt

We are a Composite Squadron which has been in existence since the 60's. I think a lot has to do with the fact that starting up a team, maintaining it, and commiting has been an issue for many; especially those with demanding careers.

Quote from: Private Investigator on June 28, 2012, 08:10:38 AM
Quote from: Bullitt on June 27, 2012, 07:09:45 PM

Are you a Cadet, Composite or Senior Squadron? And why do they do not have a GT?