Main Menu

GT3

Started by C/2d Lt, June 20, 2012, 05:50:35 PM

C/2d Lt

How often do you go out on Search and Rescue missions in CAP?  How often do they happen?
C/1st Lt Neuman                                                 Cadet Executive Officer    NER-NY- 135                                    

Kansas Wing Winter Encampment ES Flight-2012       *GTM3, MRO, UDF, FLM, MSA
New York Wing Encampment-
              2012- Golf Flight Inflight
              2013- Charlie Flight Commander- Honor Flight for the Encampment
              2014- Squadron 2 Commander

krnlpanick

Depends - how many boy scout troops are in your area?

*bazinga*
2nd Lt. Christopher A. Schmidt, CAP

Eclipse

It depends on your area, wing, and mother nature.

Some wings that have strong relationships with their state and local agencies have all the work they can handle - missing persons, disaster assistance,
SAR, and other activities.

Others have less to do.

The weather is a big factor.  2005 was a big year for CAP, because of the crazy weather, but we haven't had a year like that since (so we're probably due).

"That Others May Zoom"

krnlpanick

In all seriousness, I think it largely depends on where you are - from a State of Coloado report CAP completed 66 rescue missions in fiscal year 2010. This is probably slightly more than a lot of wings.
2nd Lt. Christopher A. Schmidt, CAP

Angus

Quote from: Eclipse on June 20, 2012, 06:03:52 PM

The weather is a big factor.  2005 was a big year for CAP, because of the crazy weather, but we haven't had a year like that since (so we're probably due).

Go outside, turn around three times, spit, and cure to ward off that bad juju.

But seriously though OP I can tell you since you live the next Wing over we don't usually get too many in MAWG.   I'd venture a guess and say that NYWG is rougly similar.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

That Anonymous Guy

Quote from: Angus on June 20, 2012, 06:11:17 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 20, 2012, 06:03:52 PM

Go outside, turn around three times, spit, and cure to ward off that bad juju.

But seriously though OP I can tell you since you live the next Wing over we don't usually get too many in MAWG.   I'd venture a guess and say that NYWG is rougly similar.
Especially Lower NYWG.

Eclipse

The "problem" with most major metro areas is that they have the funding and the resources to man their own departments, and when they need
additional resources they can pay other departments to come and help.

We've found the majority of our customers are in suburban and rural areas, which is fine because, for whatever reason, that's also where the
majority of our member live.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on June 20, 2012, 06:29:49 PM
for whatever reason, that's also where the majority of our member live.

Life sucks a little less there than in the mega-urban center you live in (although I guess technically it counts as a suburb) >:D.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on June 20, 2012, 11:15:27 PM

Life sucks a little less there than in the mega-urban center you live in (although I guess technically it counts as a suburb) >:D.

I meant that the major city in my wing has a very small presence in comparison to the rest of the state, which is primarily rural
past a certain point.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on June 20, 2012, 11:54:18 PM

Life sucks a little less there than in the mega-urban center you live in (although I guess technically it counts as a suburb) >:D .

I meant that the major city in my wing has a very small presence in comparison to the rest of the state, which is primarily rural
past a certain point.

I live near the rural border. I-55 is a few minutes a way, and once there, it's literally all downhill.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on June 20, 2012, 11:54:18 PM

past a certain point.

I know... Sarcasm and humor don't translate well. Or it could just be my sense of humor..

Anyways, ground teams and stuff.

ol'fido

I live in the very, very rural part of Illinois. I have also been associated with CAP since 1977. I can count on one hand the number of times I have been on a lost aircraft search that was an actual lost aircraft. DR and ELT missions are a little more prevalent.

Since you titled this thread "GT3", I assume you actually mean how often do they have missions for you to get qualified? If that is the case, there are probably 3-4 training missions each year around the wing. Your wing may vary.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006