Annual Squadron Awards

Started by majdomke, June 04, 2012, 07:11:03 PM

majdomke

Most squadrons have an annual award ceremony to recognize their members. Some of the awards presented are on the national level such as VFW, AFSA and AFA awards. Others follow the Wing/National structure and those members are forwarded up the chain for nomination at the next echelon. I wanted to see what other squadrons do to recognize their members using awards that are more personal, ie. Most Improved Cadet, etc... Oftentimes we want to recognize our members but can't give everyone Cadet of the Year or Senior Member of the Year awards. What does your squadron do?

NC Hokie

We have a local Cadet of the Year award for the year's most outstanding cadet. The cadet's name is placed on a permanent plaque and the cadet is presented with the Air Force Association Outstanding Cadet Award (framed cert and ribbon/medal). If the cadet meets the requirements, a separate nomination is sent up the chain for the wing CotY award.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Spaceman3750

We got an Achievement Award approved for one of our members. I also wrote up our CDC for Cadet Programs Officer of the Year (she won).

You could also just do something like "We want to recognize SM Bagodoughnuts for his outstanding work manning the coffee maker with this bag of Intelligentsia premium coffee/Starbucks gift card/some other small token."

majdomke

One's I've used for my cadets in the past have been:
Cadet of the Year
Cadet Officer of the Year
Cadet NCO of the Year
Most Improved Cadet

and of course the AFA and AFSA

This year I was finally able to nominate for the VFW awards because we have a Color Guard. In the past I've only had an Honor Guard which didn't qualify.

No idea what to do for seniors... Typical ones like:
Senior Member of the Year or Officer of the Year for those out there opposed to calling us old guys Senior Members
Aerospace Officer of the Year - only because we have more than one AEO

It's hard to come up with SM awards, at least from my perspective which is part of the reason I started this topic. Suggestions are most appreciated...

bosshawk

Suggestions:

Pilot of the Year
Observer of the Year
Ground Team Member of the Year
CD Member of the Year

etc.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

MSG Mac

The problem with awards is not getting them, but a lack of nominations or writeups for the award. When I was a Wing/DP we had a tough time getting nominations for SM of the Year-out of 27 units we would get 4 or 5 nominations. Hint guys and gals, you don't get it, if you don't put them in for it.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

lordmonar

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 05, 2012, 05:10:44 PM
The problem with awards is not getting them, but a lack of nominations or writeups for the award. When I was a Wing/DP we had a tough time getting nominations for SM of the Year-out of 27 units we would get 4 or 5 nominations. Hint guys and gals, you don't get it, if you don't put them in for it.
+1.  Additional hint.......if you feel you deserve it....put yourself in for it!  Sometimes your boss needs a little reminder once and awhile.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Woodsy

My local squadron does certificates of appreciation/participation for events.  For example, if 20 members volunteer to run a promo booth at the county fair, or help with parking at an event, they will get a certificate for it.  It's easy, quick and cheap to print them out and can be done at home or on a squadron printer, and it makes the member feel appreciated and worthwhile.  The expense is minimal, the payoff through increased morale and sense of belonging is huge. 

Private Investigator

Quote from: Woodsy on June 05, 2012, 07:28:45 PM
My local squadron does certificates of appreciation/participation for events.  For example, if 20 members volunteer to run a promo booth at the county fair, or help with parking at an event, they will get a certificate for it.  It's easy, quick and cheap to print them out and can be done at home or on a squadron printer, and it makes the member feel appreciated and worthwhile.  The expense is minimal, the payoff through increased morale and sense of belonging is huge.

+1