Logging Simulated time

Started by CAPChief, May 18, 2012, 02:56:22 AM

CAPChief

So, I was afforded an amazing opportunity today, and flew about a half hour in the Oceana Naval Air station F/A-18 simulator. Did three takeoffs and landing from the runway, and a simulated carrier trap. (my first try was a bolter, but nailed it in the second try) The pilot that set it up for us was saying that because this is an accredited simulator, they log the time they sim in it.

Although I took the time very seriously, it still felt like a video game. A really amazing and realistic, full cockpit, 360 degree view, video game.

Half of me wants to log this in my logbook, but I was sweating much worse getting checked out in a Cessna 172 for the first time last week.

Woodsy

We ran into this last summer when our squadron was given 8 hours of P-3 sim time.  At the end of a long conversation, our pilots decided not to log the time. 

a2capt

Generally, you can log it if you have the type rating, are qualified to be PIC of that type of aircraft, et al.

However ... now the other part. It's not a certificated aircraft that you can have a type rating for in the FAA world. Which ensues the long conversation on whether to log the time or not.

Yes, it's a "real" simulator. The pilots of that aircraft use it for currency, but .. it's still SIM time.

I've logged a bunch of hours in the electronic logbook under it's own category, but for official reporting purposes I don't bother with those.

AirDX

I log it - I've done T-39, C-130, C-17 and B-727 simulators, all but the first full motion.  It's in it's own logbook column, and I DO NOT add it to total time, or any other column, it just stands on its own.  There's no real reason to put it in, just memories.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

tsrup

Couple things to consider here:

Are you turbine rated? 
Multi-engine rated?
Is the person setting up the simulator a CFI as far as the FAA is concerned?

If you are appropriately rated for the category and class of that aircraft, then by all means.

If you are not appropriately rated, but the person running the sim is an FAA CFI, then you can log it as dual received, as long as the instructor consents that you did, in fact, receive flight training.

If neither of the above is true, then just keep track of it as a great experience.
Paramedic
hang-around.

Al Sayre

It's your logbook, you can write anything you want.  Put in the time and just note that it is not useable for credit toward an FAA certificate or license (unless there was an instructor to sign it off.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

bflynn

Quote from: Al Sayre on May 18, 2012, 11:34:04 AM
It's your logbook, you can write anything you want.  Put in the time and just note that it is not useable for credit toward an FAA certificate or license (unless there was an instructor to sign it off.

I agree.  Log the time, put in your actual sim time, but zero out the appropriate columns to the right.  It's your log book, you can log what you want to log.

jeders

Quote from: bflynn on May 18, 2012, 12:53:09 PM
Quote from: Al Sayre on May 18, 2012, 11:34:04 AM

I agree.  Log the time, put in your actual sim time, but zero out the appropriate columns to the right.  It's your log book, you can log what you want to log.
+1. A couple years ago I got a chance to fly a Class C C-130 sim. It's in my logbook, and I'm not even a pilot.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Flying Pig

Like what was said above.  You can log it.  It just wont count towards anything.  Basically its for your own fun personal trip down memory lane in a few years.

They log it because they can and it counts.  I would just write in the date, F/A-18 Sim under aircraft type and then dont note any times in your colums.  Just go all the way to the notes section where your CFI normally writes in what you did and put in ".5 F/A-18 sim at Oceano NAS, freaking awesome and radical man!!"

I often fly in a military aircraft as an LEO.  I just wrote in the date, tail #, aircraft type (HH-60G, C26, CH46, UH-60, OH-58, HH-65) and then go to the notes section and just wrote in why I was in the aircraft and how long the mission lasted.  Nothing in the time columns.  I do it for records so I can go back and refer for experience that I have XX amount of mission time in that aircraft.  I put it in my logbook vs a separate document just because its easier.  But I dont have any time in those aircraft as a pilot. 

Just a caveat....a discussion came up once,  I am a CFI-H, I can fly and have flown an OH-58, a Jet Ranger, a Huey, so when I was in the OH58, another pilot said, "Your a CFI, log it"  I never touched the controls and wasnt in the aircraft as a pilot.....so it comes down to #1, the honor system.  I wasnt instructing this multi-thousand hour Vietnam era helo driver, and #2 with an FAA license, I cannot provide flight instruction in a military "public use" aircraft.  And #3, unless he logs it as dual received, I cant claim it as dual given.  I know plenty of pilots who, as a CFI, log time just by being in the front seat.  I say to them, do what you want, but your not going to see "Dual Received" in my book so good luck explaining it if you ever get called on it. 

CAPChief

Thanks for all of the advice. I am going to put an entry in my logbook, but I am not going to count the hours, takeoffs and landings. The Navy LT that got us into the sim is a CFII, but he was too busy to count it as real flight instruction.