when were ribbons first authorized on the aviator shirt uniform?

Started by starshippe, May 09, 2012, 04:13:36 AM

starshippe

SarDragon

The best I can do is some time between late 1999 and 2005. I don't think I have a copy of the ICL any more.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

About 1995, which is around the same time we were authorised to wear the "U.S." cutouts and the grey epaulettes.

The prior grey/white uniform was about as plain as could be: blazer nameplate with rank and nothing else.

Even though I personally don't like the aviator combo (more accurately, the lack of colour), I think it was a very good thing to modify it to wear CAP badges/ribbons on it; I thought it was quite unfair that those who cannot/do not wear the AF blue uniform could not display what they had earned in CAP.

If there were only decent headgear authorised for it and a service coat that looks AVIATION...not necessarily military, but AVIATION-orientated.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SarDragon

Were the ribbons and grey name tag allowed concurrently with the blazer name tag? All I really remember is that the blazer name tag went away between when I got active again (1999), and the new 39-1 (2005), and that I never wore it on that uniform. I got the grey one right away.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

caphornbuckle

Yes.  At one time Senior Members had the choice of wearing either the black nameplate with the grade/wing or the nameplate with the epaulets.  I believe it was about the time the grey nameplate and epaulets were introduced that they had the black nameplate reserved for the blazer only.
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: caphornbuckle on May 09, 2012, 06:19:42 AM
Yes.  At one time Senior Members had the choice of wearing either the black nameplate with the grade/wing or the nameplate with the epaulets.  I believe it was about the time the grey nameplate and epaulets were introduced that they had the black nameplate reserved for the blazer only.

Correct.  There was a phase-in/phase-out period for the two orders of G/W dress.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Pylon

The phase-out of the blazer nameplate/no epaulets on the aviator shirt came around the same time, IIRC, as the phase-out of the guayaberra shirt (*shudder*)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SarDragon

Phase outs:
Maroon epaulets and Blue name plates for SMs - 1 Oct '96
Guyabera - 1 Jul '97

The blazer name plate of G/W went away later than that, because I was active again ('99).

[added]
I just looked in the '97 CAPM 39-1, and it discusses the addition of the grey stuff in the summary of changes, but there's no change bars n the text area, possibly indicating introduction via ICL prior to then.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Pylon on May 09, 2012, 07:46:27 PM
The phase-out of the blazer nameplate/no epaulets on the aviator shirt came around the same time, IIRC, as the phase-out of the guayaberra shirt (*shudder*)

Which, thankfully, I never saw anyone wear.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Camas

I joined CAP in 2000 and both versions of the aviator uniform were worn (black nametag or grey epaulet version). When I attended CLC in 2002 I was politely informed by my wing commander who was present at the time that I was out of uniform (black nametag) and that I should now wear the "military" version of the G/W from now on. I never saw a written notice to that effect but, as he was wearing eagles on his shoulders, I thought it would be really cool if I just followed his advice.

I think it was around 2004 or so when the ribbons were permitted for wear.

SarDragon

Quote from: Camas on May 09, 2012, 10:19:32 PM
I think it was around 2004 or so when the ribbons were permitted for wear.

I can't find all of my olde references, but I'm pretty sure ribbons on the G/w were authorized before 2004. I have a pic of me wearing ribbons to the 2001  or 2002 CAWG conference.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

starshippe

thanks. i requested ribbons on the g/w sometime in the 80s, i think. when that was rejected, i just lost interest in ribbons. also tried wearing my navy dolphins, and that didn't go over very well.

once i saw ribbons being worn, i had to submit for all of the achievement awards. i was just wondering how long i had my head in the sand. looks like about a decade. and, thats about average for me.

added.... the grey tie looked very nice with the grey epaulets, but i think i bought the last one before they were disallowed.

bill

The CyBorg is destroyed

The ribbons-and-rank aviator shirt came into use no later than 1995-96.  That is when I started seeing it at wing events (no-one in my squadron wore the "corporate" uniforms, but others in the wing did).

I don't remember seeing the plain blazer-nameplate set after about 1996.  I think that those who chose to/had to wear that version were (understandably) so pleased that at last they had a "real" (if colourless) uniform with rank and ribbons that they jettisoned the previous one as fast as the rest of us jettisoned the berry boards around the same time.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SarDragon

I have taken all of my info from various versions of CAPM 39-1. I'm still looking for the intermediate ICLs that introduced/deleted the various items prior to formal incorporation in CAPM 39-1. All of my personal experience in the matter dates after 9/99, so I'm pretty sure of whatever dates I have provided.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

I have to figure that as slow as some of the phasing has drawn on items, in or out, that the purple people eaters went *fast*. Gone. Probably back ordered to hell when the replacements were made.

Larry Mangum

Found the answer in the CAP Knowledgebase:

"National Board Meeting Minutes 1-2 March 2002
AGENDA ITEM 13 XP-01-0302 Action SUBJECT: Committee Reports
a. Wear of CAP Ribbons on the aviator shirt. The August 2001 National Board referred this item back to committee for further discussion. The committee recommends the National Board approve the wear of CAP distinctive ribbons on the aviator shirt. ITEM ONE: Approve wear of CAP Ribbons on the aviator shirt.
MOTION CARRIED."
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

starshippe

thanks for taking the time to check on this.

bill