Help with a cadet..

Started by Sgt. Fischer, April 30, 2012, 07:44:46 PM

Sgt. Fischer

CAP members,

I recently got a slightly autistic recruit in My flight. Do you have any suggestions on how I might handle him?

Stay Alert!
Stay Alive!
CAP Safety!

Nathan

No differently than any other cadet, especially if the autism is only slight. Autistic individuals have a tendency to thrive in the structure-rich environment CAP offers.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

AngelWings

Don't be too hard on him. If he isn't doing able to do one or two things because of his condition than don't ride him on it. Push him to work hard. Other than that, treat him like the rest. He'll learn to do well or he will leave, just like other cadets who lose interest or motivation.

Eclipse

Do not try to "handle" him - treat him like the other cadets, and if you find he is unable to perform as expected, discuss the situation with the commander
in a discreet, professional, small-circle manner.

If he has legitimate special needs, your commander should have already discussed the circumstances, expectations, and limitations of the program in accommodating them.  A plan should have been worked out with his parents, and probably involved the wing CC.

"That Others May Zoom"

titanII

No longer active on CAP talk

jimmydeanno

If you are responsible for overseeing his success in the program, you should be able to have a conversation with your CDC, who has most likely had a discussion with the cadet's parents.

Each person with autism is different.  They handle rules differently, interact with people differently, and have different things that "set them off."

My cousin, for example, can warn those around him when he is going to have an outburst, or needs some time off from the stimulus around him.

There are some kids that just have trouble relating to others because they can't translate emotion well.

There are others that don't know how to handle any form of criticism because they take it so personally, it makes them break down.

I'd just make sure what types of situations to avoid and how the cadet best likes to handle the challenges they have.  Treating them like a normal cadet when they fall out of formation to avoid a breakdown isn't going to work as well and may make this drastically worse.  This is one of those "don't treat people the same, treat them fairly" situations and being attentive to the cadet's needs will make a big difference.

This doesn't mean that there will necessarily be issues or that you will need to alter interactions, but whomever knows him best should be able to provide assistance if needed.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Майор Хаткевич

Great advice all around.

Each and every person is different. Especially today when Autism is assigned for anything borderline ADD/similar.