Anyone on here attending the 2012 IG College?

Started by Laplace, April 29, 2012, 08:03:47 PM

Laplace

I am looking forward to this course and wondering if anyone else on CAP Talk is also attending.  If you've been in the past, do you have any tips or helpful suggestions?

Thanks!

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Laplace

Quote from: phirons on April 29, 2012, 08:04:35 PM
I'll be there.

Look forward to meeting you. 

airdad

Len Schindler, Lt Col, CAP
Northeast Region/IGT

DrJbdm

I went two years ago, it is a good program with lots of information to cover. One important tip: Make sure you wear a proper uniform, preferably the USAF style uniform but if you do not meet the grooming or weight standards then the white and grey uniforms are acceptable as well. Polo shirt uniforms are not authorized. At least this was the rule when I attended. They were picky about uniforms, it needed to be completely up to proper standards, and no leeway was given. Remember, this is an active Air Force Base with lots of active duty air force officers and airmen around at all times, including at the building where the IG College takes place. Proper Air Force protocol is vital!!

You will have time to really bond with your study group, most times everyone tries to get off base at least once during the time there and spend time doing something fun with your group. It's a great networking opportunity. If it wasn't for the cost involved I would come back this year as staff. (It was free last session...NHQ had extra funding and paid for everything including billeting)

Kirtland AFB is hot, make sure you stay well hydrated and arrive in decent physical conditioning, trust me you will appreciate the effort you put into getting into better shape now. The food at the base cafeteria is pretty good and extremely reasonable. Most of your meals will be taken there. The accommodations were pretty nice, I had a two room suite, but others had a single room hotel room, all of it on base. Either way, it was all pretty good. No complaints.

One of the things they had tried to get into place when I attended was getting the program approved for college credit at the graduate level. So for those of us with a bachelor's degree, this would work nicely in applying some hours towards a Masters program. From my understanding it was approved but had a few issues that hadn't been ironed out, perhaps by now that has been done. That would be a nice benefit, although it would probably have a small extra cost involved.

Enjoy the experience, it's a great program.

Laplace

Thanks for advice!  I've been to Kirtland AFB before and am going again 2 weeks before the IG College for a SWR IG weekend meeting.  I'm used to south Louisiana humid heat, but you're right, hydration will be a must.

NHQ is paying for billeting this session as well.  Thanks again, I'm sure it will be enjoyable.

DrJbdm

I'm really glad to see NHQ is paying again, that makes it accessible for the IG's from all the Wings to be able to attend. Having been to Kirtland you know about the place then and will fit right into the groove, being from south Louisiana you will be right at home with the heat, although you may miss the humidity! It's a very dry place. I grew up in New Orleans as a kid, over in Jefferson Parrish; I'm no stranger to heat. Living in Texas now I get my fair share of the hot stuff.

Something to keep in mind about billeting, don't waste your time looking for elevators in some of the places....there are none. Its good ole fashioned, carry your bags up the stairs and walk. As I said, this is an Air Force base where fitness is key. Don't expect alot of accommodations for those unable to walk a little distance, climb a few flights of stairs or carry some bags.

I would love to go again this year, but my work schedule has heated up so much with mandatory overtime, all vacations have been cancelled for the next 13 to 18 weeks until we get our new people trained. As a field training officer, I'm doubly stuck. My department would gladly give me the time off, with pay to attend the IG College again, even as a staff member. However, we are so short; no one is getting time off. Last time, I was granted time off with pay. My boss is a big supporter of CAP and of the Inspector General Division, it helps that our department Chaplain is a retired Air Force Colonel and former CAP Chaplain at the Region and National level. 

Keep in touch, PM with your experiences, or if you have any specific questions.

Private Investigator

Quote from: DrJbdm on May 04, 2012, 12:09:57 AM
       One important tip: Make sure you wear a proper uniform, preferably the USAF style uniform but if you do not meet the grooming or weight standards then the white and grey uniforms are acceptable as well. Polo shirt uniforms are not authorized.

+1 very important indeed.

I wear the white and grey uniform on military bases. People always asked, "Are you Canadian?"   8)

SARDOC

Private Investigator

c5engr

No
You gotta be tough to fly the heavies!

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Eeyore

I will be attending, I look forward to meeting those that I have not already met.