Main Menu

CAP Internship

Started by CAP4117, April 27, 2012, 02:38:32 PM

CAP4117

I have to do an (unpaid) internship this summer for my human services major and I was wondering if there was any way I could somehow incorporate CAP, preferably on the ES side (as part of my education towards emergency management). Has anything like this been done before? I don't get the sense from my professor that it has to be an official CAP-sponsored internship, more like an agreement with an ESO somewhere to complete a project or assist them and then get an evaluation at the end. It would be for 200 hours. Thoughts?

Al Sayre

Contact the NOC and see if they can use you.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

RogueLeader

I don't think that it would be a probl, so long as your proffessor signs off on it, with the exception of the 200 hours in a summer.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

CAP4117

Where is the NOC located? It would probably have to be in northern IL, because I am also taking other classes. RogueLeader, do you think 200 hours is too much? It seems like with all the SAREXs, trainings, etc. it could be doable, especially over the summer. I might be wrong, though.

RogueLeader

200 hours is 5-40 hour weeks of just sar paperwork in a 12 week time period. I just don't see there being that much in most places. Now if you were to combine that with admin for an encampment, that would be a whole lot easier for getting the time.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Al Sayre

Quote from: CAP4117 on April 27, 2012, 03:12:07 PM
Where is the NOC located? It would probably have to be in northern IL, because I am also taking other classes. RogueLeader, do you think 200 hours is too much? It seems like with all the SAREXs, trainings, etc. it could be doable, especially over the summer. I might be wrong, though.

The NOC is at Maxwell AFB, so that's a bit of a conflict.  Barring that, I'd contact your local EOC/Sheriff's Office/911 call center and talk to them.  Probably your best bet if you need to stay local.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

CAP4117

I was also hoping to get ES off the ground in my squadron, where it is nonexistent. It seems like that could add a fair amount of time. Doing an encampment is a good idea!
Edit: unfortunately, I live in Chicago, and the local emergency management folks have been less than receptive.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: CAP4117 on April 27, 2012, 03:26:53 PM
I was also hoping to get ES off the ground in my squadron, where it is nonexistent. It seems like that could add a fair amount of time. Doing an encampment is a good idea!
Edit: unfortunately, I live in Chicago, and the local emergency management folks have been less than receptive.

Try Will County, one of the folks there is a member.

CAP4117

Thanks Spaceman! Would you mind PMing me his/her name?

FlyTiger77

If the professor will buy off on it, the wing ESO may have a project that you could work on independently that would fit the bill. Perhaps develop a syllabus for a major training event/exercise, etc.

Quote from: CAP4117 on April 27, 2012, 03:26:53 PM
...I live in Chicago...

Cubs or White Sox?
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

manfredvonrichthofen

I used CAP as an internship for one of my classes, but it was only ten hours. It is doable, though with that time requirement it would be hard to do.

CAP4117

That's a great idea! Who would I contact about that initially? (COC wise)
These are some good options!
Brewers >:D I'm from Milwaukee originally

Ed Bos

I did a semester long internship in an emergency operations center, that was a great boon to my ES experience (IMHO).

You might want to try contacting FEMA Region V and see if they have any similar opportunities that you could take advantage of.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: CAP4117 on April 27, 2012, 02:38:32 PM
I have to do an (unpaid) internship this summer for my human services major and I was wondering if there was any way I could somehow incorporate CAP, preferably on the ES side (as part of my education towards emergency management). Has anything like this been done before? I don't get the sense from my professor that it has to be an official CAP-sponsored internship, more like an agreement with an ESO somewhere to complete a project or assist them and then get an evaluation at the end. It would be for 200 hours. Thoughts?
Look at your state emergency management agency.  Also you might check with your county or a close county emergency management.  Even the Red Cross might be good to look at.  I don't think CAP is a good choice especially IF you are already in CAP, choose another organization and learn something :angel:
RM 

CAP4117

^ I have already done an internship with the Red Cross and one with a city EMA (a suburb of Chicago). I have looked at the state EMA but it doesn't look like that can work out on such short notice. (Also, it is too far for me to commute) The fact is, I'm still quite new to CAP (2nd Lt) and haven't had much exposure to what ESOs actually do, especially from the standpoint of building relationships with other agencies. I think the whole process is fascinating, and I would like to learn about all aspects of the ES mission. I think I could learn quite a lot, and contribute to CAP at the same time  ;)

ol'fido

At one time back in the mid to late 90s, IL Wing had an intern for the wing.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

caphornbuckle

I, too, am working toward my Human Services degree.  It might be beneficial for you to look into the CISM program.  This is pretty close to Human Services work.  Please let me know if this works out for you.  I might look into CAP as a possible internship as well.
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

CAP_truth

Use the CoC and contact your wing ESO for assistance. He may be able to get you in contact with someone that could help.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

CAP4117

Thanks for the input everyone! I have spoken with my professor and she's not completely sold on the idea of a CAP internship, but I'm working on it. She knows I am interested in going into emergency management, and is generally very supportive of that. I appreciate the ideas for internships outside of CAP, too - if anyone has any more, let me know!  :)

Quote from: caphornbuckle on April 28, 2012, 09:55:19 PM
I, too, am working toward my Human Services degree.  It might be beneficial for you to look into the CISM program.  This is pretty close to Human Services work.  Please let me know if this works out for you.  I might look into CAP as a possible internship as well.

I will definitely let you know!

CAP4117

So, I'm still working on getting permission from my professor to do the internship, but I have a COC question: In contacting the wing ESO about the internsip, do I go through my squadron commander or the group ESO? (I am the squadron ESO, as of today)

Edit: I'm confused because this has to do with both the squadron and ES chain of command. Thanks!