Boots for non uniform use

Started by Angus, April 17, 2012, 12:49:42 PM

Angus

With some of the work I do outside of CAP I need a good pair of boots.  The pair I've been using for that work (Red Cross, etc) has finally worn out.  Since I have no uniform requirements there I was looking in the boots used for ABU's and so on.  From those that have used these boots how do they stock up against the old standard jump boot? 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

CAP_Marine

Just out of curiosity, why would you be limiting yourself to a military uniform boot when not faced with uniform requirements? There are many commercial use boots that are far more comfortable and just as durable. Merrell or Asolo hikers are two that immediately come to mind.

Angus

Cause I've always had good luck with military boots. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

CAP_Marine

whatevah

I use Haix boots at work, but they're pretty expensive compared to what most people on here use. :)  if I didn't need steel toe and the fancy blood barrier stuff, is probably go with a pair of lightweight Bates boots. Whatever you do, check for the weight and how well they breathe.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

manfredvonrichthofen

I love military boots too, I wear them constantly. I have had one pair of Army ACU boots, the ones they issued to us just before Iraq, and I wore them all through Iraq, a year afterwards, a couple of months in Afghanistan, then a year afterwards and I still wore them until about three weeks ago until there just wasn't enough tread on them. And they were so easy to clean, I had them looking great even after they had been completely submerged in motor oil once, covered, literally, in blood, and with a the gnastiness that an infantryman would encounter in Iraq and Afghanistan. I am looking for a new pair now. But I haven't found a pair that fits just right yet.

Sgt. Fischer

If you need a good pair of boots, "Big 5 Sporting Goods" is a great place to buy them!

Stay Alert!
Stay Alive!
CAP Safety!

AngelWings

Go Corcoran. I've heard their ABU boots are comfortable, good looking, and are extremely durable.

NM SAR

ABU boots.....vomit green.....good looking?!?

okay, off the soapbox

I've had very good luck with a pair of Cresta Gore-tex hikers from LL bean.

AngelWings

Quote from: NM SAR on May 01, 2012, 07:49:28 PM
ABU boots.....vomit green.....good looking?!?
Depends on the persons taste. I've seen ABU boots look great with the right type of jeans. I wear my tan ones all the time and I think they look good.

titanII

I know they're not military boots, but if you're looking for an ultra-functional boot that will last, I'd suggest you look at Asolo. I've had a pair of their backpacking boots for 3 years now, and they're in perfect shape. No rips, tears, nothing beyond a little worn down tread (which you can replace) and a new pair of laces. The Gore-Tex models are VERY waterproof- I've walked through many a stream, and tons of snow in them, just as long as you don't let the water go over the top of the boot. Also, they're comfortable! I've worn them on 15 mile hikes with 40lbs on my back, and they felt better than any boots I've ever had. The traction on them is decent- admittedly not as superb as Merrells- and there's minimal break-in time on the non-leather models (which I have).
Now, they can get a bit pricey- upwards of $200- but not too bad if you wait for a sale or a coupon (which I did, got mine for $175 I think). But if you're really going to use them often, then they're a good investment, as they will certainly last. Not to mention that many places that sell them (REI, for example) offer lifetime guarantees.
FYI, these are the ones I have: http://www.rei.com/product/747950/asolo-flame-gtx-hiking-boots-mens
No longer active on CAP talk

Pingree1492

Love these, wish they were authorized to wear with the flight uniform!
http://militarygear.com/mens-tactical-research-guardian-ct

Definitely getting a pair for ES when I have more time for CAP (i.e. I'm once again stationed in the States).
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

sarmed1

I wear the Bellville 690 desert flight boot as a general kicking around boot.  A little stiff once new, but once broken in I have found it to be one of the most comfortable military style boots I have ever worn.  I wore my first pair to the bone; 2005-2011 (generally 3 days per week). The only reason I didnt re-tread them was all of the "felt" was worn off the toes (generally looked a little trashy).

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

commando1

I LOVE the Bates Ultralite series. They were awesome! Lightweight, cool, inexpensive. I say inexpensive because they generally run about $70 as opposed to $110 on sale for the boots Pingree1492 suggested. I loved them and wore them every day for 3 years. The zipper on the side eventually failed though. YMMV
Non Timebo Mala