Not a single video in CAPCHANNEL that explains our 3 missions?!

Started by A.Member, March 27, 2012, 03:32:27 AM

A.Member

Shame on you NHQ PAO!  And people wonder why we remain a secret and why there continues to be a complete lack of consistency in our messaging/brand. 

The videos posted on CAPCHANNEL appear to be well made from a production standpoint.  However, the content, or lack thereof, is a huge problem.   Of the 6 videos listed, only 2 are mildly useful (the two Cadet Program videos).   Neither the "70 Year" video nor the "Multipurpose" video have any narrative or even text notating our mission, thus making them virtually useless.  The remaining 2 are completely worthless to any PAO/recruiting function.

The puzzling thing is that National used to have a video that at least touched on our 3 core missions and served as a great foundation for explaining who we are and what we do.   Those videos no longer exist on the NHQ site.   While they may be a bit outdated relative to some of the branding, any moderately skilled video producer could easily make the needed updates.

Producing a useful, high quality video that explains our organization and our missions in under 3 minutes should be a top priority for the NHQ PAO.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

lordmonar

It is hard to take your criticism seriously....when you still have that "I hate the triangle thingy" tag line.

To counter your criticism......when are you going to submit your script ideas to NHQ for production?  You ready to stand up and take on the progject of producing a video the highlights our three missions?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

A.Member

Quote from: lordmonar on March 27, 2012, 04:30:11 AM
It is hard to take your criticism seriously....when you still have that "I hate the triangle thingy" tag line.

To counter your criticism......when are you going to submit your script ideas to NHQ for production?  You ready to stand up and take on the progject of producing a video the highlights our three missions?
Whether you take my criticism seriously or not is irrelevant.  The validity of the issue I pointed out certainly has nothing to do with my tagline.   What I stated is fact.

If I had time and skills to build my own high quality video, I probably wouldn't be looking at CAPCHANNEL now would I?  I suspect 99% of the membership is in my same shoes, especially if you view some of the attempts on YouTube.   The fact is, it is the NHQ PAO's responsibilty to produce such videos, especially one so fundamental.  However, if I should ever find myself in that role, please feel free to question me more about it.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

coudano

Quote from: A.Member on March 27, 2012, 04:43:30 AM
If I had time and skills to build my own high quality video, I probably wouldn't be looking at CAPCHANNEL now would I?

Be careful what you wish for,
they have a track record of, uh, 'less than cool' videos.  (hint:  high quality videos are difficult and expensive to do well, as you have already attested)

Sometimes no press is better than bad press.

FARRIER

The talent pool exist in this organization, people who have actually worked in the field. My personal opinion, it may be a factor of equipment and/or the ability to get credit for the production.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

Pylon

Quote from: FARRIER on March 30, 2012, 05:09:07 AM
The talent pool exist in this organization, people who have actually worked in the field. My personal opinion, it may be a factor of equipment and/or the ability to get credit for the production.

Actually I'd say the most likely, most influential factor is probably resistance to outside help.  I guarantee the talent exists within the organization to get this done on the cheap, if not completely free.  But as with everything else, you'll notice the volunteer structure isn't always turned to nor fully utilized for its body of civilian expertise, resources, or tools.

Even better, CAP NHQ does have a full-time employee who's job is apparently multimedia production.  And yet, here we are.  No new significant video or multimedia material to share at open houses, recruiting drives, public events, and presentations for how many years?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RickRutledge

Brad Holley was the multimedia producer for CAP NHQ but he was RIF'd in last years budget cuts. They are down to 3-4 people in that whole office and a whole load of new stuff on their plate with the impeding CAP-USAF and governance changes.

I produced the :30 PSAs that are available on CAPChannel and we're working toward a handful of new PSA's that are 1080p and a couple of new "CAPAbilities" videos that we can distribute. It's all a process and I've got a day job, family, a squadron to command and upcoming PD training that I'm the director of, on top of being on an SUI team this year. Everyone's plates are a bit full, but we're working on it.
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Wing Public Affairs Officer
Oklahoma Wing
Broken Arrow Composite Squadron
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

Eclipse

Quote from: RickRutledge on October 29, 2012, 02:16:25 AM... a squadron to command and upcoming PD training that I'm the director of, on top of being on an SUI team this year. Everyone's plates are a bit full,

Which reinforces my constant harping about needing more people.

The above indicates roles for at least four members, but likely more since they should be worked on by a staff or a team.

Any time the response is "I'm too busy.", the counter should be "find help".

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on October 29, 2012, 07:44:55 PM
Quote from: RickRutledge on October 29, 2012, 02:16:25 AM... a squadron to command and upcoming PD training that I'm the director of, on top of being on an SUI team this year. Everyone's plates are a bit full,

The above indicates roles for at least four members, but likely more since they should be worked on by a staff or a team.

Exactly,  It sounds like rickrutledge is trying to do too much as well and needs to train a staff and delegate.  I'm sure Rick is a Valueable member of the Civil Air Patrol Team but needs to exercise some of the authority he's been given and use it.

Private Investigator

Must be busy, it took almost seven months to respond   ;)

RickRutledge

Quote from: Private Investigator on October 30, 2012, 02:13:12 AM
Must be busy, it took almost seven months to respond   ;)
For the record, I was pointed to this thread by another poster. I was unaware before then that this was even a topic of discussion.
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Oklahoma Wing
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

RickRutledge

Quote from: SARDOC on October 30, 2012, 01:27:00 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 29, 2012, 07:44:55 PM

Exactly,  It sounds like rickrutledge is trying to do too much as well and needs to train a staff and delegate.  I'm sure Rick is a Valueable member of the Civil Air Patrol Team but needs to exercise some of the authority he's been given and use it.

If I could find the time to train someone to do it, I would. But at this point, there's been no authority given only conversation about getting it done and how. Aggregating the resources is the really hard part of this whole operation. Expecting to do more with far fewer people is the essence of busy.
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Oklahoma Wing
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

Eclipse

Quote from: RickRutledge on October 31, 2012, 04:45:13 PMExpecting to do more with far fewer people is the essence of busy.

That's actually the essence of poor management and planning, and it doesn't actually work.

The result is almost always former members - either because their contribution was so over and above the norm that they
developed an inappropriate "ownership" of the situation, and when inevitably someone above them disagrees with their
direction, they leave, or, all too commonly, they simply burn out and quit.

"That Others May Zoom"

RickRutledge

Quote from: Eclipse on October 31, 2012, 05:35:51 PM
Quote from: RickRutledge on October 31, 2012, 04:45:13 PMExpecting to do more with far fewer people is the essence of busy.

That's actually the essence of poor management and planning, and it doesn't actually work.

I couldn't agree with you more. But the fact of the matter is, the paid position at NHQ to do this function no longer exists. Someone has to do it or it will end up being another coulda, shoulda, woulda project and opportunity that CAP misses the boat on. But, poor management and planning usually ends up making someone busy. Wouldn't you agree? I mean, right or wrong, that's the state of the situation at this point. It is what it is. Play the cards you are dealt.
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Oklahoma Wing
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

Eclipse

That's the loop a lot of members fall into "If not me, who?", when higher HQ is supposed to be directing and
limiting activities to the ultimate best interest of all involved, the same way a good manager limits the
activities of his subordinate employees.

The real answer is that if it is important, it will get done, and if not, it will fall by the wayside like so many other things in CAP.

Who(m?)ever best articulates the need will get the attention and the resources - we can't get a functional SQTR system, but
somehow someone was able to find the time to build an online Safety system.  Etc., etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

RickRutledge

I agree with you 100%. It's true that this organization has focused for too long on minutia and making complicated issues, even more complicated. Isn't it said, the two most inefficient organizations in the world are non-profits and government organizations and CAP is (kind of) both!? The safety thing is a huge issue with me, we spend more time focusing on safety and very little time on making the program better and more transparent in it's processes. But, I'm at least trying to get SOMETHING started, it may take a lifetime to perfect it, but at least the ball is rolling.
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Oklahoma Wing
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)