Open Office Software Versus Microsoft for Presentations

Started by RADIOMAN015, March 24, 2012, 01:28:40 PM

RADIOMAN015

If I modify a Microsoft power point presentation e.g. "CAP 101" with the Open Office presentation software, will it still work on computers that only have microsoft power power point ???
RM

MIKE

Haven't tried with PowerPoint but LibreOffice Writer seems to mess with the formatting of Word docs when you open and/or edit them in either program.

QuoteYou can save your presentations in OpenDocument format, the new international standard for documents. This XML-based format means that your files can be opened by recipients who are not LibreOffice users: your presentations will be accessible with any OpenDocument-compliant software.

You can also open Microsoft PowerPoint files, and save your work in PowerPoint format for people still locked into Microsoft products. Alternatively, you can use the built-in exporter to create Flash (.swf) versions of your presentations.
Mike Johnston

manfredvonrichthofen

I have always been able to open ppt with open office without needing to change anything, and it still works on ppt. I only use open office on my computer but I have to have Microsoft stuff for school. It should just open up straight as is

EMT-83

Why would you waste your time with OpenOffice? Microsoft Office is available to non-profits for almost nothing at Tech Soup.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: EMT-83 on March 24, 2012, 02:15:38 PM
Why would you waste your time with OpenOffice? Microsoft Office is available to non-profits for almost nothing at Tech Soup.
Yes, Microsoft Office may be cheaper for NPOs, Open Office is FREE, not to mention still very easy to use.

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on March 24, 2012, 02:15:38 PM

Yes, it is, however members are not "non-profits", so if you buy a copy for your squadron laptop, fine, for yourself, no.

Also, since Office 2007, Open Office has actually been a superior product with a lot smaller footprint.  Unless you have a specific given feature not in OO,
I can't see why anyone would spend the money for MS Office.

I do most of my spreadsheets and other docs these days in Google, anyway.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

I would never use google for anything but a search engine. It just doesn't sound safe enough.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

If anyone needs office, PM me. I have a comcercial license.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

OpenOffice presentations will open in PowerPoint if you save it in .ppt format.  But as a backup, you can also export your slideshow as a PDF and use Adobe Acrobat Reader in full-screen/presentation mode to accomplish the same thing.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Extremepredjudice

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Eclipse

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 24, 2012, 05:35:55 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 24, 2012, 05:27:54 PM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 24, 2012, 05:19:43 PM

Share-able legally?
Yes. It is legal.

I have no doubt it's legal, but how are you sharing it?  Or are you just going to give it to the first taker?

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Eclipse on March 24, 2012, 05:52:02 PM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 24, 2012, 05:35:55 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 24, 2012, 05:27:54 PM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on March 24, 2012, 05:19:43 PM

Share-able legally?
Yes. It is legal.

I have no doubt it's legal, but how are you sharing it?  Or are you just going to give it to the first taker?
I can give more than one key out.

I am going to give you the key, and then you download the trial from MS and input my key. (I can't upload the installer cause it'd be against ToS)

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

NIN

I'm sorry, we're talking about software here. This just made me laugh pretty hard.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: NIN on March 24, 2012, 06:06:31 PM

I'm sorry, we're talking about software here. This just made me laugh pretty hard.
-.- just -.-

Fine, I'll change it to FreeBooter.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Eclipse

OK, anyone can download the trial and use it legally.  If you're sharing a single-user "key", that's illegal.

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Eclipse on March 24, 2012, 08:35:00 PM
OK, anyone can download the trial and use it legally.  If you're sharing a single-user "key", that's illegal.
It is an OEM multi-user business license. The key has 50 users, and I have several keys.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

a2capt

If you actually read the EULA for that .. those still are not meant to be distributed willy-nilly.

..and the "OEM" ones are usually even more "restricted".

Face it. Those licenses are not designed to be friendly. 

Eclipse

If they are truly "OEM" licenses, they can't be distributed at all unless they are installed on a machine, and then they are tied to that machine
for the life of the hardware, and non-transferable.

Legit OEM licenses are only supposed to be purchased and distributed by...OEMS.

"That Others May Zoom"