Main Menu

Test Inventory template

Started by rjfoxx, March 07, 2012, 07:59:07 PM

rjfoxx

Does anyone have a Test Inventory template that they would care to share? The one I inherited is pretty lame.  Thanks in advance.
Major Richard J Foxx, CAP
Health Service Officer - DEWG
IG Inspector - DEWG

Eclipse

You must use the format indicated in attachment 2 of 50-4.

1-4. Test Inventory Log.  Each TCO will create a test inventory log for his/her unit.  Format for the
test inventory log  will be in accordance with Attachment 2 of this regulation.
All transactions
associated with test materials will be entered onto the Test inventory log by the TCO/TA.  This
includes, but is not limited to, receipt, transfer, destruction and inventory of test materials, as well as
administration of tests.  Test inventory logs will be retained in accordance with CAPR 10-2, Files
Maintenance and Records Disposition

A basic spreadsheet with the indicated headers is all you need - an excellent way to use GDocs.
My Group has a single spreadsheet with a tab for each unit, which is then shared to the designated
Wing TCO in "view" mode, which then relieved them of the necessity of monthly reports.

"That Others May Zoom"

Larry Mangum

That's interesting Eclipse, when I tried to implement an electronic version of the Inventory\Test Log using Excel, I was told that was not allowed, by the wing IG.  I then placed a call to NHQ and Ms Tourville, where I was also told that an electronic version could not be used.  So we are back to using paper logs.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Eclipse

Neither of those people is in a position of authority to make that call.

As long as the retention and format regulations are followed, a unit's entire operations could be electronic, and most wings are encouraging that.
I can tell you the USAF certainly is.

One only needs to look at the long sacrosanct and now not required "pilot files" to see the direction CAP is moving, albeit slowly.

"That Others May Zoom"

AdAstra

I created a template with a simple MS Word table, and used it within the last year for a Subordinate Unit Inspection, Staff Assisted Visit and Compliance Inspection. Four different inspectors looked at it, and the only two comments that I got were that the signatures should be "wet". Granted, it is used as a hard copy and can not be considered an electronic inventory.
Charles Wiest

NC Hokie

Quote from: Larry Mangum on March 07, 2012, 08:55:33 PM
That's interesting Eclipse, when I tried to implement an electronic version of the Inventory\Test Log using Excel, I was told that was not allowed, by the wing IG.  I then placed a call to NHQ and Ms Tourville, where I was also told that an electronic version could not be used.  So we are back to using paper logs.

The easy response to that is to print it out and put it in the files.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Eclipse

Quote from: AdAstra on March 08, 2012, 01:16:51 AMFour different inspectors looked at it, and the only two comments that I got were that the signatures should be "wet".

Also not a requirement, since everything is now done via .pdf, which can easily look like wet sigs, but isn't really "wet".
Complicated e-signatures aren't needed for anything routine, either.

Quote from: NC Hokie on March 08, 2012, 02:01:16 AM
The easy response to that is to print it out and put it in the files.

Assuming you have "files", which are no longer required.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

I'm all for electronic records where they can be used, but I can see where an inspector could read 50-4 as needing "wet" signatures. In fact, that's how I read it:

1-6. Test Inventory. The TCO conducts a test materials inventory at least every 90 days and whenever the TCO changes.

a. The TCO opens the storage container and identifies each test in the container. Each test must be on the Test inventory log. If a test on file is NOT on the Test inventory log, annotate the examination number on the log and destroy the test booklet. If a test is on the test inventory log but not on file, refer to paragraph 4-1 for test compromise.

b. When the inventory is completed, the TCO annotates and signs the test inventory log on the next available line.

abdsp51

The AF is not completely paperless I can tell you that right now.  There are still many aspects that are done with paper and filed. 

Eclipse

I'd say it's open to interpretation, and tie goes to the runner - I could think of several ways to accomplish this
without a wet signature. The simplest way is to restrict access to the log to the TCO.  A system like Gdocs audits changes, which wold actually be more effective than a signature, since you can erase a signature of just re-do the paper document, but you can't undo or fake the audit trail.

The other issue is that this issue of electronic records is an evolving situation and the regs are out of balance.
50-4 is a year older than 10-2, which will be updated again shortly (in comment phase, now).

In most cases like this, an informed answer that shows a plan will more than suffice.  A staffer should never be less
informed than an inspector, and always show a contingency for question 2,3,&4.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 08, 2012, 03:10:24 AM
The AF is not completely paperless I can tell you that right now.  There are still many aspects that are done with paper and filed.

True, but that changes every day as well, and they are on a track to get there.

Something which has come up in conversation lately in my wing - the difference between "paperless" and "documentless".
We will likely never get to the latter in my CAP career, if ever.  There is no need for anyone to be keeping dead tree carcases
in a vertical burial vault anymore.

Not for ES, not for personnel records, and certainly not for normal administrative tasks like decs and PA's, etc., but that doesn't
mean that the forms don't need to be completed and stored electronically.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Eclipse on March 08, 2012, 03:13:24 AM
tie goes to the runner

There is no tie.  The runner is either out, or they're safe.  First thing they teach you in umpire school. :P
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

peter rabbit

If something has to be signed, I don't care how it is signed but it must be done so in a way:

1. that I know the person responsible for signing was the one that "affixed" the signature - wet or electronic - and accepts responsibility for the document, and
2. the document wasn't just "rubber-stamped".

that can be accomplished with an electronic signature and a verbal communication with the person whose signature on the document.

In the case of the test inventory log, it must be signed. There is usually a signed separate "test inventory" where the inventory was taken, and the fact the inventory was taken written on a one line entry on the test inventory log.