Cadet Advisory Council

Started by ElectricPenguin, March 06, 2012, 03:46:03 AM

ElectricPenguin

What are the duties of a cadet on the CAC?
How would you get on it?

Thanks.

Extremepredjudice

You have to be appointed by your squadron commander.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Fubar

Chapter 7 of CAPR 52-16 (Cadet Programs) explains what the CAC is SUPPOSED to be doing. Unfortunately a number of wings use the CAC as an activity planning group.

At the squadron level, the squadron command appoints cadets to the CAC. You should express your interest up through your chain of command.

NCRblues

Quote from: Fubar on March 06, 2012, 04:03:11 AM
Chapter 7 of CAPR 52-16 (Cadet Programs) explains what the CAC is SUPPOSED to be doing. Unfortunately a number of wings use the CAC as an activity planning group.

52-16 does not limit what the CAC can do. So, why not have them plan cadet activities on top of the other things? After all, they represent the cadets in each squadron of the wing.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

ElectricPenguin

At the squadron level, the squadron command appoints cadets to the CAC. You should express your interest up through your chain of command.

Outstanding, I will do this tomorrow night.

AngelWings

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on March 06, 2012, 04:07:39 AM

Outstanding, I will do this tomorrow night.
I'm a new primary in my wings CAC, so if you have questions about CAC, feel free to ask me  :) I have had a great time so far and have met some really awesome people.
While it is a matter of appointment to become a CAC member, I know certain squadrons have the cadets elect members, atleast mine did.

Huey Driver

Positions include Chairman, Vice- Chairman, Recorder, and then the Primarys and Alternates.

Also check out CAPP 52-19
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P052_019_1584425C1735C.pdf
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Fubar

Quote from: NCRblues on March 06, 2012, 04:06:40 AM

52-16 does not limit what the CAC can do. So, why not have them plan cadet activities on top of the other things? After all, they represent the cadets in each squadron of the wing.

That's true, CAPR 52-16 certainly doesn't say not to plan activities, but it's not specifically mentioned in the three stated purposes either:

a.   Provide an organization where cadets gain leadership experience at higher organizational levels.
b.   Aid the commander in monitoring and implementing the Cadet Program.
c.   Make recommendations for improving and running the Cadet Program.

To me, the regulation states the CAC needs to be advisory in nature (given the name) and not a working group.

Quote from: CAPR 52-16Advisory Nature. The CAC has no authority to implement policy. Councils send their recommendations to the echelon commander, through the director of cadet programs, in the format of staff study reports or position papers.

To me, this reads the CAC could send the WG/CC a recommendation that there needs to be more cadet activities and present a list of possible activities to hold, but not plan the activities themselves. In fact, take a look at CAPP 52-19, The CAC Guide, and you'll notice that activity planning isn't mentioned once. It's more worried about Robert's Rules of Orders and meeting minutes.

I can however see a scenario where the go-getter cadets that are the type to end up on the CAC are the type of cadets who will volunteer to assist with planning an event. Sort of like the rest of CAP I suppose, 10% of the folks doing 90% of the work.

Eclipse

Quote from: NCRblues on March 06, 2012, 04:06:40 AM

The "A" does not stand for "Activity".

The body exists for a specific purpose, and that purpose is not to be a general pool of cadets to do "stuff".

"That Others May Zoom"