Main Menu

Any Red River Rats

Started by old141pilot, March 01, 2012, 12:46:02 AM

old141pilot

I was curious if there were any Red River Rats among the senior membership. 

ol'fido

Only at heart as far as I know....

http://www.burrusspta.org/thud.html

Although Bosshawk may come close.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

bosshawk

Sorry to disappoint, but I didn't make it that far north in my "adventures in Southeast Asia".  I have known a few who did: most of them spent considerable time as "guests" of the North Vietnamese.

I could more properly be termed "a Saigon Warrior".
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

jimmydeanno

I live about 1.5 miles from the Red River, but I doubt it's the one you're talking about.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

ol'fido

The Red River valley was the main approach route for strikes into the Hanoi area(RP 6) during the Vietnam War. One feature near it was called Thud Ridge which allowed the strike pilots to get in behind it and be safe from the SAM radars such as the Fansong.

claywight

I have one in my UNIT UT-027.

Clayton

bosshawk

I know one guy in CAWG who was an F-4 GIB and he may have been a River Rat: don't know.  Not too many of those guys around, especially in CAP, since the last missions up North were in 1972 or early 73.  I was in SEA in 65-66.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

ol'fido

Paul, I know you said you didn't get up that far, but this is for you and them....

Dick Jonas - Battle Hymn of the River Rats

bosshawk

Thanks, Randy.  In 1966, not many Americans held us in very high regard.

It swells my heart to see how Americans treat the current crop of heroes.

BTDT
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

scooter

Agree, the troops get a much better reception today. Earned it too.

I was spit on at SFO on my way to SEA in '67. Just considered the source and moved on. Did not get a chance to fly fast. Flew low and slow all over the south and a some across the west border, Tactical airlift.

tarheel gumby

I was a Navy Dependent during that time- all of those men and women were and are my Heros
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

TarRiverRat

I am not a Red River Rat but I am a Tar River "River Rat".  I belong to the Tar River Composite Squadron MER-NC-057 "The River Rats".  I do have the upmost respect for the Red River Rats though.  Yall are some of my heroes.
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

MSG Mac

BG Miller, a former CAP-USAF Commander(early 80'swas. Red River Rat.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Woodsy

I'm not exactly sure of what the "requirements" of being a "Red River Rat" are, but I do know there is a member in south Florida that flew F-4's and had many missions to Hanoi.