Smartphone app suggestion for inventory and gear issue/return

Started by ka8yiu, January 21, 2012, 11:55:47 AM

ka8yiu

Considering that most smartphones have cameras that can read bar codes, and they have web access, has anyone considered writing an app that can be used to assign/issue and return equipment in eServices and ORMS? The CAP property tags have bar codes and it could be linked to log into eServices. For Comm officers like myself, this could also speed up annual inventory, allowing almost instantaneous issue and return of comm gear, etc.

Kevin

SSGT FAY

You know what, that's not a bad idea and it could be use for in processing other items that the units get assigned as well as for logging cadets and senior member activities both alike.

I just wish I knew enough to do that but I don't. This technology programming stuff is beyond my grasp.
Shawn c "leprechaun" Fay
Ssgt, USAF-ANG 123mxs/mxmp
2a651-aerospace propulsion mechanic

arajca

Sounds good. Keep in mind the Logistics tags do not have barcodes, only the Comm tags. Also keep in mind that issues require both parties to access ORMS - issuing officer to initiate the issue and receiving member to accept it.

If National won't allow an app to link to ORMS (given their reluctance to let ANTHING hook into their systems), perhaps they could develop a mobile version. Like you said, it'd make inventory so much easier and faster.

ka8yiu

Well,I don't think there would be an issue with "accessing" ORMS since it just a secure website. I can issue/return and search gear with the iPhone and iPad. Therefore, it's just a matter of the app linking to the website. After all, alot of the apps are just a different format to link to the Internet, optimized for the mobile device. For example, a dictionary app does not have the dictionary saved on the phone, it's just a device friendly interface.

As far as ORMS, when comm gear is issued, the receiving party gets an emal telling them and regulation gives them a period of time to accept it. Our mission bases usually have a half dozen computers running.

Glad others like the idea. Now, who can do it? :D

Kevin

ka8yiu

Oops, I wrote that backwards. "linking" should not be a problem. All you are doing is accessing the website. But, the scanning to activate a search is where someone more savvy has to make the various capabilities of the smartphone capabilities work together.

Hey, if I can take a picture of a check and get it instantly deposited in the bank, this should be a piece of cake!

Eclipse

1) You'd need an API, and there isn't one, at least not one that is generally / publicly available.  Getting data out of eServices and related systems is not a big deal, injecting data back in is a different discussion.  You can already view PDF and Excel reports on mobile device, so no app needed.

B) The only way to load apps on a (stock) iPhone is via iTunes.  Itunes reviews all submissions, and unless NHQ approved and sponsored the submission, you would not likely be able to ever get it into the store.  Considering this is accessing a secure system, and reveals information considered FOUO (not secret, just not public), odds are NHQ would not ever approve the app.  The enterprise-level alternatives are expensive and would be difficult to manage for CAP. 

3) Android owns 45%+ market share of smartphones, and the adoption rate is higher among technical people, so for any value it would need a dual OS effort.  A scratch pad check of people in my wing would have more Android than iOS users, including the Wing DC.  This is especially the case in ES.

D) The average member has less than 5 pieces of equipment.  The average unit less than 10, and the average Group less than 20 (maybe 50 for the hoarders.)  The wing might have 1500 pieces of gear on the books, but is certifying downstream inventories for most, not physically counting every piece of gear.

Inventories work like this:
"Do I know where my radios are?" Yes.
"Do they still work?" Probably.
Done.
Click.

"Do you know where the laptop is?"  Um...I'm doing the inventory on it.
"Does it still work? See above.
Done.
Click.

5) If you have a smartphone (or even an iPhone), you already has access to the inventory system and can just do it directly, no app needed.

"That Others May Zoom"

phillybiker

I like the idea. But like Eclipse this information can be accessed via a smart phone. What might be better is if national had a "button" you could click for mobile phone access like my bacnk has. It loads faster because of less graphics and is set up to work on the small touch screen easier.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: phillybiker on January 29, 2012, 11:03:26 PM
I like the idea. But like Eclipse this information can be accessed via a smart phone. What might be better is if national had a "button" you could click for mobile phone access like my bacnk has. It loads faster because of less graphics and is set up to work on the small touch screen easier.

they'd have to rewrite everything in eservices. It'd have to be written in WML

Building WML decks (pages are called cards and documents are called decks, FYI) isn't the easiest programming feat.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"