Help with writing a resume for encampment

Started by maurer172, November 26, 2011, 07:04:02 AM

maurer172

I am planning on being staff at the New Mexico Winter Encampment, however I have to write a resume explaining what position I want and why I am best for the job. I don't. Know yet what position I want, I'll go for any position I can get. But what type of things should be put on it? Examples would help. Just things I have done in CAP, or in and out? I am currently a C/SMSgt, almost ready to promote. I am also the first sergeant at me squadron. I have also been an element leader and a flight sergeant. I have received The United States Medal of Good Conduct.
Embrace The Suck, Unless the Suck is Obviously Wrong

DBlair

What is the United States Medal of Good Conduct?
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

maurer172

Sorry I meant the "United States Army Medal of Good Conduct".

ßτε

Quote from: maurer172 on November 26, 2011, 03:24:29 PM
Being a C/SMSgt and earning the "United States Army Medal of Good Conduct" seem inconsistent to me. Perhaps more explanation is needed.

lordmonar

Use the MS Word resume template.

List your positions in CAP and any significant accomplishments.

Example (very abreviated)

Name:

Position(s) Desired:

Education:

Employment:

CAP Leadership Positions:

Jan 11-Present:  First Sergeant Homer J. Simpson Cadet Squadron.
    --  15 Cadets
    --  Supervised Recruiting open house that resulted in XX perspective members attending and XX number of new members
Jul 10-Jan 11:  Flight Sergeant Alpha Flight Homer J. Simpson Cadet Squadron.
   -- 5 cadets
   -- Supervised progression of assigned cadets resulted in 5 Curry promotions, 3 Arnorld and 3 Wright Brothers
Jan 10-Jul 10: Cadet Bravo Flight, Homer J. Simpson Cadet Squadron.
  -- completed Wright Brothers in less then XX months.
  --  Cadet of the Month for Jun '10
  --  Completed CAP Model Rockety Program.

Other Accomplishments:
Boy Scout Star Scout
Captain of the Springfield Middle School Soccor team
Awarded some strange army medal that can't be awared to cadets....

Of course you must flesh it out.....but a resume is simpley a list of your education, training, and skills that you are bringing to the table.  Unless they have ask for a cover letter.....you usually don't have to do a "I want to be a flight commander because I think it is really cool and I will kick some major buttage....etc et al" sort of letter.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: ß τ ε on November 26, 2011, 04:34:27 PM
Quote from: maurer172 on November 26, 2011, 03:24:29 PM
Being a C/SMSgt and earning the "United States Army Medal of Good Conduct" seem inconsistent to me. Perhaps more explanation is needed.

To say the least.

Wiki says the AGCM is awarded to Reservists and Guardsman on active duty only, and AD=Nolo Cadeto.  At best he could have received the Reserve Good Conduct medal.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

yeah..doesn't the Army good conduct medal not only require Active Duty service but Three Years of it.  How would a cadet either spend three years active duty army and nobody notice it?  Also...it is a slim Possibility that this Cadet could be under 21 years of age...They would have joined at 17...definitely more explanation necessary here.

maurer172

I'm honestly not sure. All I know is the explaining letter called it that. Maybe it was a mis-type in the original letter.

Eclipse

Quote from: maurer172 on November 27, 2011, 01:16:21 AM
I'm honestly not sure. All I know is the explaining letter called it that. Maybe it was a mis-type in the original letter.

How old are you?

Are you in the Guard or the Reserves?  How Long?

Have you been on Active Duty?

"That Others May Zoom"

maurer172

No. That's why I say it was probably a mis-type on the original letter.

Extremepredjudice

I'd contact the People that sent you the award. Misrepresenting the award wouldn't be a good idea.

What did you do to recieve it?
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

maurer172

I'm, I'm not sure. I received the award just before I moved. In a nutshell, the letter was stating I guess what kind of cadet I had been since he had known me. For doing a really good job that entire year, I guess.

DBlair

Quote from: maurer172 on November 27, 2011, 05:47:57 AM
I'm, I'm not sure. I received the award just before I moved. In a nutshell, the letter was stating I guess what kind of cadet I had been since he had known me. For doing a really good job that entire year, I guess.

Please let me know if I am understanding this correctly...

A person gave you the U.S. Army's Good Conduct Medal along with a letter praising you for a job well done over the preceding year.

Does this effectively summarize it?

Direct Question:
Are you a Soldier in the U.S. Army (to include Active Duty, Reserve, and National Guard) or a member of any other actual military service?

Eclipse

If you're not in the military, then someone sent you the award in an honorary fashion - good on 'ye, display it on your wall.

You're not authorized to wear it, and you should not mention it on a resume.

"That Others May Zoom"

DBlair

Quote from: Eclipse on November 27, 2011, 10:28:59 PM
If you're not in the military, then someone sent you the award in an honorary fashion - good on 'ye, display it on your wall.

Reminds me of how Allen West was given a set of Navy/Marine Jump Wings as an honorary gift from the commander of a Marine unit to which he was attached for a few months, but was never actually (legitimately) awarded these as an Army Officer and yet they were often seen on his Army uniform and still worn everyday on his suit lapel-- along with the Army's Master Jump Wings, which he did earn. Even his aide admitted these wings were an honorary gift as a 'gesture of goodwill' but he somehow insists on wearing them.

Just goes to show that unfortunately the wearing of unearned uniform badges/medals is not limited to Cadets. :-/

Background Details: The gold Navy/Marine Jump Wings have very specific requirements (which is why most Marines wear only the lead sled basic Jump Wings), including requirements of certain MOS/units (Marines in Recon, ANGLICO, and Riggers are the only ones with the full-time jump status requirement) and that the person must be USN or USMC-- an Army Officer can't earn it, and if theoretically the person was former USN or USMC who later went Army, the number of Jumps is translated to the appropriate Army Jump Wings.

In other words, Allen West did not legitimately earn the gold jump wings he always wears, not to mention that by wearing these and his Army Master Jump Wings, it is basically duplicating the same thing-- actually, the Master wings require more jumps, so why not wear just those?

Just a pet peeve I have about him.

maurer172

Ok, like I said, it was probably I mis type

AngelWings

Quote from: maurer172 on November 27, 2011, 11:38:59 PM
Ok, like I said, it was probably I mis type
Find a picture of it and show it to us/give us the link.

maurer172

Alright I'll do that when I have more time

lordmonar

Quote from: DBlair on November 27, 2011, 11:33:49 PM

Reminds me of how Allen West was given a set of Navy/Marine Jump Wings as an honorary gift from the commander of a Marine unit to which he was attached for a few months, but was never actually (legitimately) awarded these as an Army Officer and yet they were often seen on his Army uniform and still worn everyday on his suit lapel-- along with the Army's Master Jump Wings, which he did earn. Even his aide admitted these wings were an honorary gift as a 'gesture of goodwill' but he somehow insists on wearing them.

Just goes to show that unfortunately the wearing of unearned uniform badges/medals is not limited to Cadets. :-/

Background Details: The gold Navy/Marine Jump Wings have very specific requirements (which is why most Marines wear only the lead sled basic Jump Wings), including requirements of certain MOS/units (Marines in Recon, ANGLICO, and Riggers are the only ones with the full-time jump status requirement) and that the person must be USN or USMC-- an Army Officer can't earn it, and if theoretically the person was former USN or USMC who later went Army, the number of Jumps is translated to the appropriate Army Jump Wings.

In other words, Allen West did not legitimately earn the gold jump wings he always wears, not to mention that by wearing these and his Army Master Jump Wings, it is basically duplicating the same thing-- actually, the Master wings require more jumps, so why not wear just those?

So...is he wrong for wearing jump wings that were not legitmatly awared to him.....or was the USMC wrong for awarding jump wings to someone who did not earn them?

Anyway.......I too think this Army Good Conduct Medal may be something of the same thing.  I took my cadets to a USN weapons training facility once and the range master gave the "top shooter" the Navy Expert Rifleman ribbon.........now I knew enough to tell the cadet that he was not allowed to wear it.....but some people out there don't know or don't care enough about the regulations to make sure their cadets know them.

And let's not bump on Maurer172 too much....it is not really his fault if he does not know the regs inside and out.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DBlair

Quote from: lordmonar on November 28, 2011, 02:11:33 AM
Quote from: DBlair on November 27, 2011, 11:33:49 PM

So...is he wrong for wearing jump wings that were not legitmatly awared to him.....or was the USMC wrong for awarding jump wings to someone who did not earn them?

Anyway.......I too think this Army Good Conduct Medal may be something of the same thing.  I took my cadets to a USN weapons training facility once and the range master gave the "top shooter" the Navy Expert Rifleman ribbon.........now I knew enough to tell the cadet that he was not allowed to wear it.....but some people out there don't know or don't care enough about the regulations to make sure their cadets know them.

And let's not bump on Maurer172 too much....it is not really his fault if he does not know the regs inside and out.

West is incorrect in wearing them-- the commander gave (as in handed, not awarded) him a set of gold jump wings as a "goodwill gesture" (as West's aide even noted, meanwhile rolling his eyes at West insisting on wearing them) to remember his few months of being attached to that Marine unit. The gift seems to have gone to West's head as he insists on wearing them along with Army Master jump wings on his Army Uniform and his civilian suit lapel now that he is a Congressman. His staff are basically forced to run damage control whenever the question about these gold wings is raised.

I'm not saying I'm necessarily against him, his politics, or anything else, I just have an issue with him wearing something that he did not actually earn, and that are highly-regarded by many as a result of what they represent.

If you'd like to see what I mean, search Allen West in Google Images and there will be countless examples.

Perhaps this is something that should be discussed in a thread of its own.