Cadet Leadership School Plans

Started by Ed Bos, November 18, 2011, 03:21:05 AM

Ed Bos

After a brief search, I can't seem to find any curricula for Cadet Leadership Schools, aside from RCLS.

Does anyone have any tips, tricks, schedules, slideshows, etc that I can steal.... errr.... borrow for an activity aimed at C/AB - C/SSgt?

Thanks for the help.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

Spaceman3750

There's a "Camp Curry" program floating around several wings. The ILWG DCP or his Asst. might have the details on it. I went through it WIWAC, the idea is that C/ABs come in and get all of the training and testing required to walk out as C/Amn.

Ed Bos

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on November 18, 2011, 04:05:09 AM
There's a "Camp Curry" program floating around several wings. The ILWG DCP or his Asst. might have the details on it. I went through it WIWAC, the idea is that C/ABs come in and get all of the training and testing required to walk out as C/Amn.

Nice, I'll shoot out an email, thanks for the tip!
PCR-OR-001

coudano

Ours (which we have been running since before the release of Cadet Great Start http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/cadet_great_start.cfm)
goes like this:

Day 1 (friday if during school, tuesday if during break)
1900-2200 Uniform prep (we actually all bring ironing boards, irons, shoe polish, and measuring devices and physically prep a set of bdu's and blues onto a hangar, with guidance and help from experienced nco's and officers)
2200-2230 Free time, then lights out.

Day 2 (saturday if during school, tuesday if during break)
0800-0830 The Cadet Oath
0830-0900 Drill 1
0900-0930 Customs and Courtesies
0930-1000 Drill 2
1000-1030 Rank Recognition
1030-1100 Drill 3
1100-1130 Chain of Command
1130-1200 Drill 4
1200-1230 Lunch
1230-1300 Core Values
1300-1330 Drill 5
1330-1400 Report to an officer indoors
1400-1430 Drill 6
1430-1500 Walk through of e-services (opsec, basic safety, cadet online testing)
1500-1530 Drill 7
1530-1600 Clean the building

At 1600 we either dismiss (if it's being done over a weekend)
Or if it's being done on Tuesday, we change into civvies, transport over to the local mall food court, and let everyone eat, then change back into uniform and transport back, and change back into uniform to start the weekly meeting.

*every session starts with a recital of the cadet oath
*every drill session begins with a quick review of everything learned up to this point
**Reaistically, the classes get done in about 20, and the drill occasionally goes a little long, we wind up ahead of schedule early and then eat that up later.

**EVERYTHING the entire weekend long is instructed and controlled by cadet NCO's (make sure your little duckies are imprinting the right people as their "mommy")

**This is a pretty aggressive schedule, there isn't much lolligagging around.  If you slack, you'll bust schedule.  But people stay alert, and soak it up.  And retention is, as far as i'm concerned, good.

This is an old version of the list of what is in which drill session...  The commands have been scootched around a bit, but they are all there...
Approximately 5 minutes  per command (no joke on the speed there)  Some take less time.  Some take more (!)

Drill 1:
Flight Attention
Parade Rest
At Ease
Rest
Present/Order Arms
Hand Salute

Drill 2:
Count Off (in column)
Eyes Right/Ready Front (stationary)
Dress Right Dress / Ready Front
Fall In/Fall Out/Dismissed
Right/Left Step March / Flight Halt
Close/Extend March (stationary)

Drill 3:
Right/Left Face
Half Right/Left Face
About Face

Drill 4:
Forward March / Flight Halt
Half Step March
Mark Time March
At Ease March
Route Step March
Double Time March

Drill 5:
Right/Left Flank (marching and halted)
To The Rear March

Drill 6:
Change Step March
Count Cadence Count
Close/Extend (marching)
Eyes Right/Ready Front (marching)
Open/Close Ranks March

Drill 7:
Column Right/Left March
Column Half Right/Left March

jimmydeanno

Here's the LAWG ALS curriculum overview.  It doesn't include the lesson plans, just an overview of what the course consists of.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

jimmydeanno

And the LAWG NCOA curriculum overview.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Ed Bos

This is all good stuff, I really appreciate all of it!
PCR-OR-001

coudano

Good stuff JD, my NCOA (like my airman acad) is pretty much identical to your wing's stuff,
I'm actually updating my ncoa right now (running it this saturday)

Far as I know neither of us has seen each-others' stuff.
The best ideas seem to float to the top, eh?

But we do ours in a single saturday 0900-1500 (not in particular order)
Command Presence / Professional Appearance & Conduct
Command Voice
Mass Commands (done correctly)
Teaching Drill (everyone actually teaches a command)
Communication (being the middle-man in the communication flow)(closing the communication loop)(reporting back!!!)
Cadet Evaluation, Feedback Appraisal, Mentoring (form 50)
Leading PT
Conducting Uniform Inspection
The NCO Creed
Small Team / Task Team Direct Supervision
Flag Handling
Lunch

My phase 3 transition talk goes like this (can't put my hands on the notes right now):
Usually about 2 hours or so, probably over a meal.

Expectations (STOP Being Directive!)(Shift your focus from "now" into "future")
Squadron Activity Planning and Execution
Operational Control (instead of tactical)
Problem Identification / Solving (goal setting, long range planning)
SDA Introduction
Rating, Appraisal Feedback, Mentoring of NCO's

**We have once run a cadet officer basic course at our wing level, over a weekend, that contained pretty much the above, along with a good amount of bashing stagnant C/2d Lt's over the head about getting moving, and actually fleshed out things like activity planning (they actually MADE a complete activity plan and took it home to execute it)

Phase 4 transition is usually a 15 minute talk:
You have all of the basics.
Polish your presentation.
Step out of your comfort zone, go "create awesome" the likes of which nobody has ever seen before.
I want phase 4 cadets doing stuff that makes me go "woah" /neo (awesome!) (and my standards for that are pretty high, i'm not easily impressed)
I want phase 4 cadets doing things that impact the group, wing, region, and national level of CAP.

PHall

Take a look at the CAWG manuals we use at our Basic Cadet School (BCS), Airman Training School (ATS) and Non-comissioned Officer Schools (NCOS).

www.cawgcadets.org    --->  Resources   --->   Manuals

May not work for everybody but it's a place to start.