Senior Officers uncomfortable in Air Force skin?

Started by Gender, November 09, 2011, 05:37:11 PM

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

Quote from: davidsinn on November 16, 2011, 01:52:37 AM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 16, 2011, 01:35:45 AM
Trolls have useful implications as a fundraising entity for a local unit.

Do tell.

We need funds to defend us from forcing hum out.

I kid, I kid.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: Smokey on November 16, 2011, 01:17:58 AM
Let's face it...Hardshell cannot answer the questions put to him because of false claims.  His claim to want to protect his privacy is a smokescreen to cover this up.  He pretends to be above the fray, answering in roundabout ways, with a holier than though attitude.  He does not have the courage to put up or shut up.

I say.....he's a troll trying to stir the pot.  Contrary to his claim of being a proud member he constantly tries to weasel around regs and march to his own drummer.  But my guess is the music he is marching to comes from the same voices he hears.....

I'm sure he will never reveal answers to the questions posed.  And I'm willing to back it up with my CAP salary for a year!

Have your $ ready sir, as the rest of you circling wolves. No, wolves are great animals, so more like mongrel ferrets.

I've already answered the two questions NCRBlues asked at lest once in another post. Have you seen the "shopping list" of questions he wanted me to answer? These included the years I graduated schools, dates I enlisted, dates I went to work for and what agencies I worked for, etc. Frankly that information is absolutely none of his or anyone else's business on this forum.

My guess is that the music that you dance to and you perception of my "holier than though attitude" and the other such derogatory remarks you made is that you (and others) feel threatened so you feel a need to belittle? 

7 years reg army, reserves and militia. 2 years CAP. But then as I am a phony what would prevent me from answering the question falsely? Wait, its my master plan to conquer the CAPTalk then the world! ;)

RogueLeader

Sorry, I don't circle. I observe and report. The big question is what wing you are an IG.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 16, 2011, 02:32:40 AM
Sorry, I don't circle. I observe and report. The big question is what wing you are an IG.

"Observe and Report" sounds like a rent-a-cop. As there are only a few people on each wings IG staff and most publish that staff list, how much anonymity would that provide me? While I have nothing against it, I will not post my name, unit, ribbons, badges etc. as I just do not think that is necessary.

SarDragon

Quote from: Hardshell Clam on November 16, 2011, 02:22:47 AM7 years reg army, reserves and militia. 2 years CAP. But then as I am a phony what would prevent me from answering the question falsely? Wait, its my master plan to conquer the CAPTalk then the world! ;)

Nah, you're gonna have to wait in line behind Colgan for that action.  8)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: Hardshell Clam on November 16, 2011, 02:22:47 AMFrankly that information is absolutely none of his or anyone else's business on this forum.

Correct, except that you repeatedly bring up your experience in regards to relevance to CAP service or the discussion at hand, which then makes it
fair game if someone thinks the pieces don't fit.

You are entitled to your opinion, and this forum provides a place to express it, provided you do not violate the terms of service.  However when you speak with experiential authority about topics in which you appear to have a flawed understanding, or purport to have been directed to do things by superiors which are "out of character" for CAP commanders, then those assertions are also fair game.

You also appear sensitive to not controlling the conversation, which anyone with internet experience knows is not possible, especially when you
use pointed phrases clearly intended to illicit a reaction and then assert you used a single word or phrase incorrectly. 

There is nothing wrong with being the "new guy", (we've all been there) and admitting to a learning curve.  CAP does not work or play like any other entity, which can be very frustrating for new members who believe they have relevant military or civilian experience, only to find themselves repeatedly behind the curve on the practical application and reality of CAP service.

I will say this, nothing will make your job more difficult as an CAP IG then purporting to understand things you have no experience with, interpreting regulations you don't have a grasp on yourself in discussions with experienced members, or treating the IG program like anything more than a question and answer session. The assertion that a uniform somehow impedes your duties, or that your civilian experience makes you better qualified to ask "Who saw the missing radio last."  is fundamental misunderstanding of how and why we have IG's in CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Quote from: Hardshell Clam on November 16, 2011, 02:40:55 AM

"Observe and Report" sounds like a rent-a-cop. As there are only a few people on each wings IG staff and most publish that staff list, how much anonymity would that provide me? While I have nothing against it, I will not post my name, unit, ribbons, badges etc. as I just do not think that is necessary.

If you have nothing against it, what's the issue. As the observe and report, I could be Counter Drug and have a real need to cover those aspects. But I'm not, I'm not even a Rent-a-cop. I did, however, stay in a Holiday Inn last night.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 16, 2011, 02:48:02 AM
Quote from: Hardshell Clam on November 16, 2011, 02:40:55 AM

If you have nothing against it, what's the issue. As the observe and report, I could be Counter Drug and have a real need to cover those aspects. But I'm not, I'm not even a Rent-a-cop. I did, however, stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

Hey was jus "funning" a bit. "Observe and Report" is just bad mall cop movie.

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: Eclipse on November 16, 2011, 02:48:00 AM
Quote from: Hardshell Clam on November 16, 2011, 02:22:47 AMFrankly that information is absolutely none of his or anyone else's business on this forum.

Correct, except that you repeatedly bring up your experience in regards to relevance to CAP service or the discussion at hand, which then makes it
fair game if someone thinks the pieces don't fit.

You are entitled to your opinion, and this forum provides a place to express it, provided you do not violate the terms of service.  However when you speak with experiential authority about topics in which you appear to have a flawed understanding, or purport to have been directed to do things by superiors which are "out of character" for CAP commanders, then those assertions are also fair game.

You also appear sensitive to not controlling the conversation, which anyone with internet experience knows is not possible, especially when you
use pointed phrases clearly intended to illicit a reaction and then assert you used a single word or phrase incorrectly. 

There is nothing wrong with being the "new guy", (we've all been there) and admitting to a learning curve.  CAP does not work or play like any other entity, which can be very frustrating for new members who believe they have relevant military or civilian experience, only to find themselves repeatedly behind the curve on the practical application and reality of CAP service.

I will say this, nothing will make your job more difficult as an CAP IG then purporting to understand things you have no experience with, interpreting regulations you don't have a grasp on yourself in discussions with experienced members, or treating the IG program like anything more than a question and answer session. The assertion that a uniform somehow impedes your duties, or that your civilian experience makes you better qualified to ask "Who saw the missing radio last."  is fundamental misunderstanding of how and why we have IG's in CAP.

I respect a lot of what you said and I have made a few errors I'll agree. As to the "who saw the missing radio last " remark, are you asserting that someone with lets say the IG basic course (takes about 8 hours)  and is oh maybe a insurance salesman who conducts maybe 3 investigations a year in the CAP is just as qualified as a professionally trained and experienced investigator? 

Eclipse

Quote from: Hardshell Clam on November 16, 2011, 02:58:55 AMremark, are you asserting that someone with lets say the IG basic course (takes about 8 hours)  and is oh maybe a insurance salesman who conducts maybe 3 investigations a year in the CAP is just as qualified as a professionally trained and experienced investigator?

Yes.  In fact a professionally trained investigator may well be at a disadvantage because he will be inclined to use techniques and make assumptions which
are wholly inappropriate for CAP, or simply spend a lot of their time bumping heads with people because they don't understand how CAP actually "works" at the ground level.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: Eclipse on November 16, 2011, 03:18:58 AM
Quote from: Hardshell Clam on November 16, 2011, 02:58:55 AMremark, are you asserting that someone with lets say the IG basic course (takes about 8 hours)  and is oh maybe a insurance salesman who conducts maybe 3 investigations a year in the CAP is just as qualified as a professionally trained and experienced investigator?

Yes.  In fact a professionally trained investigator may well be at a disadvantage because he will be inclined to use techniques and make assumptions which
are wholly inappropriate for CAP, or simply spend a lot of their time bumping heads with people because they don't understand how CAP actually "works" at the ground level.

I do not know where to begin in responding to this... I will say the part of the "techniques" that professionally trained investigators use is not making assumptions and not "bumping heads", unlike what people see on TV. Most any agent/detective/PI will tell you this.

Eclipse

Well, for starters, how would wearing a uniform impede your function?

"That Others May Zoom"

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: Eclipse on November 16, 2011, 03:38:27 AM

"So it's a police lesson that you want Boy-O" (From a movie).  Just not going there, already been berated enough for my opinion about uniforms.

If you really want to know about interviews during an investigation here is the "method" that I was trained in at GLYNCO:

"The Reid technique is a method of questioning subjects and assessing their credibility. The technique consists of a non-accusatory interview combining both investigative and behavior-provoking questions. If the investigative information indicates that the subject committed the crime in question, the Reid Nine Steps of Interrogation are utilized to persuade the subject to tell the truth about what they did".

There are a lot of good books on the subject and FYI, most inetrvews are more like what you see on detective shows on the BBC, rather then our TV cop shows.

davidsinn

Quote from: Hardshell Clam on November 16, 2011, 03:53:17 AM

"So it's a police lesson that you want Boy-O" (From a movie).  Just not going there, already been berated enough for my opinion about uniforms.

If you really want to know about interviews during an investigation here is the "method that I was trained in at GLYNCO:

"The Reid technique is a method of questioning subjects and assessing their credibility. The technique consists of a non-accusatory interview combining both investigative and behavior-provoking questions. If the investigative information indicates that the subject committed the crime in question, the Reid Nine Steps of Interrogation are utilized to persuade the subject to tell the truth about what they did".

Um. Most CAP IG investigations are about missing items not wrongdoing.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

NCRblues

If you really want to know about interviews during an investigation here is the "method" that I was trained in at GLYNCO:

There are a lot of good books on the subject and FYI, most inetrvews are more like what you see on detective shows on the BBC, rather then our TV cop shows.

Nice quote of Wikipedia there man!!
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: davidsinn on November 16, 2011, 03:56:49 AM

If you really want to know about interviews during an investigation here is the "method that I was trained in at GLYNCO:

Um. Most CAP IG investigations are about missing items not wrongdoing.

So this training would not be useful to an IG or even a unit commander? Are not a lot of federal IG investigations about fraud, waste and abuse, missing federal property and civil issues?

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: NCRblues on November 16, 2011, 04:02:48 AM

Nice quote of Wikipedia there man!!

Hence the quote marks... Your point?