Main Menu

Finance Committe question

Started by RogueLeader, October 28, 2011, 04:58:42 PM

RogueLeader

I'm writing up a Personnel authorization, and the Finance Committee will be appointed on it.  What are the minimum requirements as far as numbers are required for said committee?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

3 members, one must be the commander, one must be the FM, and one other senior.

See 173-1, Page 4:

b. Units Below Wing Level.  Each unit commander will establish a finance committee in
writing within 30 days of assuming command. The wing commander may waive this requirement
if the unit does not have any funds.    If the unit obtains funding at a later date, the unit will be
required to establish a finance committee.  The purpose of the finance committee is to ensure the
proper management of the unit's funds.  This committee will be composed of the unit
commander as the chairperson, the finance officer, and at least one other senior member.
  Once
finance committee members have been appointed they may only be involuntarily removed with
the concurrence of the next higher commander except in the incidence of a change of command.   

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Roger, good copy.  My Googlefu was weak today.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

lordmonar

Your wing may be different.

in NVWG there has to be a PA appointing them to the committee.....and then a seperate Letter with their signatures on it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

We've got something similar - PA for appointment, wing signature for to authenticate requests, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

CTWG has a specific form for appointing finance committee, PA won't work.

NIN

I always used the term "disinterested officer" in my unit policy pertaining to the finance committee and its composition.  That usually drew some laughs initially ("Yeah, man, I'm totally disinterested in CAP, put me on the finance committee.."), but the concept was that you wanted an officer on the finance committee who was not a frequent or regular recipient or requester of unit funds (ie. the logistics officer, or the snacko) to maintain some checks and balances.

As we all know, CAP = "Commander Always Pays," so back when we had the check book in the unit, it was important to have at least one other officer who was not the finance guy to be on the finance committee to be able to sign finance requests, etc.  Usually we had 4-5 signatories "just in case."

My unit had a special buckslip that went forward with receipts to the finance committee for payment. It indicated who was requesting, what it was for, whether it was a reimbursement or a disbursement, etc, and it had a sign off spot for the members of the finance committee before it went to the finance officer to have a check written.   Every time we had an SUI, the IG would immediately start grilling my finance officer and 20 minutes later, he'd walk out with a smile on his face.  The IG seemed to like that we had tighter controls over unit spending than regulations required.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.