Main Menu

Anyone done online CLC?

Started by Dad2-4, October 13, 2011, 01:37:29 PM

Dad2-4

I'm enrolled to begin an online CLC course soon. I've been waiting a long time to have this opportunity. Has anyone here completed the course? What should I expect in the way of content (I've read through all of the CLC content on capmembers.com), weekly time commitment, writing/discussion involvement, etc. I may be jumping the gun and may get all of this info from the course director. I'm looking forward to it and commited to finishing the course.

chief2

Once you sign in, you will get all the info. I have done both the SLS and CLC on line, it takes about 8 weeks each. You do get a lot of good info. from them, it does take a good bit of time

SARDOC

Quote from: Dad2-4 on October 13, 2011, 01:37:29 PM
I'm enrolled to begin an online CLC course soon. I've been waiting a long time to have this opportunity. Has anyone here completed the course? What should I expect in the way of content (I've read through all of the CLC content on capmembers.com), weekly time commitment, writing/discussion involvement, etc. I may be jumping the gun and may get all of this info from the course director. I'm looking forward to it and commited to finishing the course.

Have you checked with your CC or Professional Development Officer?  Ask if the Squadron can host a traditional class because I'm sure you are not the only one that needs it.

Ed Bos

Quote from: SARDOC on October 13, 2011, 02:41:24 PM
Have you checked with your CC or Professional Development Officer?  Ask if the Squadron can host a traditional class because I'm sure you are not the only one that needs it.

I just had a conversation with Bobbie-Jean Tourville (Professional Development Lead at NHQ) about SLS and CLC.

The Form 11 requires SLS and CLC to have the Wing Commander's signature because these courses are supposed to be offered at the Wing-Level.

I believe it's to ensure getting perspective from students and cadre from multiple units and the Wing Staff, and to ensure a modicum of consistency in training.

I only bring it up because if a unit wants to offer an SLS or CLC, it's good to mention that the CC or Professional Development Officer will probably need to run that up to the Wing to coordinate it.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

JeffDG

SLS maybe, but having just done CLC...I can't imagine doing that one on-line. 

80% of the value of CLC had nothing to do with the content of the course, but mainly with the interaction with others from across the Wing, along with the leaders in the wing (such as Wing staff) who presented the material.  It was much more of a "seminar" feel than the "lecture" feel I had from SLS, but that difference could well have been different course directors as well.

SARDOC

Quote from: Ed Bos on October 13, 2011, 06:35:45 PM
The Form 11 requires SLS and CLC to have the Wing Commander's signature because these courses are supposed to be offered at the Wing-Level.

I believe it's to ensure getting perspective from students and cadre from multiple units and the Wing Staff, and to ensure a modicum of consistency in training.

I only bring it up because if a unit wants to offer an SLS or CLC, it's good to mention that the CC or Professional Development Officer will probably need to run that up to the Wing to coordinate it.

While it is recommended that the Wing Level host the SLS.  It is possible for the Squadron to host one.  Find a Qualified Squadron member to act as the Director then forward a request to the Wing Commander asking for your member to act as the Course Director.  The Course Director has the flexibility to reach out to dynamic speakers throughout the wing or otherwise.   Even when the Wing Staff hosts a class I don't necessarily see a Consistency of training.  The Wing Staff usually has other priorities than hosting an SLS.   You definitely need the Wing approval to host but the option of holding it locally gives you the option of convenient scheduling and not have to drive your 8 members halfway across the state with a possible hotel stay. 

Our wing does one a year and that's it.  It's usually scheduled for the same weekend every year.  We had members who couldn't complete level 2 for over three years because they could not travel on that weekend because of their observance of a religious holiday.  So when we had enough members who could commit to a particular weekend we submitted the paperwork to the Wing and NHQ.  No problems and we had a great class even had people travel from three other wings. 

Eclipse

Most wing PDO's would jump at the chance to add additional classes to their calendar, as long as they don't conflict with
ones already scheduled.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Anyone can "host" a SLS or CLC.......the wing PDO still authorises it.

As for having more.....it should be as simple as calling up your wing PDO and saying "I got 3 people who need it...let's make it happen".

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

disamuel

I took CLC on line last summer through the Wyoming Wing. It was a great course and very informative. It took eight weeks with about an hour or two worth of work each week. I know that most members will probably tell you that it is preferable to take it over a weekend, I just don't have that many weekends to spare for CAP. I would rather spend a free weekend on a SAREX working on mission related skills in an environment that can't be replicated on-line.

One of the exercises in the on-line CLC involved making a proposal to the National Board for a new policy. After the class my policy was actually presented to the board. Overall if you don't have a weekend to spare and need to get it done, I would recommend the on-line version very highly.

Dad2-4

Quote from: SARDOC on October 13, 2011, 02:41:24 PM
Ask if the Squadron can host a traditional class because I'm sure you are not the only one that needs it.
Can't do a resident class. That's why I'm doing it online.

Quote from: disamuel on October 13, 2011, 10:57:24 PM
I took CLC on line last summer through the Wyoming Wing. It was a great course and very informative. It took eight weeks with about an hour or two worth of work each week. I know that most members will probably tell you that it is preferable to take it over a weekend...
Overall if you don't have a weekend to spare and need to get it done, I would recommend the on-line version very highly.
Thanks for that input. That helps. It's not that I don't have time, but I can't be at one in person right now. I've been waiting a long time for an online course to come up.

EMT-83

A few thoughts on some of the comments made about SLS and CLC:

I would agree that a classroom would be the best environment for these courses, and it should be the delivery method for the vast majority of our members. You just can't beat the interaction and networking that occurs between students.

The on-line course is a good substitution for those members who are truly unable to make it to the classroom. I would go so far as to say that group or wing approval should be required for enrollment. This would weed out members who just don't feel like sitting in a classroom, and would open up the limited slots to members who really need them.

Running a good SLS or CLS course isn't magic, but it does require a lot of planning and preparation. If you call and request a course for 3 members, the answer should be no. That would be a waste of resources, and honestly, how do you conduct the group discussions with 3 members of the same squadron?

These courses can be done at the squadron level; I've done it. But they need to be done correctly. NHQ gives you all the material needed, and there is a wealth of talent amongst our ranks to be instructors. All you need to do is ask. Having said that, I'm aware of courses that either don't follow the course material or are a slow painful Death By Powerpoint.

SARDOC

Quote from: Dad2-4 on October 14, 2011, 04:33:11 AM
Can't do a resident class. That's why I'm doing it online.

What keeps you from doing a resident class? 

mjbernier

In this part of Texas, three Groups get together and organize a "training weekend" about every five to six months (offering SLS, CLC, and UCC). I went to their SLS back in June, and I'm trying to get signed up for their CLC next month. I have to agree with an earlier comment about the "in person" aspect of these courses -- while the instructors were top-notch and the material was very helpful, I think I got as much or more out of meeting and talking with many other students from different areas (we had about 60 people in my SLS cadre). Plus, getting through it in one weekend worked great for my schedule. The biggest surprise to me was when the Wing Commader came up for most of the day on Sunday, spoke during one of the joint presentations to all students, and presented everyone with their certificates at the end of class.

I did do the OBC online, and it was okay I suppose; while it was pretty dry stuff to read through, I was able to go at my own pace and fit it into the time I had available. The one I'm dreading is RSC, since that one is about week long in-residence and usually held out of state. But, I have some time yet before I really need to worry about it.

Mike

1st Lt Michael Bernier
Information Technology Officer & Public Affairs Officer
Texoma Composite Squadron TX-262
Denison, TX
http://captexoma.org

Dad2-4

Quote from: SARDOC on October 14, 2011, 09:25:39 PM

Distance.
Just as a side note, I was very disappointed in the SLS I attended. I was all set to gain a wealth of knowledge, even though I had been a member for about 6 years before I was able to finally attend. About 50%+ of the weekend course time was spent listening to pilot anecdotes. Several subjects in the curriculum did not get covered.

Eclipse

Quote from: mjbernier on October 14, 2011, 11:18:29 PMThe one I'm dreading is RSC, since that one is about week long in-residence and usually held out of state. But, I have some time yet before I really need to worry about it.

One Word:  Pacific Region.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Eclipse on October 15, 2011, 02:18:54 AM
Quote from: mjbernier on October 14, 2011, 11:18:29 PMThe one I'm dreading is RSC, since that one is about week long in-residence and usually held out of state. But, I have some time yet before I really need to worry about it.

One Word:  Pacific Region.

Word.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Quote from: Dad2-4 on October 15, 2011, 02:07:53 AM

Distance.
Just as a side note, I was very disappointed in the SLS I attended. I was all set to gain a wealth of knowledge, even though I had been a member for about 6 years before I was able to finally attend. About 50%+ of the weekend course time was spent listening to pilot anecdotes. Several subjects in the curriculum did not get covered.

Sad - the waste of a member's time is never acceptable.  You waited far too long to go, that's part of the challenge in state with too few classes - having members with years of command experience take a basic squadron class doesn't serve anyone.

I drove about 4 hours for mine only to sit in classes "read" by people who knew the program less than I did.  One of the "best" examples:
The class run by someone who said "Forget the book, let's just talk about how cool I am..."  We all laughed, and then he literally did exactly that.   I vowed to not let that happen again under my watch and did my best to insure the instructors in the ones we hosted were knowledgeable, personable, and able to speak with local experience and to real operations.

The old curriculum, where basically there was a slot for each staff job was a nightmare, you'd have people coming by to read four slides about a
job they had never performed and then getting credit for being an instructor. The revised one is much better, but still depends on the directors picking good people.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

Quote from: Dad2-4 on October 15, 2011, 02:07:53 AM

Distance.

You can't be in the only person is that situation.  Contact your Professional Development Officer to see if someone in your squadron can act as a course director, get a place, buy some donuts and have a class.  That way not only can people close to you not have to defeat the distance issue...but the more senior members in your squadron can teach the class getting some checks in the block for their Professional development as well.  Those looking to get level 4 have to be a staff member for a wing level course (sls, clc, tlc...etc..)  Those looking for level 5 have to serve as the course director.   You have to get Wing Commander approval and give NHQ a 45 day notice.  If you Build it...they will come.