Main Menu

LESA South

Started by CAP4117, October 09, 2011, 06:49:13 PM

CAP4117

Can anyone tell me a little more about the Lonestar Emergency Services Academy South (Brownsville) that's coming up in December? I looked at their website, but I have a few questions: How does it compare to NESA? Is it easy for people from other wings to attend? I would be interested in attending the ground school, and when I looked at the pictures, I only saw cadets - do seniors often go as students as well? Any other information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

EDIT: Title change

jimmydeanno

Quote from: CAP4117 on October 09, 2011, 06:49:13 PMHow does it compare to NESA?

My understanding is that the curriculum they use is the NESA material.  So, the information learned should be the same, but the environment/culture may be slightly different.

QuoteIs it easy for people from other wings to attend?
They are very receptive to other wing's members attending.  So, if your Wing Commander is OK with it, they should accept you without a problem.

QuoteI would be interested in attending the ground school, and when I looked at the pictures, I only saw cadets - do seniors often go as students as well?

There usually aren't that many seniors who are involved in Ground Team Operations.  The average age of the CAP senior member is pretty high, so many/most don't like trudging through the woods, standing out in the heat, etc.  So, they opt to do aircrew and mission base staff stuff.

Because CAP cadets can't do aircrew stuff until they're 18, and don't like being stuck at a desk all day (mission base staff), they gravitate towards ground team training (plus they like the badge), and flight line operations.  So, you'll see that the significant majority of the Ground Team School class will be cadets, with a few seniors.  Don't let this discourage you from enrolling in the ground team course, though, as the training is quality and the seniors that are doing it will be interested in it.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

CAP4117

That's great info, thanks! On the website it said something about a physical fitness assessment for seniors - do you happen to know what the standards are?