Almost ready to join- thinking about specialty tracks

Started by Jeff10236, October 03, 2011, 03:25:48 AM

Jeff10236

I'm a 41 year old high school special education/social studies teacher (this is my 6th year).  I joined the Army out of high school but unfortunately it didn't work out and I was discharged after Basic Training.  After the Army didn't work out, I joined the Maryland Defense Force for a year before moving out of state for a year.  Through much of my life, starting in high school, I have been involved in serving my community, but for a while now I have only given back to the community through my work and it is time that I do more.  In addition to teaching, I am currently in a masters program with a dual concentration in curriculum and instruction and educational administration.

I would like to do something that matches my skills so I can be as effective as possible and make the greatest contribution.  I don't necessarily want to do a mirror image of what I do in my job, something that is a bit of a change would be nice (though I assume CAP itself is different enough that should be enough).  I want something that will allow me to stretch and grow my skills (possibly utilizing the administration/management knowledge I'm getting in my masters program but not yet using as long as I'm still a teacher in the classroom).  And finally, I want to have a good time while doing it (I am looking for a combination of fun and that feeling of accomplishment you get when you do something worthwhile).

I am leaning towards the aerospace education specialty track but I'm also interested in historian, emergency services, cadet programs, or moral leadership officer.

I have a some concerns about three of these tracks. 

I am currently quite out of shape.  I'm trying to improve (I have lost 30LBS, but since I started at 305 I still have 70 or 80 to go).  I'm not sure how much of a disadvantage that would be for ES, I assume it would be pretty limiting (though I am an outdoorsman, I love camping and fishing, so maybe some of my skills would help counter those weight issues?).  As for cadet program officer, I see part of their job is physical fitness.  A leader needs to lead by example, and I'd have trouble leading PT right now (even if cadet NCOs and officers run PT, I couldn't see being the cadet program officer and not participating).  Further, my current weight wouldn't be setting a very good example, though my doing something about it would (if they see me working on it).  Are these valid concerns, or am I making too much out of it?

A concern I have for MLO is that I probably won't qualify.  I am Jewish, I was Orthodox for about 10 years (think VERY religious- i.e. nearly Hasidic/Chasidic- formally pray 3 times a day, small blessings too many times a day to count, black suit, white shirt everywhere, yalmulke always, and often I wore the Orthodox black hat).  Since I stopped being Orthodox nearly 3 years ago, I have not regularly attended any one synagogue.  I go often enough, but I spread it out between several synagogues.  So, no one will know me well enough to write a recommendation.  As for the Orthodox rabbis from when I was Orthodox, since I'm not Orthodox anymore I'm a "rasha" (an evil person) according to their theology so I doubt many of them would be willing to write me a letter (if you were never Orthodox you are not a rasha for not being Orthodox, but if you were, and know their teachings, and become non-Orthodox then you are a rasha).  For the required recommendations, how long should the clergy member who writes your recommendation be able to go back with you- if I pick one synagogue to attend regularly, would a year or two suffice if I wanted to add this specialty track down the line?

Because there are several I am interested in, how hard is it to have more than one?  I see many people do.  I'm sure it wouldn't be a good idea for a year or two.  However, after that I'd be interested in doing more than one.  First, I have many interests and if I can work with more than one, that would be great.  Second, it would allow me to better know the organization if I can be involved in more than one area.  One concern though, from my reading, it seems that most of my interests (especially AEO and CPO) may be some of the more time consuming options and thus not really lend themselves to multiple specialty tracks. 

So, any feedback would be appreciated.  Are my concerns valid or am I worrying too much?  What do people in these tracks actually do when at meetings, what would a "typical" meeting look like? 
"Everything in the world- whatever is and whatever happens- is a test, designed to give you freedom of choice. Choose wisely." Rebbe Nachman of Breslov

arajca

Taking it from the top:
What type of discharge did you get? (You don't need to answer this here, but look it up) Honorable, General under Honorable Conditions, General, Medical, General under other than Honorable Conditions, Dishonorable? The type of discharge will affect whether you can join CAP, even though it was many years ago. The MDF is a non-entity as far as CAP is concerned - you get nothing for being in it.

The cadet programs track does not require seniors to do PT. As for setting a good example, do a good job of running whatever part of the cadet program you are put in charge of. Some cadets and seniors will disrespect members who cannot wear the AF uniform, but there really isn't anything you can do about it. Alot will depend on the unit you join and their attitude about it. In regards to ES, there is more to ES than running through the woods. Most folks are more concerned with "Can you do the job?" rather than "What's your weight?"

You're probably right about CDI (Character Development Instructor - formerly MLO). It does require a religious endorsement. Chappie/Chappy? (one of our Chaplains who posts here) can provide more information about it.

Most seniors have several tracks they're involved in. It depends on the person and work load. Most of us handle alot of the work away from meetings. AEO and CP tracks are complimentary and can work well together.

Jeff10236

Quote from: arajca on October 03, 2011, 03:57:26 AM
Taking it from the top:
What type of discharge did you get? (You don't need to answer this here, but look it up) Honorable, General under Honorable Conditions, General, Medical, General under other than Honorable Conditions, Dishonorable? The type of discharge will affect whether you can join CAP, even though it was many years ago. The MDF is a non-entity as far as CAP is concerned - you get nothing for being in it.

The cadet programs track does not require seniors to do PT. As for setting a good example, do a good job of running whatever part of the cadet program you are put in charge of. Some cadets and seniors will disrespect members who cannot wear the AF uniform, but there really isn't anything you can do about it. Alot will depend on the unit you join and their attitude about it. In regards to ES, there is more to ES than running through the woods. Most folks are more concerned with "Can you do the job?" rather than "What's your weight?"

You're probably right about CDI (Character Development Instructor - formerly MLO). It does require a religious endorsement. Chappie/Chappy? (one of our Chaplains who posts here) can provide more information about it.

Most seniors have several tracks they're involved in. It depends on the person and work load. Most of us handle alot of the work away from meetings. AEO and CP tracks are complimentary and can work well together.

Thanks for the information, it is helpful.

My discharge was a General/ELS (Entry Level Separation).  Basically, I was booted due to issues with my ankle which made it impossible to pass the run, so it wasn't a medical discharge.  My RE Code is 3 (I don't remember the qualifiers, but the basic code is 3).  For most things (basically other than re-entering the military) it is as if I was never in.  It doesn't really hurt me for anything, but I don't qualify for any benefits either (I wasn't in long enough).  Now, if I want to go back in the Army (and wasn't too old), I'd need a waiver.  As "Glossary Prior Service" I wouldn't qualify for signing bonuses or the GI Bill since I am prior service, but I would have to go through basic again since I am not really prior service.   That is all for the Army, I'm not quite sure what an ELS means to the other services.  When I looked into trying to go back in the 1990s the recruiters in the Navy, CG and AF always just said they didn't take prior service.  I do see that today it is more complicated than that since neither the Navy nor AF now considers an ELS as prior service and the Coast Guard doesn't seem to have a specific policy.  I never looked at the Marine Corps since if my ankle couldn't handle Army BCT at 19 I didn't think it would handle Marine recruit training in my 20's, so I don't know their policy then or now.

Does anyone know what the specific recommendation requirements are for the MLO position?  I know it requires a letter of recommendation from clergy.  Is there are requirement that the person writing the letter know you for X amount of time, or just that they are willing to write the letter?  Also, does it have to be someone from your congregation or even from your religion, or just a clergy member?  I know several ministers pretty well (one that I have in mind has known me for going on 20 years and another has known me most of my life, though I don't see them that often anymore since they moved out of state), and I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them would be willing to write me a letter of recommendation.  They'd be able to attest to my character even though I don't attend their church and I'm not a member of their religion.

Edit:
As for General under honorable conditions or under other than honorable conditions, these don't exist with an Army ELS.  If the discharge is prior to 180 days active duty and prior to completing IADT (Initial Active Duty for Training- i.e. Basic Combat Training and AIT) you just get a General/Entry Level Separation.  Someone with an ELS wasn't in long enough for under honorable conditions, and didn't do anything for a General under other less than honorable conditions or a Dishonorable discharge.  Essentially, there is no substantial reason my discharge should bar me unless someone doesn't understand an Army ELS (and thus, the reason for no qualifier to the General discharge), in which case all bets are off (but a decision based on that would hopefully be waivable from a more knowledgeable person higher in the chain of command).  The requirements for membership gives "3) Discharge from the armed services under other than honorable conditions." as a disqualifier.  "Other than honorable conditions" is not a type of discharge, nor does it usually mean "any discharge but an honorable," but rather it is a qualifier under a General discharge.  With an ELS the general is uncharacterized and as stated before, no qualifier or characterization is given.  I do know that people with general discharges join CAP often enough.  Hopefully, I won't run into any issues.
"Everything in the world- whatever is and whatever happens- is a test, designed to give you freedom of choice. Choose wisely." Rebbe Nachman of Breslov

JC004

Quote from: Jeff10236 on October 03, 2011, 03:25:48 AM
I am leaning towards the aerospace education specialty track but I'm also interested in historian, emergency services, cadet programs, or moral leadership officer.

AE is good.  That can keep you busy if you do it well.

Historian is something that doesn't always involve a lot of work at the local level (can be full time specialty track material at wing and all, though).  There's no reason you couldn't be a historian and something else. 

Emergency Services...be more concerned about your weight/health for ES qualifications themselves - not the specialty TRACK.  ES qualifications themselves (which don't require you to be enrolled in the SPECIALTY TRACK) include things like Ground Team Member, which may involve a lot of hiking and such.  You could easily be Urban Direction Finding, Mission Scanner, and different mission base staff without too much concern about your health/body.

Cadet Programs....if you can't PT, that's fine.  If you feel strongly about the example thing, enroll in Cadet Programs and be something like Activities Officer.  You can plan cadet activities without needing to run or do push-ups.  Remember, CAP was founded as a way for civilians to support the war effort in WWII, including (perhaps especially) those who couldn't join the military.

Sounds like you may be out of luck with Character Development (MLO).

There is NO REASON you can't be in multiple specialty tracks.  Just look at what you can do with your time and what is needed.  My personal goal is Master in AE, CP, and ES, as well as some things like Safety.  That makes me a well-rounded officer for all sorts of positions.

Short Field

Better yet, ask your squadron commander where he needs help.  It takes transportation officers, admin officers, personnel officers, and supply officers to make a squadron run.  Otherwise the squadron commander gets stuck doing all the paperwork.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Eclipse

+1 - don't over think this.

Spend some time in the unit getting ramped up and see where either the need or your interest is.

"That Others May Zoom"