Main Menu

CAP Question?

Started by Kaisler, September 08, 2011, 07:29:56 AM

Kaisler

Hello, I just got out of High School, I am overweight but still want to join CAP to get my life together. A lot of my family is in the military and i want to try and lose weight and be more responsible. I am really interested in CAP i was wondering if i could still join? I want to try to do something and dedicate myself to something. thank you all for the help.

MIKE

If you are not yet 19 you can still join as a cadet.  So if you are 18, you can join as either a cadet or a senior member.  From the sounds of it you would be looking at the cadet program.  Units with cadets typically have some sort of fitness activity at least monthly, for some this is just the Cadet Physical Fitness Test to meet promotion requirements however... You would be on your own to get yourself in shape to pass for your age and phase of the program.
Mike Johnston

coudano

You are only going to be at CAP 2 hours a week.
That equates out to about 1% of your life.
only 1-2 hours a MONTH at CAP will be focused on physical fitness

I'm not saying this to discourage you from joining CAP,
but if you want to impact some life change, at a base level, with your fitness and self discipline,
you are going to need to find ways to impact bigger percentages of your life

CAP can help you a little with motivation, goal, and focus, but you are going to have to chug it out primarily outside of CAP time.

good luck!!!!

JC004

I wouldn't want to say you shouldn't join CAP but there are some considerations based on what you've said:

- As mentioned, CAP's Cadet Program doesn't focus heavily on physical fitness.  If that's a major thing for you, you may consider something like martial arts.  That said, if all you need is a FRAMEWORK and can do a lot on your own, you could join CAP and add something like the President's Challenge Program.
- You will be old for a starting-out cadet. 
- The cadet program has much more structure than the senior program.
- CAP isn't a bootcamp-type thing, so you get out what you put in and you have to be willing to do things without being forced.

Angus

While the Senior Program doesn't have any focus on physical fitness I would submit that if you do join as a Senior and are in a Cadet Squadron being around them can also work to inspire you as well.  I joined in my mid 20's as part of a Cadet Squadron and they have actually inspired me to get myself in shape and more active. 

Also the point was made that not much time is dedicated to Physical Fitness each month, there are some Units that do it more often.  So shop around. 

Also for some getting themselves in shape to wear the Air Force Uniform to meetings and activities is a motivator.  I speak from personal experience there. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Kaisler

I am 19. So would i start at SM?

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

exFlight Officer

Quote from: Kaisler on September 09, 2011, 05:23:24 AM