Joining CAP as 18 y/o college student

Started by dukefool, August 24, 2011, 11:56:39 PM

dukefool

I wasn't able to get into the college that had ROTC so instead I have chosen Civil Air Patrol as an alternative and will be reapplying for transfer to that college next year. I'm just wondering whether being a Senior Member or Cadet would be better for me. From looking through these threads I see that Senior membership isn't that glamorous. The squadron I will be joining is a composite squadron with no planes so I know that I cannot become a pilot.

Extremepredjudice

Cadet, you can still get a couple achievements that matter...
:)
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

Whether or not the unit has an aircraft assigned is irrelevant to whether you can become a pilot.

The majority of CAP cadets who learn to fly, do so at one of the larger national activities, not their local squadron.

You would be fully qualified to attend those.

"That Others May Zoom"

DakRadz

Last check (within a year), there are anywhere from at LEAST one all the way up to 5 boxes that can be checked as a CAP cadet applying for ROTC.

Senior Member only gets one check. More checked boxes mean more points towards getting into ROTC.

1LtNurseOfficer

Can someone please clarify the following emphasized regulation:

Quote from: CAPR 39-22-1. General.  Cadet membership in CAP is available to all young men and women who meet the eligibility requirements outlined in paragraph 2-2. Cadets who become members before their 19th birthday may retain their cadet status until they reach 21 years of age; however, senior membership is optional for all cadets at age 18 (see paragraph 3-5 for application procedures).

2-2. Requirements for Initial Membership.  All applicants for cadet membership must meet the following prerequisites:
a. Twelve years of age through 18 years of age.  Note:  Individuals applying for membership in a squadron that is participating in CAP's middle school initiative may join if they are below age 12 as long as they are attending at least the sixth grade in the appropriate middle school.  These squadrons are monitored by the Cadet Program office at National Headquarters and have a distinguishing charter number that identifies them as participants of this program.
b. Enrolled in or graduated from a private, public, home school or college program with a satisfactory record of academic achievement.
c. Single or married and under age 18.

Is this regulation contradicting itself??

Thank you.

DakRadz

Single.

Or.

Married and under 18.

Not insulting you by any means, but that was the easiest way to break it down the way the reg is stating it (didn't feel like bold/coloring everything, heh).

A married 17 year old can join as a cadet, but a married 18 year old is only taking the Senior Member route.

Майор Хаткевич

No it is not. If you are 18 AND married, you MUST become a SM.

However, you can be 17 and married, and still be a cadet - until turning 18.

DakRadz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1LtNurseOfficer

I ask because it seems as though one would have until the day before their 19th birthday to join as a cadet.  I thought they could join up until their 18th birthday.

1LtNurseOfficer

Quote from: 1LtNurseOfficer on August 25, 2011, 02:50:51 AM
Can someone please clarify the following emphasized regulation:

Quote from: CAPR 39-22-1. General.  Cadet membership in CAP is available to all young men and women who meet the eligibility requirements outlined in paragraph 2-2. Cadets who become members before their 19th birthday may retain their cadet status until they reach 21 years of age; however, senior membership is optional for all cadets at age 18 (see paragraph 3-5 for application procedures).

2-2. Requirements for Initial Membership.  All applicants for cadet membership must meet the following prerequisites:
a. Twelve years of age through 18 years of age.  Note:  Individuals applying for membership in a squadron that is participating in CAP's middle school initiative may join if they are below age 12 as long as they are attending at least the sixth grade in the appropriate middle school.  These squadrons are monitored by the Cadet Program office at National Headquarters and have a distinguishing charter number that identifies them as participants of this program.
b. Enrolled in or graduated from a private, public, home school or college program with a satisfactory record of academic achievement.
c. Single or married and under age 18.
[/s]

Is this regulation contradicting itself??

Thank you.

Disregard the struck through line.  I can't read.  However, I still question the previous cited.