BDU's are dangerous?

Started by cadetesman, August 16, 2011, 11:05:22 PM

davedove

Quote from: zonaman on August 17, 2011, 12:17:15 AM
At this point in time I hardly think that we (CAP) would be confused with Police, Military, or Militias. Almost all Police and Militias have moved to the ACU or some sort of digital uniform (they like to be up with the times). As for the military I think we all know that the BDU is gone. Except of course for the AF, but that will end very soon. On DMAFB there are like 5 Airmen left that wear the BDU.

I don't know if that's really true.  Sure, WE all know it, but what about the average person.  They see a bunch of people in camouflage uniforms.  Even if they know the military has changed uniforms, they don't know who the people are.  Are they military?  Maybe they're some special unit?  Wait, there's kids with them; maybe they're some junior ROTC or something?**

I don't think that's necessarily a problem though.

**(Or maybe they're some strange survivalist group and they're using those funny yellow boxes to track down and intercept the government brain control rays. :o)
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

sarmed1

...dont worry its not just CAP.  My SWAT  team wears woodland BDU's, 4 of us were sitting at a local diner for breakfast the other day (BDU pants and tan T-shirts that say SWAT) and some lady walked by and thanked us for our service to our country.....

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

N Harmon

In the 1990s we used to get a lot of questions from the public about whether we were associated with the Michigan Militia. Those were fun conversations (not). But did give us an opportunity to explain what Civil Air Patrol was, and what it was not.

Today our uniforms are just one of about a thousand different types of uniforms people see. Nobody pays attention much any more.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

JC004

Quote from: Smokey on August 17, 2011, 02:36:48 AM
Titan....WHY oh WHY did you post that picture...

2 days CAPTalk suspension for posting offensive content.

Persona non grata

When I read the topic header"BDU'S are Dangerous" I was thinking that we should come out with some Public Service Announcement.
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

Eclipse

"Friends Don't Let Friends Wear Camo?"

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

I thought that RM started this thread until I actually read it - no joke.

My only potential gripe with BDU's is that eventually the woodland ones are going to be harder to find as the military changes over to their own designs.  We get a lot of ours from an ANG unit, and that's even starting to run short.

I have never seen police wearing blue BDU's, but I have seen them wearing black ones, usually under body armour.  The closest I have seen is the Coast Guard Operational Duty Uniform, and our insignia is quite different to the USCG/Auxiliary.

LE teams that raid fields of illicit leafy green herbal substances sometimes wear BDU's, but often I think they want and need to be seen as Law Enforcement so that there's no doubt about who's conducting the operation and that they have arrest authority.

I would like to see us go to green nametapes and non-subdued metal insignia - neither of which the AF uses - but that's not going to happen.

I live in an area with a lot of deer hunting.  If we'd be confused with anyone, it would likely be the hunters who buy woodlands at the local army/navy.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SarDragon

Quote from: JC004 on August 17, 2011, 01:50:46 PM
2 days CAPTalk suspension for posting offensive content.

Nah, I liked it!  8)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

cap235629

Quote from: titanII on August 17, 2011, 03:02:10 AM

Don't you realize you provide Radioman with ammo??????

Now he will push for that outfit so that he can remind everyone that we are not the military (therfore not worthy of the BDU).  Of course he would add in large letters on the back...."This person is not to be confused with a member of the military"
:o Knights of Columbus!!! What a terrible mistake!
;D

What in the world does the Knights of Columbus have to do with CAP?
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

titanII

Quote from: cap235629 on August 17, 2011, 09:23:08 PM
Sorry for the obscure reference. It's a line from the movie Anchorman.

If you want to see the reference, go to 1:49 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip6GolC7Mk0
No longer active on CAP talk

Major Carrales

I'm a Knight of Columbus...wha'cha gonna do about it?   ;) :)
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

cap235629

Quote from: titanII on August 17, 2011, 09:31:49 PM
Sorry for the obscure reference. It's a line from the movie Anchorman.

If you want to see the reference, go to 1:49 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip6GolC7Mk0

Obscure and inappropriate.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Lord

Quote from: titanII on August 17, 2011, 03:02:10 AM

Don't you realize you provide Radioman with ammo??????

Now he will push for that outfit so that he can remind everyone that we are not the military (therfore not worthy of the BDU).  Of course he would add in large letters on the back...."This person is not to be confused with a member of the military"
:o Knights of Columbus!!! What a terrible mistake!
;D

Well, we all like funny hats.....and swords......oh yes, and drinking......

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

The CyBorg is destroyed

I'm a Dark Lord of the Sith...but what's that to do with BDU's?

Other than the connection with the military, which is more or less gone now that the services have their own camouflage uniforms, I do not think we need camouflage.  We're not trying for concealment, and as has correctly been pointed out, we wear orange safety vests.

I wouldn't have the slightest problem with us all going to BBDU's (with a one-year phase-in date).

My preference would be for solid OD BDU's.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

titanII

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 17, 2011, 09:55:47 PM
I'm a Knight of Columbus...wha'cha gonna do about it?   ;) :)
:) I have no problems with the Knights of Columbus (especially as a Catholic). Can't say I know anything bad (or good for that matter) about them. I was just quoting a movie.   :)

Quote from: cap235629 on August 17, 2011, 10:22:57 PM
Obscure and inappropriate.
Now that I think about it, you're right- it was a fairly inappropriate link to post, as well as an obscure one. My apologies.  :(
No longer active on CAP talk

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP