Civic Leadership Academy?

Started by shlebz, August 07, 2011, 09:08:32 PM

shlebz

i was looking at the NCSA webpage and i noticed the Civic Leadership Academy... i was just wondering is it worth going to? now i realize "any CAP activity is worth going to due to the experiences" but i never hear anything about his one, good or bad. Any input on it would be appreciated, especially form former CLA graduates
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

crisptheyounger

It is most definitely worth going to. I learned a lot and got to have many unique experiences most people don't get when they go to Washington, D.C. Getting to meet and talk to the Director of the CIA was one of those experiences that happened by year. The experiences are going to be different in some ways from year to year, but it definitely gives you an exclusive experience in D.C. and will teach you a lot about the inner workings of our government.

That being said, it is a highly competitive NCSA. They only take the top 24 applicants every year. I was an alternate the first year I applied, later was offered a slot but had to decline due to surgery :(. I was a primary the second year I applied. If you want to go, I recommend working on your application as early as you can and giving it the proper attention it deserves. It is also different from other NCSAs due to the homework required. Once accepted, you'll have weekly homework assignments that involve a good deal of reading, synthesizing, and writing.

I enjoyed my time at CLA enough to where I recommend it highly for any CAP cadet (along with COS and IACE, of course), especially if they are wanting to pursue a career in public service. Even so, the lessons you will learn are valuable in being a good leader (specifically, what you will learn about persuasive leadership) and a good citizen. The friendships you make CLA are pretty cool too.  ;)
Cadet: 2006-2013, Spaatz #1873

JC004

You likely do not hear much about it because there have only ever been 192 cadets to attend, total.

Since it tends to be older cadets, you will see cadets a lot of them going off to college, the military, etc., and may not be around to talk about CLA.

As a member of the inaugural class of CLA (2004), I can say that it is a great activity with many rare and interesting opportunities.  You learn a lot about government/civics, leadership, career opportunities, etc. 

Since it is highly selective with very few (the fewest?) slots, you should make sure you're doing things that will help show your abilities and be able to present well in your application packet.

The only sad thing is you don't get a physical patch!  We designed the patch that is now on the coin, shirt, website, etc., but since Vanguard requires CAP to put up $3,000 up front for every new patch produced, it has not been made. 

davidsinn

Quote from: JC004 on August 08, 2011, 03:58:32 AM
The only sad thing is you don't get a physical patch!  We designed the patch that is now on the coin, shirt, website, etc., but since Vanguard requires CAP to put up $3,000 up front for every new patch produced, it has not been made.

That is ridiculous. Use your own source like every unit does.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: JC004 on August 08, 2011, 03:58:32 AMThe only sad thing is you don't get a physical patch!  We designed the patch that is now on the coin, shirt, website, etc., but since Vanguard requires CAP to put up $3,000 up front for every new patch produced, it has not been made.

$3k?  For what?

Setup charge for a patch costs about $25, and even at $5 each, no one is making 600.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

I don't know.  When I asked NHQ about the CLA patch, this is what I was told.  I have no additional information.  I can see if I can find the original e-mail.  I want to have one because I was involved in the design.  I guess you can even say that I'm on the patch (the stars represent each CLA graduate).  haha.  The year on it is 2004.