Florida Transfer

Started by Cadet Sleuth, August 02, 2011, 06:22:13 AM

Cadet Sleuth

So I am transferring to Florida for Civil Air Patrol as I am moving down there for college. I am really excited to be able to share my knowledge and be able to learn and gain many opportunities in Florida. Does anyone have any tips or helpful insights on the Florida Wing and their activities/cadets/etc? I would end up being the highest ranking cadet in the squadron also. Have any of you dealt with that situation? I am not looking to take over, I just don't want to intimidate the cadet commander or anything but I do want to continue to help and be able to progress in CAP. Thanks  :)
C/Maj Lauer
"Mission First, People Always"
NESA '09   
NBB '10
CLA '11     
NFAP-NCR '11
COS '11

Woodsy

Where in Florida are you moving? And you might not end up being the highest ranking cadet depending on where you go...  Several active C/ Lt. COL and C/COL's around.

Cadet Sleuth

Actually the cadet commander is a C/Lt as far as I know. I'm going to FSU and will be transferring to the Tallahassee Composite Squadron.
C/Maj Lauer
"Mission First, People Always"
NESA '09   
NBB '10
CLA '11     
NFAP-NCR '11
COS '11

Woodsy

Yeah, the Tally Cadet Commander is a C/2d. Lt. I believe.  Not sure if he's the ranking cadet though.  Good squadron, and Group 2 is definitely the most active in the state in ES.  If you have any questions about FLWG or Group 2 feel free to PM me. 

EmergencyManager6

Dont waste your time.  The Tally Squadron is a lost cause.  They dont want to do anything.  They have ran off many qualified motivated seniors and cadets over the years.   Its pretty sad when your 3 top ranking cadet officers  leave the unit and drive over an hour to a new unit every week!

davidsinn

Quote from: EmergencyManager6 on August 02, 2011, 02:15:47 PM
Dont waste your time.  The Tally Squadron is a lost cause.  They dont want to do anything.  They have ran off many qualified motivated seniors and cadets over the years.   Its pretty sad when your 3 top ranking cadet officers  leave the unit and drive over an hour to a new unit every week!

I thought you weren't a member?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

EmergencyManager6

im not anymore...   The above is still true with the Squadron.  Waste of time.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: EmergencyManager6 on August 02, 2011, 02:15:47 PM

A chip on a shoulder if I ever saw one!

I hear these folks were looking for some good, experienced, professionals. They seem to be having some internet problems though.

Briski

Quote from: Cadet Sleuth on August 02, 2011, 06:22:13 AM
I am not looking to take over, I just don't want to intimidate the cadet commander or anything but I do want to continue to help and be able to progress in CAP.

This attitude will serve you well.

It can be difficult to help others understand your perspective, though. Brush up on your emotional intelligence (EQ) and be prepared to face defense mechanisms. Hopefully it won't be an issue, but this stuff will help you in a career as a sleuth, anyway. :)

When it comes to the self-awareness aspect of EQ, one of the most important things for you to be aware of is your enthusiasm. You bring a wealth of experience and ideas to the table, and it's always good to get an outsider's perspective. But the enthusiasm of a newcomer can be threatening. I didn't begin learning this one until I graduated from college and got my first (real) job.

Also, be careful not to over commit yourself before figuring out what your course load will be like. I say this as one whose enthusiasm often leads her to over committing herself.

Remember... Connect, Communicate, Collaborate. In that order.
JACKIE M. BRISKI, Capt, CAP
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

...not all those who wander are lost...