wearing uniforms to school for recruiting

Started by lycan1138, July 24, 2011, 05:52:19 AM

cust0s

Quote from: DakRadz on August 01, 2011, 10:06:32 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on August 01, 2011, 06:15:03 PM
Quote from: cust0s on August 01, 2011, 01:37:34 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on August 01, 2011, 09:18:06 AM
There's a major difference between pride and showing off.

Okay, and that would be?  Please enlighten me.  Thanks.
Start with Merriam-Webster. The definitions are more plain than I tend to give.

Agreed with Hawk. I've seen cadets in JROTC and CAP take pride in their achievements, rank, uniform, and program. And I've seen cadets show off (myself included).

Guess which action portrays our programs in a bad light and warranted a "discussion" with the SNCO? I'm talking retired SNCO, not cadet type.

I'm not disagreeing but the problem is people make these statements about there being some sort of difference and no one has yet to provide a concrete example.  In fact I did go to Meriam Webster and here's what it says when you search for "showing off":

showing off

The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above.

However, "pride" is reported as "the quality or state of being proud."

So, instead of just making these statements, give us some examples.  If you experienced a "showing off" moment, then we need to know, especially those of us in leadership positions who have yet to see something like this.  What should we be looking for?

Thanks,
Captain, CAP
Deputy Commander, et al.
--
Ph.D. Student (Criminology), LAW, M.A., CERT., B.A.
AFROTC, Cadet (2001-2004)
--
The post above and beneath this one is a lie.

lordmonar

Pride and showing off is the same difference between Self Confidance and Arrogance.

No one can draw that line....but you know it when you see it.

Either way.

Get permission from your commander and get permission from your school....don't make an FPOC of yourself and you are golden.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DakRadz

Mavvrikk

Quotewell my commander chose me because of my maturity not only am i in this program I'm a volunteer firefighter been in military style programs for a long time and a very fair officer.  and we are very short handed... 

Are any of you reading this? I kinda lol'd when I saw that, because he thinks people will believe him...

Mavvrikk

I am a Cadet, and would love to wear my uniform to school, because I am proud of it, but at the same time worried people will think of me as cocky, or a show off.

jimmydeanno

Is there any particular reason that people have decided to jump all over this CDC because of his age? 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DakRadz

Quote from: Mavvrikk on August 04, 2011, 04:39:55 PM
I am a Cadet, and would love to wear my uniform to school, because I am proud of it, but at the same time worried people will think of me as cocky, or a show off.
I would probably consider you to be both considering your response above.

The OP gave his reasons and qualifications. Before that, yeah, I said some stuff.  But after? Right now one of my fellow cadets is a volly FF, been in CAP for years, and if he was asked to switch to SM to be our DCC, I would gladly call him sir and follow his lead- and he would gladly take the position if necessary based on past conversations. (My squadron isn't that short-staffed, luckily- we have good experienced leaders).

But hey, everyone has to learn sometime. The OP did, at least, step up to the plate.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 04, 2011, 04:41:32 PM
Is there any particular reason that people have decided to jump all over this CDC because of his age?

I was personally surprised, because his OP gave me the impression that he is a younger cadet.

I guess it went downhill from there.

Mavvrikk, I'm not sure how old you are, but you do admit to being a cadet. Did the new leadership texts get rid of respect for officers?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

DakRadz

OP- SM with former NJROTC experience. Paid his dues, given DCC job.

Doubtful posts regarding who/what/why the OP was.

Argument over... pride and prejudice? Something like that.

Cadet steps in and says the OP is some sort of lying troll.

Eclipse is confused- O.O/thread!

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: DakRadz on August 04, 2011, 05:02:59 PM
OP- SM with former NJROTC experience. Paid his dues, given DCC job.

Doubtful posts regarding who/what/why the OP was.

Argument over... pride and prejudice? Something like that.

Cadet steps in and says the OP is some sort of lying troll.

Eclipse is confused- O.O/thread!

Actually,

OP asks a non-punctuated one liner;
Reveals to be a HS Senior and the DCC;
That leads to a side discussion on the situation;
Topic moves on and does a slow drift;
Topic gets once again carried away with Mavverikk's comments;
Here we are now.

Skydude61

Quote from: lordmonar on July 24, 2011, 05:56:06 AM
Get your squadron commander's permission first.
Then talk with your school adminstation to make sure they don't mind recruiting at school....then go for it.

Also make sure that these are documented and signed... don't want people saying "why are you doing this" and then all you have is verbal confirmation. better to have it on paper.

Why are we talking about ages of cadets from JROTC, and how much they have done, or what they have paid, or doubted...
BACK ON TRACK!

Mavvrikk

If he is actually an officer, I apologize, but due to the fact of how he types and his stories seem pretty unrealistic, I don't really believe him, but, if he's telling the truth, I give him all respect.

cust0s

Quote from: Mavvrikk on August 08, 2011, 08:15:45 PM
If he is actually an officer, I apologize, but due to the fact of how he types and his stories seem pretty unrealistic, I don't really believe him, but, if he's telling the truth, I give him all respect.

Isn't that the same as saying "With all due respect..." before insulting somebody?  Haven't you seen Talladega Nights?
Captain, CAP
Deputy Commander, et al.
--
Ph.D. Student (Criminology), LAW, M.A., CERT., B.A.
AFROTC, Cadet (2001-2004)
--
The post above and beneath this one is a lie.

Майор Хаткевич

What are the CAP Core Values again?

DakRadz

He's a SM. He never claimed to be a CAP cadet.

Also, proof-read your signature.

Mavvrikk

Quote from: DakRadz on August 09, 2011, 01:38:15 AM

He's a SM. He never claimed to be a CAP cadet.

Also, proof-read your signature.

My signature? And I'm done with the conversation, you guys are right, I apologize.

lycan1138

Sorry about my grammar it's not that great because i was on a iphone and the screen was broken so i couldn't use all the buttons. And yes i am telling the truth, i do not lye about this stuff, also we have 3 senior member we are really short handed and the SM part of the squadron is horrible because of it but we are trying to fix the problems luckily we have help from some experienced officer.

mjbernier

Regardless of the nature of the OP's rank or position, the question that started this thread had to do with whether or not it was a good idea for Cadets to wear their uniforms to school for recruiting purposes. I think that this question was pretty well answered along the way. The side discussions sort of took things on tangents that really didn't have much application to the original question. I hope the same will not happen to me...

I have a similar question regarding the wear of uniforms at school, but it's from a different angle. I am the recently-appointed PAO for our squadron, and I am helping our CC put together materials that could be used in presentations to our local schools and civic groups. I will likely be the one to speak to our local school board since all three of my children have been in that system over the past 10 years. When I do get on the agenda to present at a school board meeting, or later when I'm making presentations in the schools themselves, is it appropriate (or is there a best practice) to go to these presentations in full dress uniform (Class A/B/Aviator shirt) or to dress more casually (such as the golf shirt uniform)? Would the same policy or practice apply if I am speaking to a civic group, like a Rotary club?

Thanks in advance!  ;D

Mike
1st Lt Michael Bernier
Information Technology Officer & Public Affairs Officer
Texoma Composite Squadron TX-262
Denison, TX
http://captexoma.org

Briski

I've heard the "with your squadron commander's approval" response pretty much ever since I joined CAP. However, I recently tried looking it up, and I couldn't find any regulatory precedent for it.

Does anyone have a reg cite to verify that authorizing members to wear their CAP uniforms to school is within the squadron commander's authority?

Thanks,
JACKIE M. BRISKI, Capt, CAP
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

...not all those who wander are lost...