Main Menu

Language in 35-3

Started by CAP4117, July 14, 2011, 07:45:29 PM

CAP4117

I was reading some of the regs and I came across this in the 35-3 under Causes to Terminate Senior Membership:
"(4) Insanity, habitual drunkenness, sexual perversion, or illiteracy" (p. 2, paragraph 4b)

What exactly do they mean by "insanity?" It's not really a term that's used anymore, at least not in any medical sense.

MSG Mac

Insanity is a legal term. Any Lawyers want to define it?
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

N Harmon

Insanity may be the easiest to define of the four. :P
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Eclipse

Define insanity? What, are you nuts?

"That Others May Zoom"

CAP4117

I guess my question is whether "insanity" refers to all mental illnesses as classified by the DSM-IV - if not, who determines the criteria for what is considered "insane"?

RiverAux

I'm actually a little more intrigued by the literacy requirement.  I don't recall seeing a literacy test in the squadron file cabinet. 

FW

35-3 is over 30 years old.   I think that is the definition of insanity.... >:D

If ever a regulation needs to be updated; it's this one.

CAP4117

^ Agreed.
I'm assuming they meant something like severe mental illness to the point of not being able to perform duties (which is logical, just as a severe physical illness would prevent someone from being able to perform duties)...but I think that maybe the language could be a little more clear to avoid actual/perceived discrimination? These days, it seems like most anti-discrimination policies include clauses on not discriminating based on mental illnesses.

brenaud

Terminate membership?  You mean it's not a prerequisite for membership?
WILLIAM A. RENAUD, Lt Col, CAP
TNWG Director of Personnel & Administration
GRW #2699

davedove

Quote from: CAP4117 on July 14, 2011, 08:12:18 PM
I guess my question is whether "insanity" refers to all mental illnesses as classified by the DSM-IV - if not, who determines the criteria for what is considered "insane"?

I would say you need to stick to legally declared insanity.  There are many people with forms of mental illness that with the right treatment are fully functional.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

JeffDG

Quote from: brenaud on July 14, 2011, 11:27:56 PM
I dunno about membership in general, but certainly any job that involves having birds on your shoulders requires at least a bit of insanity to accept. >:D

afgeo4

Isn't serving in CAP insane in the first place? I mean who does all this work, gets chewed out by people who do less work, and comes back for more for NO compensation?!
GEORGE LURYE

SARDOC

That's a good point...maybe it's assumed yo can read if you meet the high school graduate requirement when you become a senior member...or maybe after they have become a member you discover someone has forgotten how to read...hmmm

afgeo4

Quote from: SARDOC on July 16, 2011, 01:23:45 PM

That's a good point...maybe it's assumed yo can read if you meet the high school graduate requirement when you become a senior member...or maybe after they have become a member you discover someone has forgotten how to read...hmmm
Try reading CAPR 35-5 and you'll feel you've forgotten how to read (or wish you did.)
GEORGE LURYE