First Time Cadet Staff Tips

Started by gallaher432, July 07, 2011, 03:43:11 PM

gallaher432

It's my first time staffing an encampment, huzzah! I'm going to be a medic at the 2011 FLWG Summer Encampment at Ft. Blanding. Anybody have any tips that could help me? Like what extra things to bring, what to expect, that kind of thing?
Josh Gallaher, C/SMSgt, CAP
AFLT/CCS
SER-FL-432

HGjunkie

Gallaher! Hey man.

To bring? Plenty of hydration gear. Sunscreen, lip balm, and everything on the packing list. What to expect? A high intensity environment. Be prepared.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

JC004

Lots of writing capability - Rite in the Rain notebooks are fantastic for that.  A laptop helps with cadets nowadays - at least in many positions.  Some may not really need it, depending on how a particular encampment's staff does things, distributes files, etc.  Flash drive is good.  Camera is good.  As cadet staff, we used to just pack everything on the cadet student/basic contraband list that wasn't illegal.   >:D  A clipboard, if not on the list, is a great thing to have.  Mountain Dew was always essential for PAWG cadet staff (including pocket size).  A basic sewing and uniform repair/cleaning/touch-up kit for all reasonably possible scenarios, if that isn't on the list.  Padlocks weren't on ours but I brought them anyway to put on certain things.  Depending on your position, some extra things for your cadets if you have them (say, extra cutouts).  Extra pens.  DUCT TAPE.  Back-up supplies can be important for yourself as well. 

HGjunkie

Quote from: JC004 on July 07, 2011, 04:28:19 PM
Mountain Dew was always essential for PAWG cadet staff (including pocket size). 

Monster and Red Bull cans are the staple here in FL. I'm gonna over-emphasize the fact you'll need to bring foot powder. Foot powder + good socks = Happy feet.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

gallaher432

Quote from: HGjunkie on July 07, 2011, 04:11:12 PM
Gallaher! Hey man.

To bring? Plenty of hydration gear. Sunscreen, lip balm, and everything on the packing list. What to expect? A high intensity environment. Be prepared.

Hey! Lol, I'm assuming I know you? I've heard to bring lip balm and stuff, but what kind of snacks?
AFLT/CCS
SER-FL-432

HGjunkie

Quote from: gallaher432 on July 07, 2011, 04:46:16 PM
but what kind of snacks?

Nothing messy. Chip bags and soda bottles (energy drinks too) but I wouldn't really encourage it.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Hawk_Girl

Quote from: HGjunkie on July 07, 2011, 05:00:15 PM
but what kind of snacks?

Nothing messy. Chip bags and soda bottles (energy drinks too) but I wouldn't really encourage it.

I'm going to be at the Summer Encampment as well. With snacks, you want stuff high in protein. They are to give you a quick boost. If you bring stuff like peanuts, or granola bars, or something like that, it will give you more energy and is much better for you, without the crash that most energy drinks give you. Sodas, just be careful because you want to make sure that you drink enough water to counterbalance the sugar the caffeine you are putting into your body. Those will tend to dehydrate you really bad, so you wanna drink extra water. Gatorade, and other electrolyte drinks are really good.

"The size of your success is measured by the strength of your desire; the size of your dream; and how you handle disappointment along the way." ~ Robert Kiyosaki

Eclipse

Do not bring anything to eat or drink unless the gear list specifically allows it.

Monster and Red Bull?  Seriously?

Most cadet activities discourage or prohibit caffeinated "energy drinks" for cadets.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk_Girl

Quote from: Eclipse on July 09, 2011, 03:25:42 AM

Monster and Red Bull?  Seriously?

Most cadet activities discourage or prohibit caffeinated "energy drinks" for cadets.

In the past they have been allowed, with senior members being instrumental in getting more for the cadet staff, however, I believe they are going to be off limits this summer.

"The size of your success is measured by the strength of your desire; the size of your dream; and how you handle disappointment along the way." ~ Robert Kiyosaki

HGjunkie

[Insert statement about being addicted to Monster]

If there's Coffee at Encampment, I don't see why anyone would want to drag along a case of energy drinks. I think they've been prohibited before too, with vending machine soda being an exception.

'Cause, you know, Mess Hall Coffee is decent stuff actually.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Spaceman3750

Quote from: HGjunkie on July 09, 2011, 03:58:48 AM

If there's Coffee at Encampment, I don't see why anyone would want to drag along a case of energy drinks. I think they've been prohibited before too, with vending machine soda being an exception.

Why are they letting you drink coffee? Are you less prone to dehydration than basic cadets? Caffeine in any form will only serve to dehydrate you - if you aren't getting enough sleep then it's a time management issue not a caffination issue.

Hawk_Girl

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 09, 2011, 04:13:58 AM

Why are they letting you drink coffee? Are you less prone to dehydration than basic cadets? Caffeine in any form will only serve to dehydrate you - if you aren't getting enough sleep then it's a time management issue not a caffination issue.

If they do allow the staff coffee, then just make sure to drink enough water to compensate.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Hawk_Girl on July 09, 2011, 04:15:45 AM

If they do allow the staff coffee, then just make sure to drink enough water to compensate.

IIRC one of the ways it dehydrates you is by acting as a diuretic. More water = more excretion, not necessarily more hydration. I don't have any first-hand experience in the area but that's what the "books" say. One coffee at breakfast is probably fine but I know folks who will drink coffee like it's an IV drip.

Hawk_Girl

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 09, 2011, 04:21:12 AM
Quote from: Hawk_Girl on July 09, 2011, 04:15:45 AM

IIRC one of the ways it dehydrates you is by acting as a diuretic. More water = more excretion, not necessarily more hydration. I don't have any first-hand experience in the area but that's what the "books" say. One coffee at breakfast is probably fine but I know folks who will drink coffee like it's an IV drip.

As long as you are taking in as much fluid and electrolytes as you are excreting, then its not a problem. Its the same for the energy drinks, however those have many more problems than just hydration.

- That is what I have experienced/see/ and heard from all the serious medical people who I have spoken to.

nicktavegia

Our DDR officer did a lesson on Energy Drinks and their dangers.  Drinking one small sized can of an energy drink increases the risk of heart attack or stroke for even healthy young people.  A young person may show symptoms of cardio-vascular disease one hour after drinking just one can of a Red Bull, Monster, Rockstar, Snapple Fire, Power Horse, Atomic Energy, Full Throttle type of energy drink.  It actually takes between 3 – 96 hours to rid your body of the harmful ingredients in just one can of an energy drink. Strokes in older adult men dropped 25% while strokes in boys and young men ages 15-34 jumped a whopping 51%!  A research conducted by the Cardiovascular Research Centre at the Royal Hospital in Australia tested 30 teen aged boys one hour before and one hour after consuming one 8 ounce can of Red Bull. These healthy young men developed symptoms of cardiovascular disease that is normally found in 65 year old, unhealthy men! 
Semper Vigilans,
C/MSgt Nicholas Tavegia
Flight Sergeant Bartow Etowah Composite Squadron
Cadet of the Quarter

HGjunkie

This reminds me of a story I heard at HGA from a blue hat last year.

He was a semi-pro snowboarder who did competitions and was doing really, really well. He had a three Monster a day habit though, and would have an extra one before going out on the ramp (or whatever it's called). The habit caught up to him, and he ended up having a heart attack mid-jump, died in the air, hit a rail coming back down, broke some ribs, and was resuscitated.  Nowadays, he can't have any caffeine because of the effects all the monsters had on his heart.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

cap235629

Quote from: HGjunkie on July 07, 2011, 05:00:15 PM
but what kind of snacks?

We do not allow snacks at encampment in Arkansas Wing. Food in the barracks and sick kids from overindulgence are a no no.  We also teach our cadet staff to lead by example and they eat what the basics eat.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

cap235629

Quote from: gallaher432 on July 07, 2011, 03:43:11 PM
It's my first time staffing an encampment, huzzah! I'm going to be a medic at the 2011 FLWG Summer Encampment at Ft. Blanding. Anybody have any tips that could help me? Like what extra things to bring, what to expect, that kind of thing?

I assume you mean as an assistant to the Medical Officer because you are a cadet?

The thought of cadet "medics" treating other cadets makes me twitch
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

gallaher432

Quote from: cap235629 on July 09, 2011, 03:41:55 PM
Quote from: gallaher432 on July 07, 2011, 03:43:11 PM

I assume you mean as an assistant to the Medical Officer because you are a cadet?

The thought of cadet "medics" treating other cadets makes me twitch

Yeah, kinda. Like we'll provide basic first aid and such, but we'll leave everything heavy to the real pros. We'll just make sure everyone stays healthy and give them ice packs and mole skin and things like that.
AFLT/CCS
SER-FL-432