How much "Ultramarine Blue"????

Started by bassque, June 25, 2011, 11:19:45 PM

bassque

So I was scouring through CAPM 39-1 looking for exactly how much "blue" needs to be around the insignia on the collar and I couldn't find that there was an actual regulation mentioning it.  It seems that 1/2 inch of blue all the way around seems to be what I've noticed in the past.  The reason I ask is b/c when they come from Vangaurd, they are, of course, 3" x 3" and frayed beyond belief. 

Thanks!
Jeff

MIKE

1/8th of an inch.

Quote from: CAPM 39-16-6. Description and Proper Placement on the BDU, Utility Uniform, Field Uniform and Flight
Suits. All white on blue insignia will have 1/8 inch of blue showing at the widest and tallest point of
the insignia,
except the Civil Air Patrol tape and the nametape. These two will be the width of the BDU
or field uniform pocket. When placing multiple insignia in the same area, measure from the insignia to
insignia not blue to blue. For more instructions see Chapters 2 and 4. Figures 6-2, 6-3, 6-10, 6-11, and
6-12 illustrate the white on blue grade insignia. Figures 6-16 through 6-20 illustrate the various insignia
that may be worn on these uniforms. Table 6-4 outlines the placement of these items.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

Quote from: bassque on June 25, 2011, 11:19:45 PM
It seems that 1/2 inch of blue all the way around seems to be what I've noticed in the past. 

I've seen that, too.  Way too much.

See page 32 of CAPM 39-1

"All white on blue insignia will have 1/8-inch of blue showing at the widest and tallest point of the insignia,
except the Civil Air Patrol and name tapes. "

(Mike won the race).

"That Others May Zoom"

bassque

Must have looked right over it.  Thanks gents!

JC004

The "current" "uniform" "manual" is the first to include the guidance.  Before that, people guessed or used that standard from word of mouth or military experience.

coudano

Meh when you measure the 1" also make sure it is from the edge of the collar to the actual rank,
not to the blue border  (so the edge of the blue border will be 7/8" from the edge of the collar)

Eclipse

For those thinking "Who cares? No one notices."

We all see it.  the UMB insures that anything more than a whisper off can be seen from space.  Just because no one
challenges you on it doesn't mean it wasn't noticed and noted.

Everyone makes mistakes, not having it corrected next time is really where the attitude shows.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Actually, relating to the manual statement: Is is 1/8 inch, or is it 1/8 inch at the most?

I'm actually wondering. I've hand sewn all my uniforms (well enough that everyone that sees it swears that I had to have done it on a machine), and when I put on any insignia the blue field is about twice the width of the thread. Takes a little work, but it's tight, and the ends don't "crinkle" as much.

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 26, 2011, 06:39:51 PM
Actually, relating to the manual statement: Is is 1/8 inch, or is it 1/8 inch at the most?

1/8" solid - see above for two quotes from 39-1.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

I just got some Major insignia from Vanguard.  The insignia came in a 3"X3" square with a stitch around the perimeter to keep the fraying down.

Turns out, that just folding under all the edges so they meet in the middle gives me the 1/8" of blue required (i.e. fold the left and right sides under and when the edges touch underneath, repeat for top and bottom).  No trimming, nice square corners.  Oh, and the embroidery looks good.  Too bad it doesn't match the one I have on my BDU cap :P
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

MIKE

That's odd... They could make them like the fabric strip CG and CGAUX insignia that they also make, which come partially folded and sewn.
Mike Johnston

jimmydeanno

Quote from: MIKE on July 11, 2011, 09:15:50 PM
That's odd... They could make them like the fabric strip CG and CGAUX insignia that they also make, which come partially folded and sewn.

You mean like this one?

It's just like it, just not partially sewn down.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

MIKE

Yeah, the top and bottom are already folded down and sewn on those LCDR oak leaves, so you just trim and fold in the sides. Mine look like this tho:

Mike Johnston