GT Gear Task O-0001 Training question - matches vs lighter / firestarter

Started by ipjaeger, June 20, 2011, 06:05:46 PM

ipjaeger

All,

Did a search but didn't find what I was looking for - if you know where it is, please link and I'll look there... I've had several new members who are going through training (cadets especially) who were told they couldn't participate because of an all caps not in Task O-0001 which reads:

QuoteNOTE: ALL REQUIRED ITEMS MUST BE PRESENT IN ORDER FOR THE STUDENT TO PASS THIS
TASK AT THE LEVEL THEY ARE TESTING FOR. ALL ITEMS MUST MATCH THE DESCRIPTIONS
LISTED ABOVE. NO EXCEPTIONS OR SUBSTITUTIONS. TRAINEES ONLY HAVE TO HAVE THE
ITEMS MARKED WITH A "T". TEAM LEADERS MUST HAVE ALL LEADER'S EQUIPMENT AS
WELL IN ORDER TO PASS.

http://www.nesa.cap.gov/curriculum_material/GSAR/G&UDFTG.pdf

The problem wit this is the 'no exceptions or substitutions' part.  I've been doing SAR / Survival for a long time, and I don't carry matches or a waterproof container, and I don't condone carrying them either.  I carry a magnesium firestarter and a lighter.  I can survive MUCH longer on those than I can with 12 matches, and if the wind is blowing and I use up a few matches, I'm hosed... with a lighter, even if I run out of gas, I still have the sparker at the top - with the firestarter, even if I lose the striker, I still have a knife.  Survival is all about redundancy and effectiveness of your tools.

Furthermore, with the advent of camelbak's we don't carry canteen's anymore.  Chemical light sticks are no longer chemical - they are battery operated, and can be used as a strobe or even your backup light.  Shoe polish?  really?

My real issue though is when we deny someone training because they too feel that firestarters / lighters are better and they don't get signed off on the task.  Has anyone run into this before?  How was this handled?

Thanks,
Ian

lordmonar

That's where you leadership comes in.

Sometimes a regulation....or in this case a task guide is just plain stupid....due to changes in policy, equipment, technology, environment what ever.

If some one on my team does not have the required number of strke anywhere matches...and has a suitable substitute then I sign off the task and/or allow the member to particpate in the operation.

I know that there will be some out there that will moan about...but its in the task guide!
Bottom line is at the end of the day....do you have a way of making fire in a wet/windy envioirnment?  Okay...good to go, let's proceed to the next task.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ol'fido

You shouldn't carry 12 matches. You should carry a lot more. Matches are pretty light. I usually have two or three match safes squirreled away in my field gear. I also carry a couple of butane lighters, a boy scout flint and steel, 0000 steel wool, jellied up cotton balls, char cloth, and heat tabs. As you said, redundancy is important.

You can still get chemical chem lights. These are pretty light also. So carry a couple in addition to your electric one.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Eclipse

I wouldn't make an issue of it, but it would not kill you to get them and conform for your gear tasking and then move on with life.

As to camelbacks, lots of people still use canteens or "other".

Chemical lightsticks, however are not optional for good reason.

Don't try to over think things too much, or stress on your "experience", just go with it until you have some time in.

Who is denying anyone training?

"That Others May Zoom"