Main Menu

Army Dumps Beret

Started by ColonelJack, June 14, 2011, 01:15:34 AM

Flying Pig

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on June 14, 2011, 04:03:00 AM
Quote from: Flying Pig on June 14, 2011, 03:43:56 AM
Just female head gear.  Any female can wear it.  Has nothing to do with a unit or specialty.

I didnt know they still wore it.

Wasnt this hat was it?

http://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_image_pages/0471-0705-2915-5914.html

Negative, sir.  It was an actual all-black beret.  I couldn't see what the insignia on it was.

SarDragon -- thanks for the info!

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/usn-navy-female-enlisted-uniform-beret-w-insignia

I was having a terrible time finding a photo....but I think this is what your talking about.

flyboy53

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 14, 2011, 03:20:41 AM
Whats funny is that AF actually has more berets than the Army

CCT (scarlet) PJs (maroon) SERE (pewter)  Combat Weather (grey) Security Police (blue) TACP (black)

Army (black) Airborne units (maroon) Rangers (tan) SF (green)

By Cyborg
I also think General Shinseki wanted the Army to look more like other NATO countries.

That wasnt his stated reason though.  It was that he wanted the average soldier to "feel" elite. He said it...I was there!  Or at least I heard my CO read his message ;D

That's actually how this whole thing starts. Back in the late 1970s/early 1980s, there were a whole assorment of berets worn by different Army units. I remember being at Fort Benjamin Harrison during that period and seeing an assortment of different colors. I can't remember all them, other than 173rd Light Infantry Bdge of Fort Richardson probably had the most unusual -- olive drab -- because they were at that point the only artic infantry unit in the whole Army.

ol'fido

You mean 172nd. 173rd was airborne and deactivated after VN until the mid-90s.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Thrashed

Save the triangle thingy

Flying Pig

I recall an Army advisor unit wearing orange berets once.  It was a unit out of the 82nd that was sent over to the Sanai in the 80's I believe.  Desert cammies and orange berets.  NIIIICE >:D

Artic infantry.  What a bummer :o  Take a job that sucks already and then just turn it on "FULL BLOW".

Having been an 8 year grunt and survivor of mountain and winter warfare school, I can say that with authroity.

ol'fido

I think the orange-ish berets were MFO-Multi-national Force and Observers. Six months sitting in the Sinai desert making sure that the Israelis and the Egyptians continued to just glare at each other.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Flying Pig

SarDragon

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 14, 2011, 02:18:29 PM
Quote from: PhoenixCadet on June 14, 2011, 04:03:00 AM
Quote from: Flying Pig on June 14, 2011, 03:43:56 AM
Just female head gear.  Any female can wear it.  Has nothing to do with a unit or specialty.

I didnt know they still wore it.

Wasnt this hat was it?

http://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_image_pages/0471-0705-2915-5914.html

Negative, sir.  It was an actual all-black beret.  I couldn't see what the insignia on it was.

SarDragon -- thanks for the info!

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/usn-navy-female-enlisted-uniform-beret-w-insignia

I was having a terrible time finding a photo....but I think this is what your talking about.

Dat be de one!

My Sweetie still has hers.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MIKE

Didn't look bad on Demi Moore in her Winter Dress Blues.
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Army Directive 2011-11.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: MIKE on June 14, 2011, 11:14:55 PM

Demi Moore could make a ghillie suit look hot. :P
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

indygreg

Quote from: CyBorg on June 15, 2011, 06:29:06 AM

If all of the plastic and silicone didn't melt.

JC004

Quote from: CyBorg on June 15, 2011, 06:29:06 AM

If you can see a ghillie suit, it's too late for you.

SoCalMarine

Quote from: PHall on June 14, 2011, 02:41:43 AM
Quote from: Thrash on June 14, 2011, 02:16:28 AM
Let the French wear the berets.

Say that a little louder, I don't believe the Special Forces guys and the Rangers standing next to them heard ya! >:D

As a Marine I find berets retarded. A couple months back I was in Chili's in Savannah, GA and had some guy who didn't like my conversation with fellow Marines. Long story shot, he yelled at us telling us he's a Ranger. My response was, "Who cares? My 7 year old niece has a tan beret." Hahahahaha

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: honolulugold on June 15, 2011, 11:25:38 AM
As a Marine I find berets retarded. A couple months back I was in Chili's in Savannah, GA and had some guy who didn't like my conversation with fellow Marines. Long story shot, he yelled at us telling us he's a Ranger. My response was, "Who cares? My 7 year old niece has a tan beret." Hahahahaha

I'm sure you displayed a very good public face for the Corps by doing that.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SoCalMarine

Quote from: CyBorg on June 15, 2011, 03:40:28 PM

Well, I don't know but I know we Marines liked it... as well as some other Army personnel sitting around us who don't like the attitude of the Rangers either.

Now that I'm GA Guard I've tried to adapt to the Army culture, but its hard after years of Marine-taught dislike of the Army. In reality, the only thing I dislike about the Army is this (and SgtMaj Kent- USMC stated the same thing recently)...

If you ask someone in the Army who they are they'll say I'm a Ranger, Airborne or another job. You ask a Marine who he is and he simply says I'm a Marine. I think the Army would greatly benefit by changing the culture so that Soldiers identify themselves as Soldiers rather than by what they do. I just think it would be better for the community as a whole.

SarDragon

GA Guard, living in CA. How did you manage that?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Flying Pig

Quote from: CyBorg on June 15, 2011, 03:40:28 PM
Quote from: honolulugold on June 15, 2011, 11:25:38 AM

CyBorg
You obviously know NOTHING about how the Marines and Army Infantry interact with each other.  I would have expected him to do nothing less! :clap:

Ned

Quote from: honolulugold on June 15, 2011, 08:52:03 PM
Now that I'm GA Guard I've tried to adapt to the Army culture (. . .)

Wow, GA Guard, CAP, and USCGA.

You have got to have the coolest closet ever!   :clap:

SoCalMarine

Quote from: SarDragon on June 15, 2011, 09:33:39 PM
GA Guard, living in CA. How did you manage that?

FROM California. Live in Georgia.