College & Squadron Meetings

Started by Arrow, May 27, 2011, 04:12:00 AM

Arrow

Hi, I'm an 18 y/o Cadet Chief Master Sergeant. I just enrolled at my Community College for nursing, which requires me to take 6 classes my first semester. I have a little bit of a problem...

My weekly squadron meetings are on Wednesdays @ 1900-2100. My SOCL 101 classes are on Wednesdays 1700-2030. As you can see, the class and the meeting conflict with one another.  This is the last sociology class that is not full, and I need this class for my first semester.

My questions are:
1) Do I have to resign? Or can I take a break by telling my DCC?
2) When they say "school comes first" for cadets, does that apply to college as well?
3) If I have to resign, will I still be allowed to come back as a cadet?

Thank you so much.
C/2dLt Iain Davis, CAP.

SARDOC

I wouldn't resign...If you resign you can might have difficulty returning as a cadet if you return while still 18...you turn 19 and you won't be able to rejoin as a cadet.  It's not unusual for a Cadet to become a little more inactive as far as school is concerned.  Contact your DCC for advice.  Yes..Your school should absolutely come first.  Congratulations on choosing Nursing...and good luck

SarDragon

Quote from: Arrow on May 27, 2011, 04:12:00 AM
Hi, I'm an 18 y/o Cadet Chief Master Sergeant. I just enrolled at my Community College for nursing, which requires me to take 6 classes my first semester. I have a little bit of a problem...

My weekly squadron meetings are on Wednesdays @ 1900-2100. My SOCL 101 classes are on Wednesdays 1700-2030. As you can see, the class and the meeting conflict with one another.  This is the last sociology class that is not full, and I need this class for my first semester.

My questions are:
1) Do I have to resign?

No.

QuoteOr can I take a break by telling my DCC?

Yes.

Quote2) When they say "school comes first" for cadets, does that apply to college as well?

Grey area. In college, it's your money (or mom & dad's), and it's up to you to derive the value from it.

Quote3) If I have to resign, will I still be allowed to come back as a cadet?

Thank you so much.

No, but see #1.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Chief2009

You do not have to resign, just tell your DCC what's going on and try to make the meetings you can.

DN
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

Arrow

Thanks guys. That was a major relief.
C/2dLt Iain Davis, CAP.

a2capt

Leave of Absence.. for a semester, participate on weekends when you can, keep on the call down, or whatever vehicle your unit may use for disseminating whats going on that week. You can still study the modules, and maybe even make arrangements to take the next test during that period at an alternate time/location and be ready when you can attend more again.

mclarke

Is there another squadron in your area, or close enough to drive to? If you have a lot of trouble making the meetings your squadron may allow you (as you would also need permission from the other squadron as well) to attend their meetings so you can at least still remain active.

The other options (far more difficult) is to talk with the school admissions office, explain your situation, and see if maybe you can change your schedule a little bit in order to keep that evening free. This is obviously going to depend upon the number of students, if there is another time and/or day the class is offered and so on, but worth a shot.

FW

Getting permission to attend a squadron which meets on a more convenient night is a very good option.  I went away to a school far away from home and was allowed to attend a squadron which met on campus.  Just needed a little coordination between the squadron commanders.  It was no problem for all concerned. 
Since you are still local however, I would first ask if there were any accommodations which could be made for the semester.  Most squadron commanders will try to make things happen for a hard working cadet who wants to progress up the ladder.  In any event enjoy the summer and get the most out of it as possible.

JayT

College is far more important then CAP right now. You shouldn't even be asking if "college comes first." An ASN is gonna support you and your family. CAP isn't.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

elipod

Quote from: JThemann on May 27, 2011, 05:35:19 PM
College is far more important then CAP right now. You shouldn't even be asking if "college comes first." An ASN is gonna support you and your family. CAP isn't.

Haha, true true. I wont disagree with that, but I am finding it amazing, how much I, as a cadet, can get out of the program. The opportunities are endless. College does come first, but if you put into CAP, you will get amazing experiences out of it. If you are dedicated, in just a few short years, you could find yourself on a trip worth thousands of dollars, for almost nothing. You could find yourself being promoted by the President of the United States, or even receiving a nomination for the Air Force Academy.

The opportunities are literally endless. Trust me.
"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else"

Al Sayre

Just be sure to keep your monthly safety briefings up to date.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

JayT

Quote from: elipod on May 27, 2011, 05:47:52 PM

Haha, true true. I wont disagree with that, but I am finding it amazing, how much I, as a cadet, can get out of the program. The opportunities are endless. College does come first, but if you put into CAP, you will get amazing experiences out of it. If you are dedicated, in just a few short years, you could find yourself on a trip worth thousands of dollars, for almost nothing. You could find yourself being promoted by the President of the United States, or even receiving a nomination for the Air Force Academy.

The opportunities are literally endless. Trust me.

Not quite as endless as an ASN/BSN. Yes, you can get a lot out of CAP (I did), and yes it's important, but a promotion by the President doesn't pay the bills, and a nomination for a service academy is much more likely to come from academics or sports.

If I could go back to my freshman year of college, which was only five years ago, there's a lot I would of done differently, esepcially if I had went into a nursing program. With just a few extra years of training and experience, a CRNA makes well over a hundred thousand dollars a year. A RN with a BSN is also eligable for a direct comission into the military.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

jks19714

And don't depend on CAP to make your mortgage payments.  ;D
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

1LtNurseOfficer

Quote from: Arrow on May 27, 2011, 04:12:00 AMMy weekly squadron meetings are on Wednesdays @ 1900-2100. My SOCL 101 classes are on Wednesdays 1700-2030. As you can see, the class and the meeting conflict with one another.  This is the last sociology class that is not full, and I need this class for my first semester.

Keep on eye on the sociology classes and/or in touch with your advisor after the session has started.  Some students enroll, but fail to pay/decide to go elsewhere.  Others may drop the class shortly after the session starts.  Either way, a seat may become available at a time more suited to your personal schedule.

Regardless, congrats on making it into a nursing program.  There are many still on waiting lists out there!!

The CyBorg is destroyed

First of all, congratulations on your choice.  Nursing is a noble profession.  I have been treated over the years by some very good ones, including Nurse Practitioners.

In my squadron, if you expect to be consistently absent for an extended period of time, you are required to submit a Leave of Absence.  Two members of my unit are doing that right now.

I encourage you to think about coming back as a Flight Officer.  We have a former cadet who is doing quite well as a FO.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

elipod

Not quite as endless as an ASN/BSN. Yes, you can get a lot out of CAP (I did), and yes it's important, but a promotion by the President doesn't pay the bills, and a nomination for a service academy is much more likely to come from academics or sports.

Not true at all. My brother just received his Spaatz award, and the General who promoted him, offered a nomination to the Air Force Academy. 

JayT

Quote from: elipod on May 27, 2011, 10:15:42 PM

Not true at all. My brother just received his Spaatz award, and the General who promoted him, offered a nomination to the Air Force Academy.

Umm. Okay. Did it come on official letterhead?

Spaceman3750

Quote from: elipod on May 27, 2011, 10:15:42 PM

Great. Know how many people are nominated to USAFA each year? >12,000. How many are appointed? 1,000. You can get a nomination from your congressman too if you send him a nice letter and have a good high school resume.

EDIT: Fixed my failure to pay attention.

elipod

Alright. Maybe i'm just a cadet, and am all Gung-Ho about CAP, haha. I see the opportunities as never ending. I am going to college in January, but will definitely join the local squadron. There is no way i'm missing out on all this :)

JayT

Quote from: elipod on May 28, 2011, 12:47:08 AM
Alright. Maybe i'm just a cadet, and am all Gung-Ho about CAP, haha. I see the opportunities as never ending. I am going to college in January, but will definitely join the local squadron. There is no way i'm missing out on all this :)

Your enthusiam is great, but you're also reaching a point in your life where the choices you make will affect the rest of your life.