Logging into e-services for the first time

Started by paladin82, May 20, 2011, 10:02:37 AM

paladin82

About a week ago I received my email that I am now a member of the Civil Air Patrol, and I received my ID number.  Yesterday, I received an email from someone at the wing-level that said:

QuoteNOTICE of Pending Loss of CAP Operational Qualifications

This is to let you know that according to CAP E-Service records you have not been credited wth taking the required "Intoduction to CAP Safety Programs" online course.

Therefore, as of the end of May you do not meet CAP safety education currency requirements and will not be allowed to participate in CAP activities other than to attend your unit meeting for the purpose of gaining safety education currency.

Would you like to take an online "Intoduction to CAP Safety" module now to prevent loss of your qualifications? Click on the following link, sign onto E-Services and follow the instructions attached above for taking the module.

So I tried to log into e-services.  When I tried to setup my password as a first-time user, I got this:
QuoteThere was no member information found for the SSN, Last Name, and DOB you entered.  Please check the SSN, Last Name, DOB and try again.

Did I do something wrong, has there not been enough time to get me into the system, or should I call someone?

I did reply to the sender telling him all of this, and he said I should have been able to setup a login and password, as he only sent me this because I am in the system.

SarDragon

What is your birthdate? If the day is the 12th or before, you may have entered it backwards on the application. It is a common mistake when people use all numbers. Try entering it  with the month and day numbers reversed. E.G. - the birth date is 12 March. Instead of 3/12, try 12/3. If that works, you'll need to have your Personnel Officer help you get it corrected at NHQ.

If that doesn't work, or the day is 13 or higher, make sure you are entering your SSAN without dashes.

If that fails, you'll have to call the help number.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

paladin82

Well, that worked.  It was the date thing.  Strange that they would ask for it one way on the application and the opposite in order to log in.

SarDragon

Quote from: paladin82 on May 20, 2011, 10:54:16 AM
Well, that worked.  It was the date thing.  Strange that they would ask for it one way on the application and the opposite in order to log in.

Now, make sure your BD is correct at NHQ. It could cause problems down the line. Better to get it fixed now.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

HGjunkie

Quote from: SarDragon on May 20, 2011, 08:32:32 PM
Quote from: paladin82 on May 20, 2011, 10:54:16 AM

Now, make sure your BD is correct at NHQ. It could cause problems down the line. Better to get it fixed now.

This. I had the date thing wrong when I first registered, putting my birthday off by at least 4 months.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

a2capt

"Off *by* at least" I imagine you mean...

Another thing, the email address you use to sign up. It seems like hotmail, yahoo, and a few others devour the confirmation email with your password. Gmail/Google Apps seems to not do it.

If you have one of these said free services, and you have a "real" (work, ISP provided, etc) email account too, but prefer not to use it - use it to establish the eServices account. You can go right in and change it afterwards and all will be fine. But if you never get that initial email with the password you'll find that requesting a resend doesn't work either and you'll end up having to call NHQ.