Main Menu

Encampment prep

Started by LasVegasCapt, May 03, 2011, 02:38:49 AM

LasVegasCapt

Has anyone ever taught an encampment prep class and does anyone know if they can help me with teaching it?

Eclipse

What's an "encampment prep" class?

Is this for staff or the basic cadets?

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

If you are looking for specific course content, your best bet is to contact some of the staff of the particular encampment that you are sending cadets to. While everyone teaches the requirements laid out in 52-16, each different encampment has its own methods, practices, and environment. You can't eventeach a standard bed making class because different places have different style bunks. That is just an example but you get my drift.

Some general rules to follow:

1. Take what's on the packing list.

2. Pay close attention to what's prohibited.

3. Tell the cadets to keep the Squadron CC and DCC informed about any information they receive from the encampment.

4. Make sure their boots are well broken in.

5. Make sure that if they need uniform items that they order them well in advance and have them sewn on if needed.

6. Make sure they have a haircut before they go and if they have any unnatural hair color highlights that they get rid of them.

7. Make sure YOU know the contact numbers for the encampment in case of an emergency.

8. make sure YOU review their F31 before they submit it.

9. Make sure they know how to handle any medications they might take. The encampment won't be doing that this year.

10. Make sure any additional permission slips are signed and if needed witnessed. Bummer if they missed out on doing something because of a oversight.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

LasVegasCapt

Apologies. I wasn't clear. I meant for the basics. I am teaching a class about encampment, what it is like, and what is expected out of them. And thank you sir.

Major Lord

I think a preparatory briefing for encampment-bound cadets is a good thing. It may also assist you in identifying those cadets who may not be ready physically or emotionally to handle an encampment experience. Bear in mind that Encampments vary widely between Wings, with some being a little more....intense........shall we say, than others.

I think that the ideal place to convey expectations of encampments is in BCS ( Basic Cadet School) which has much the same course material with less of the stress of an actual encampment. If your Cadets melt down during a BCS, they will have a real problem with encampments. A BCS is also a good place for Seniors and Older Cadets to hone some of their own teaching skills.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

PHall

Quote from: LasVegasCapt on May 03, 2011, 09:57:32 PM
Apologies. I wasn't clear. I meant for the basics. I am teaching a class about encampment, what it is like, and what is expected out of them. And thank you sir.

For which encampment?  If it's the CAWG/NVWG Encampment then the prep is simple.

-Bring what is on the packing list, no more and no less.

-Make absolutely sure the cadet's boots and shoes are well broken in. They will thank you when they don't get blisters.

-Make sure they can perform all of the drill movements that are required to perform to get their Curry Award. You would be amazed on how much remedial drill instruction is required each year at encampment.