Second flag for Color Guard Comp?

Started by Chief2009, April 21, 2011, 12:31:42 AM

Chief2009

My squadron is looking at fielding a team for next year's competitions.

Now, I know NCC provides the flags used for the national competition, but I'm wondering what is usually used for the second flag in the color guard for the Wing and Region level comps.

Is it the team's state flag, the blue squadron flag, or the grey flag with blue fringe http://www.vanguardmil.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_428&products_id=7415?

DN
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

PHall

You use the flag of the unit you're representing. So at the Region Comp you would carry the Wing flag and so on...

davidsinn

Quote from: PHall on April 21, 2011, 01:43:08 AM
You use the flag of the unit you're representing. So at the Region Comp you would carry the Wing flag and so on...

What do you carry at wing comp if your unit does not want to pay the $400 vanguard tax on a flag?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

lordmonar

If one wants to play.....you have to pay.

Sorry thems the breaks.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

It isn't a "Vanguard Tax" - those flags have been huge dollars since before I joined.

"That Others May Zoom"

Chief2009

Is there a cite for that? I'm pretty sure my Commander will want it in writing.

Also, I'm from the Illinois Valley Composite Squadron. Now, 900-2 states "if abbreviations are required to shorten the name, only the following standard abbreviations for type of unit will be used: Comp Sq, Cdt Sq, Sr Sq, Gp."

The problem is, Vanguard will only let me put in "Illinois Valley Comp S"

One lousy character.

DN
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP

a2capt

Carry a state flag then, to wing competition... or find someone else to make you a flag based on the specs in the regs. There was a thread that talked about getting them made elsewhere, for much less.

DC

Quote from: Chief2009 on April 21, 2011, 02:58:25 AM

Is there a cite for that? I'm pretty sure my Commander will want it in writing.

Also, I'm from the Illinois Valley Composite Squadron. Now, 900-2 states "if abbreviations are required to shorten the name, only the following standard abbreviations for type of unit will be used: Comp Sq, Cdt Sq, Sr Sq, Gp."

The problem is, Vanguard will only let me put in "Illinois Valley Comp S"

One lousy character.

DN
Call Vanguard, that might be fixable if you deal with a person instead of a dialogue box on a website.

Chief2009

Also, before I call my commander and tell her we need to spend twice the money we had originally planed on, what flag is it that I posted a link to in my first post?

DN
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP

arajca

BillB

You can use the State flag for the Wing level comp. If you win that, Wing might provide a Wing flag for Region, and Region a Region flag for National Comp. In any case a State flag is acceptable at any level. However there is a CAP flag listed on ebay. And it's really sinple to change the Squadron name. There are press on letters the same size and color available for $8 for two sets ehich is normally all you need.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

lordmonar

Not in my wing.  If you don't have your flag....then it will reflect.

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on April 24, 2011, 05:29:28 AM

That's bogus. Units are not required to have a flag.

lordmonar

Quote from: PHall on April 24, 2011, 03:57:21 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on April 24, 2011, 05:29:28 AM

That's bogus. Units are not required to have a flag.
It is a matter of getting the job done right.

If a unit is going to go through the trouble of getting rifles, extra uniforms, slings, belts, gloves...etc et al......I expect them to get the required equipment....which includes a unit flag.

tarheel gumby

Quote from: BillB on April 22, 2011, 11:31:55 PM
You can use the State flag for the Wing level comp. If you win that, Wing might provide a Wing flag for Region, and Region a Region flag for National Comp. In any case a State flag is acceptable at any level. However there is a CAP flag listed on ebay. And it's really sinple to change the Squadron name. There are press on letters the same size and color available for $8 for two sets ehich is normally all you need.
That flag listed on ebay is my squadron's original flag from the 1950's
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

Bluelakes 13

For NCC, the event supplies the flags.  We use the US and the CAP flags.
For RCC, each team brings their own.  The US+CAP combo is popular, although I've seen a unit flag too.
For Wing Comps, the US+UNIT is popular, although I've seen CAP and state flags too.

For my competition, I would love for each team to have their state flag.  But I would not want to incur an additional expense to the team. When my unit did a MOH color guard, I had to buy our state flag because no one had one. If the teams coming to RCC can get a state flag, I would encourage that for next year.

BTW, there are no regulations for RCC and Wing competitions, unless your Wing/Region has published supplements or they use the ubiquitous "follow NCC rules".  M52-4 simply says the team must be selected by the Wing/Region commander and "Commanders are encouraged to use the NCC procedures to select teams".  If one Region or Wing says we require X, Y and Z, do NOT take that as your Wing/Region has the same requirements.

James Kalemis
NCC staff since 2006 (5th year, woohoo!)

tarheel gumby

Quote from: tarheel gumby on April 25, 2011, 01:55:13 PM
Quote from: BillB on April 22, 2011, 11:31:55 PM
That flag listed on ebay is my squadron's original flag from the 1950's
Bought it and brought it home, where it belongs
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001