Advice for the New Group Commander

Started by Nolan Teel, April 14, 2011, 03:01:45 AM

Nolan Teel

So it looks like I will be taking over as a new Group Commander in TXWG.  My question for all the former Commanders out there is any advice?  Tricks of the Trade? Ideas? Or things they wish someone would have told them when they took command?

davidsinn

Quote from: Nolan Teel on April 14, 2011, 03:01:45 AM
Or things they wish someone would have told them when they took command?

In the words of a friend of mine that is a Group CC: "Don't do it man, just don't do it."  >:D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Nolan Teel

Your not the first person to say that!

davidsinn

Quote from: Nolan Teel on April 14, 2011, 03:05:38 AM
Your not the first person to say that!

Funny thing is I have two friends that are current Group CCs and they say similar things... ;)
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Delegate and allow some things to fail, with supervision.

Your job is not to "fix" or "run" your units.  It is to provide a framework for their success facilitate access to resources, work to
eliminate duplication of effort, and act as a subject matter for your commanders.

Another key job is to act as a filter between wing and the units, and the units and wing, keeping both sides honest, but
advocating for your units.

Be prepared for administration and nonsense as your primary role.

Very little of your job requires paper - get all of your unit CC's an electronic version of their signature and insist on
pdf'ing all forms, etc., including WBP forms.   

"That Others May Zoom"

Patterson

A Group Commander is nothing at all compared to a Squadron Commander.  It is like going from playing with Rockets to holding a sparkler on Independence Day!  If you do not like actually being involved with your fellow CAP Members and making the biggest impact on the organization, the Group Command is the best place for you.

Best to sit down and decide if you are ready to be the "Administrator" or the doer! 

Eclipse

There is no "doer" without the administrator.

No buck$, no Buck Rogers.

Your analogy is actually exactly inverse.  Instead of being responsible for 1 group of members, you are responsible
for the experience of hundreds in multiple units.  And you must accept that responsibility without being able to
turn the wrench yourself.

Those of us who serve in that role and take it seriously would have reason to take exception to your statements.

"That Others May Zoom"

O-Rex

As a former Group Commander, I remember that my four immediate predecessors became very disenchanted and either took a long hiatus from CAP or simply became a 'dues paying member.'

Right now I am a 'dues paying member.'

Funny, I remember looking at my replacement thinking "I was once like you: enthusiastic, full of fire and ready to take on the world: if I would have known. .  . ."

If you are lucky, and serve under a wing-king with some ACTUAL LEADERSHIP QUALITIES, it can be a pleasant experience.  If not, you'll likely serve at the convenience of an amateur-turned-despot where cronyism fraud/waste/abuse and cover-ups are the norm.

For me it was 'the best of times; the worst of times:' I had some great experiences with great people, nearly all of them below group-level.  I think I made a positive impact on a lot of members and cadets, and more than once, put my own command and membership on-the-line for them.

But once I got a good look at the putrid underbelly of the political side of CAP, and the farcifal existence of some of its leaders, I don't know if the organization will ever be the same for me again.  Perhaps absence makes the heart grow fonder, and I can put the experience behind me. 

The biggest disappointment was spending nearly a decade preparing for something that as I just said, have to 'put behind me.'

I wish you the best of luck and sincerely hope that Group command is the 'best of times' for you.

Maintain your humility, take care of those under your command and keep your back to the wall!

Eclipse

Not the most positive advice I have ever given, but considering I left a unit command slot 2 years early to move to group, I have often thought
of this quote from the only person really qualified to sit in the center seat:

"...Well let me tell you something. Don't! Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do *anything* that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference...."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3--m1A_mmo

The Unit is the heart of CAP, and as a Group CC your job is to make sure they can succeed...

"That Others May Zoom"

bosshawk

O-Rex must have been in the same wing that I came from or else his experiences coincided with several wing commanders that I have known.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Dad2-4

Quote from: Nolan Teel on April 14, 2011, 03:01:45 AM
So it looks like I will be taking over as a new Group Commander in TXWG.
May I ask which group? I'm a TXWG (currently displaced) member, so all things Texas draw my attention.
BTW, I know LtCol Brooks Cima (and Dennis) from her squadron and group CP days. Congrats to her.

FW

I agree with most of O-Rex's experiences too.  My time spent as a group/cc was enjoyable; not only because of an experienced Wing/cc but also because my squadron commanders (22 of them) had a good understanding of what was "up". 

It will be your responsibility to be the interface between the wing and squadron commanders.  As, Eclipse says, make sure your squadron commanders are cared for and fed properly however, don't micro manage their jobs.  Give them the trust they deserve and, help them when needed.  It is a management position 80% of the time.  The most important 20% is the hardest (leadership). 

It is an interesting experience, a real challenge and, memorable.

Good luck.

flyboy53

Delegate and then stand back and let the other people do their jobs.

Don't be afraid to say when you don't know something, but also make sure that you let the person asking the question know that you will research the issue and respond to them. Don't be afraid to ask someone for advice.

Hold your subordinate units and staff to a specific standard of excellence...and that includes safety, flying and professional development. Also remember that you set the standard by your own example. Keep suspenses and make deadlines.

Remember to recognize excellence either through promotions or awards and decorations.

Don't be afraid to discipline and hold the hammer on different things.  I think I did three 2bs in the first six months of my tenure as a group commander.

Be prepared for a lot of politics, back-bitting, and people who think they can do the job better than you can. Expect to relieve a squadron commander or two.

Be prepared to spend a lot of your own money either traveling to things or you'll see.

I was told that it was the most rewarding job in CAP and then when I got there, my experience was a lot like trying to stay on a bucking bronco for the count. Would I do it again, no thanks. It has to be the most thankless job in this organization.

If you have kids that are cadets be prepared for your kids to harassed and held to an unrealistic standard just because they're the group commander's kids; especially from higher ranking cadets....stay involved because your kid's lives will be put through the ringer....which will have a lasting impact on your whole family dynamic.

At the same time, I wish you good luck. I commend you for your committment, service and sacrifice.

bosshawk

Excellent advice.  Don't bail when the world seems against you: your ethics and professionalism must shine through.  You will experience all sorts of people who will try to achieve at the lowest possible level and expect you to approve that: don't fall for that.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

meganite

Quote from: Dad2-4 on April 14, 2011, 09:32:42 AM
May I ask which group? I'm a TXWG (currently displaced) member, so all things Texas draw my attention.
BTW, I know LtCol Brooks Cima (and Dennis) from her squadron and group CP days. Congrats to her.

I'll echo that. I don't have much advice to give, being a newbie here, but I do have to say congratulations. Flyboy1's advice seems really good in general. You say you've heard "just don't do it!" before, yet you remain resolute, so keep that courage with you at all times. But, as far as Wing/CC goes, I've heard a little bit about Col Brooks Cima, and it's all good things. She seems like a very mission-oriented person, someone who doesn't tolerate political foolishness. I hope this is one of the "best times" instead of "worst times" for you. :)

And I'm also curious what group, though I guess I'd find out eventually! Good luck, Godspeed :)

AlphaSigOU

Maj Teel (a good friend of mine) took command of Texas Wing Group III. Great to hear Col Cima is now the Texas 'wing queen', too!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

flyboy53

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on April 24, 2011, 08:36:07 PM
Great to hear Col Cima is now the Texas 'wing queen', too!

Ditto to that. Brooks Cima is a total class act. Do expect to be challenged and held to a standard that she herself has lived and forged with her subordinates and as an NSC staff member. This is a very good thing!

A.Member

My advice:  Remember that your job is ultimately to assist and support the squadrons.   Don't become another roadblock or obstacle for them.

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."