after the Iowa "experiment"

Started by NCRblues, April 12, 2011, 06:27:57 AM

NCRblues

I am not trying to stir the pot at all, nor bring up hard feelings from anyone at all with this. I just would like the information. I am trying to do some research into expanding my local world of cap, and i keep hitting on the Iowa wing thing, but i cant find much on the end of it.

What happened at the "end" of the Iowa wing "experiment"? Did the wing stay the way it was being conducted under the "experiment"  or did it revert to the classic CAP we all know?

Why did it die? Was it a good idea, was it a good idea mishandled, or a bad idea altogether? Did it fail, or just slip away? Or is it still going strong, just not being trumpted as it once was?
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

sparks

I'm sure you will get some detailed answers but the short one is that the money funding the activities dried up and there was a management change. Both caused the demise of the "experiment". Given the current funding shortfall in Iowa and many other states CAP funding is being reduced or eliminated in other states too.

RRLE

Threads or parts thereof dealing with the "Iowa Experiment".

Iowa Wing CAP September 01, 2006. I think this is the announcement of the beginning of the "Iowa Experiment" on CT.

CAP-Agency vs CAP-Club - the real issue in Iowa A 10 page thread begun January 12, 2008

Re: New Iowa Wing commander Announced January 17, 2008

The Future of IOWA WING February 04, 2008

The Iowa Experiement. March 28, 2009

Re: Question for brother/sister Officers in Iowa Wing   November 16, 2010

Walkman

I just read the 14-page letter posted in the 1st thread RRLE linked to. This was before my time in CAP started. So without all that background, I was impressed at the leadership shown by IAWG in working so hard to build up CAP. The OP's statement of "not trying to stir the pot" leaves me with a feeling that it all wasn't rosy & awesome for everyone. However, my perception is that the Wing leaders took the bull by the horns and while short-lived made change for the better. That's what upper leadership is supposed to do.

If there was funding, I'd be open to something like this in my Wing.

My 2ยข anyway, YMMV, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Eclipse

Bottom line is that it wasn't sustainable in our current program model, and there were a number of units who refused, with good cause, to participate,
which essentially locked them out of the rest of the wing.  My contact with IAWG people, composed completely of hearsay, indicates that the ultimate
result was a serious fracture in an already troubled wing, with battles still being fought over it today (bear in mind some people in the South refuse to acknowledge the end of the Civil War as well).

It was an interesting idea, but essentially "broke" the model of CAP which is decidedly "local", for a reason - we're all volunteers. When you provide people with an income, and guaranteed benefit / activity for their effort (such as the military or the Guard), you can be much more "direct" with where you tell them to go and participate, but when you change the rules mid-stream and expect everyone to simply heave-to, especially with no real guarantee of anything and (for some) considerable expense, you can't act surprised when some people suggest you "go salute yourself", nor is it fair to withhold opportunity or other resources because these members in good standing want to work the program they joined, where they joined it.

I'm personally strongly in favor of cutting the empty shirts, standardizing and centralizing training efforts, partnering with agencies and the local military, and generally raising the bar, however it has to be done in the right way with a delicate hand, easing people into the idea, while all the while the cost-benefit is always with the membership.

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

another side effect is that several long term, dedicated members said "aw screwit" and packed off.
that's a terrible loss for CAP.

CadetProgramGuy

Those dedicated members found a new home in the Coast Guard Aux, and from understanding they are making a large impact there. 

While I do not have the details to make fair assessment, I have to admit personally, this was one of many many items that steered me away from CAP.

What i can tell you is that the Des Moines Metro Cadet Squadron is highly functioning, with membership growth and many activities planned for this summer and fall.  This is due to the highly engaged squadron commander and his family, all of which are CAP members.

The Iowa experiment has failed, funding was a large part of it, but leadership was also a part of it too.

My 2 cents as well, i will give change as needed.

sarmed1

From my readings I chalk this one up to good idea, poor follow thru.  Personally speaking I think a Wing sized option was a little too much.  Perhaps downsizing to a group or some sort of "regionalized" program depending on the group structure in place would have been a more sustainable plan; particularly in the absence of state level funding.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel