Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2014, 02:51:54 PM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  The Lobby  |  Topic: Before You Click Submit
Pages: [1] 2  All Print
Author Topic: Before You Click Submit  (Read 20850 times)
MIKE
Super Moderator

Unit: LANTAREA

« on: December 27, 2006, 01:23:28 PM »

Before you click submit please do everyone a big favor and check over your posts for broken BBcode tags... While you're at it you might as well proofread it and do a spell check. ieSpell  There is one for Firefox as well, but I'll have to see if it works with 2.0.

The broken quote tags can be a real problem.  If you don't have the tags right your response ends up quoted and we can't always tell who said what.

If you don't know what you are doing... Please read the help docs.  If they don't answer your questions, you can aways ask...
Mike Johnston
Hawk200
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 01:26:57 PM »

Clicking the little  "Preview" button goes a long way too.
mikeylikey
Banned

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 01:35:00 PM »

What happened to the spell check button?
What's up monkeys?
MIKE
Super Moderator

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 01:37:58 PM »

Clicking the little  "Preview" button goes a long way too.

It never worked all that well on the Portal... Seems to work fine here though.
Mike Johnston
MIKE
Super Moderator

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 01:39:13 PM »

I think we lost it in the upgrade... Jerry?
Mike Johnston
Lancer

C3Designs, LLC
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 09:49:35 PM »

I think we lost it in the upgrade... Jerry?

I've been wondering that myself for days. More like a downgrade if you ask me.  ;D ;D ;D j/k
whatevah
Administrator

my personal website, yo!
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 10:59:39 PM »

I had to change a number of things to install a security patch and haven't been able to beat the spellchecker into submission yet.   It'll return...
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin
Lancer

C3Designs, LLC
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 10:21:09 AM »

I had to change a number of things to install a security patch and haven't been able to beat the spellchecker into submission yet.   It'll return...

Yea! Spell Check is back!!! Thanks to whomever fixed that!
MIKE
Super Moderator

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 11:44:41 AM »

Another tip:  If you are going to make numbered lists, either don't use numbers and parenthesis 1) ... Or click on Additional Options and click "Don't use smileys."  If you are quoting someone with a list like this, do the same to your reply.

Reason:  When you get to 8, you'll get this 8) in your list.
Mike Johnston
carnold1836
Forum Regular

Pegasus Composite Squadron
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 12:53:37 PM »

but seeing

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Is just so much fun
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron
swilliams
Recruit

CAP Information technology
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 06:28:02 PM »

Good Call
MIKE
Super Moderator

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 09:57:26 AM »

Another tip:  Want to quote multiple posts in one reply?  Click Insert Quote for each post  you want to quote in the Topic Summary.
Mike Johnston
MIKE
Super Moderator

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 12:49:09 PM »

Before you click the quote button ask yourself these questions:

• Is the post I am quoting directly above my reply?  If it is you probably don't need to quote the post.  If it is not, or you find that someone has replied while you were composing your post, you may want to quote portions of the post that relate directly to your comments.
  • Do I really need to quote the entire post in my reply?  Take a couple of minutes and select only the portions of the quoted post that you wish to comment on... Especially if you will only be making short comments.  Me too. or I agree. should be avoided.
  • Do I really need to quote this quote of a quote?  Don't chain quote.  Either pick the one quote that relates to your comment or just reply without a quote.
Mike Johnston
mikeylikey
Banned

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 01:17:12 PM »

• Is the post I am quoting directly above my reply?  If it is you probably don't need to quote the post.  If it is not, or you find that someone has replied while you were composing your post, you may want to quote portions of the post that relate directly to your comments.
  • Do I really need to quote the entire post in my reply?  Take a couple of minutes and select only the portions of the quoted post that you wish to comment on... Especially if you will only be making short comments.  Me too. or I agree. should be avoided.
  • Do I really need to quote this quote of a quote?  Don't chain quote.  Either pick the one quote that relates to your comment or just reply without a quote.

Ok!  Good Call
What's up monkeys?
RogueLeader

Unit: WY066 CC

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 07:38:32 PM »

Ok!  Good Call
See what he means?

I hope so.
Make the most of today-not tomorrow, because only HE knows when your last tomorrow was today.
pixelwonk
Alt-F4 pilot

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 05:57:36 PM »

*Bump*

Looks like it's time for a refresher on quoting.

All quotes need to have a
Code: [Select]
[quote] at the beginning and a
[/quote] at the end.

Please use the preview button to make sure your quote is complete and makes sense.
If you mess up completely, just hit the back button and try your quote again.

"Keep CAP Talk beautiful. Please don't litter your quote tags."
MIKE
Super Moderator

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 06:04:16 PM »

And if you don't know what you are doing... Please do us a favor and don't mess with the tags, and be sure that your reply follows any quote tags included when using the reply with quote option.
Mike Johnston
MIKE
Super Moderator

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 03:00:15 PM »

How to post hella-long urls such as CAP Knowledgebase answers and other such links without breaking the forums:

Add an equal sign (=) immediately following the url in the first url tag.  It will look like this inside the brackets: url=  Copy and past the url you wish to use and place it immediately following the equal sign (=) in the first set of brackets.  Between the two url tags enclosed in brackets type something short but descriptive about the link, or use linky if you are lazy.

[url=http://www.hellalonghyperlinkthatwillbreaktheforumsbecauseitiswaytoolonggoeshere.com]Insert descriptive text for link here, or just use linky[/url]
Mike Johnston
MIKE
Super Moderator

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 09:43:01 PM »

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 60 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Check the date of the last post to the topic before you reply.  If you get a warning while posting that the topic has not been replied to in 60 days or more, reconsider replying.  However; a bump is typically better than starting a new topic if it is the most recent topic on the subject.

Don't be that guy who bumps a dead topic with nothing of consequence to add.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 09:50:05 PM by MIKE » Logged
Mike Johnston
MIKE
Super Moderator

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 06:52:03 PM »

Watch the Enter key.  Unfortunately SMF is not n00b proof and is does not auto format or clean up your posts on submit.

Watch for dead space from edits etc, and clean up your posts checking spacing and for bad tags before you hit submit.
Mike Johnston
Pages: [1] 2  All Print 
CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  The Lobby  |  Topic: Before You Click Submit