Suggestion #1: Turn the cadet program into a pilot factory

Started by AbnMedOps, March 21, 2011, 05:59:54 AM

Pylon

Quote from: coudano on March 21, 2011, 09:22:38 PM
run an a&p / maintenance side for those who can't or don't want to actually go up in the sky

What about the Aircraft Maintenance & Construction Career Familiarization NCSA that CAP already runs each summer?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

coudano

Is that listed on ncsas.com???

I dont think so?

ah

manufacturing and maintenance academy it's called now

Pylon

Quote from: coudano on March 21, 2011, 10:35:26 PM
Is that listed on ncsas.com???

I dont think so?

ah

manufacturing and maintenance academy it's called now

Yes, that's the one.  I just pulled the name from memory and borked it up.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SarDragon

I think it's now the OP's turn to give us details on his notion.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

AbnMedOps has suggested an better relationship with General Aviation in another thread. I agree with that premise.  Creating GA pilots would be in line with that.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

AbnMedOps

Thanks SAR Dragon, I'll try to fill it in a bit more.

1. I think the bulk of the simulator and flight phase should be in a full-immersion, resident environment. An "encampment", in CAP terms. Probably on the order of three weeks. The focus and training momentum should keep the PP hours closer to 40 than to the national average, which I think is about 60-80 hrs. Training in one blast is far, far superior to the stop-and-go weekend flight school approach. The vast majority of student pilot starts in the US never complete - probably due more to the regression / relearn of weekend training than to any other factor.

2. Simulators, as used by American Flyers and others, are key to mastery of concepts before burning flight hours.

3. If using a 172, consider putting a 2nd student in the back. The back seater watches the student flying bumble around, and hopefully gains something, before his turn to fly the lesson. Naturally, everybody switches off. The Army adopted this system in rotary wing flight training; not sure, but I think it's still in use. (I am not a rated military aviator). During my PP training a few people tried this approach and it seemed helpful. (It was also reported as helpful for CFI candidates to ride in back during a few PP lessons, to observe the process.)

4. A resident school/encampment environment with also provide cadets with opportunities to assume leadership / followership / roles and experience some of the challenges of running an operation.  Camaraderie and peer support are generated. I understand that the USAF uses this model in Flight Screening.

5. I don't yet have a silver bullet for the finance issue, but I've got to think that a credible program, leveraging economies of scale and modern methods, can put flight training in reach of far, far more young people than even think about it today. I would like to think that if a couple years of a "pilot program" can achieve some quantifiable stats (certificates earned; college admissions; military recruitment; dope not smoked; etc) then there would be a good case for some level of government funding and/or private grants.

6 If this doesn't get people, both young and old, excited about the future and drive the organization to the next level, then what will? More drill team practice  in the parking lot?? (nothing against drill teams, I'm just sayin'...)

7. Finally, yes I understand that there are some handful of elite (and well-funded) cadets somewhere who attend a CAP flight academy...but my concept is making flight training a central part of the CAP experience, not just the marginal event that it is now, where most cadets will never even meet a "flying" cadet. I keep coming back to that word "Air"...

RiverAux

Quote from: Major Carrales on March 21, 2011, 11:32:37 PM
AbnMedOps has suggested an better relationship with General Aviation in another thread.
Yes, people forget that one of CAP's actual purposes for existing is:
QuoteTo encourage and foster civil aviation in local communities.
yet there is absolutely nothing in any of our programs or regulations relative to this purpose.  It is truly CAP's "lost mission".

Reference: The purpose of CAP according to federal law:
Quote1.  Encourage and aid citizens of the United States in contributing their efforts, services, and resources in developing aviation and in maintaining air supremacy.
2.  Encourage and develop by example the voluntary contribution of private citizens to the public welfare.
3.  To provide aviation education and training especially to its senior and cadet members.
4.  To encourage and foster civil aviation in local communities.
5.  To provide an organization of private citizens with adequate facilities to assist in meeting local and national emergencies.
6.  To assist the Department of the Air Force in fulfilling its non-combat programs and missions.

EMT-83

Not necessarily true everywhere.

Locally, our squadron hosts the FAA Wings program and works closely with the EAA.  Our Wing conference includes FAA training open to (and attended by) non-member pilots.

I'd say we have a pretty good relationship with the GA community.

Major Carrales

Quote from: EMT-83 on March 22, 2011, 12:17:51 AM
Not necessarily true everywhere.

Locally, our squadron hosts the FAA Wings program and works closely with the EAA.  Our Wing conference includes FAA training open to (and attended by) non-member pilots.

I'd say we have a pretty good relationship with the GA community.

I agree, this varies from Squadron to Squadron.  We should, as a major source of aviators, assist in these efforts (safety awareness, training opportunities, pilot professional development et al).

I would say, radically, that our Aerospace Education missions should morph into one that addresses General Aviation. 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on March 22, 2011, 12:05:58 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on March 21, 2011, 11:32:37 PM
AbnMedOps has suggested an better relationship with General Aviation in another thread.
Yes, people forget that one of CAP's actual purposes for existing is:
QuoteTo encourage and foster civil aviation in local communities.
yet there is absolutely nothing in any of our programs or regulations relative to this purpose.  It is truly CAP's "lost mission".

Reference: The purpose of CAP according to federal law:
Quote1.  Encourage and aid citizens of the United States in contributing their efforts, services, and resources in developing aviation and in maintaining air supremacy.
2.  Encourage and develop by example the voluntary contribution of private citizens to the public welfare.
3.  To provide aviation education and training especially to its senior and cadet members.
4.  To encourage and foster civil aviation in local communities.
5.  To provide an organization of private citizens with adequate facilities to assist in meeting local and national emergencies.
6.  To assist the Department of the Air Force in fulfilling its non-combat programs and missions.

Fly a Teacher Program.
The entire external AE program.
The AE part of the Cadet Program.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

Yes, those certainly 1 & 3 but do nothing specifically for civil aviation.  Those are just generic AE programs, but what do they really do to foster civil aviation?  I also wouldn't brag very much about our external AE program as it basically doesn't exist outside of the little kiddie program.