CAP Field Uniform (Blue BDU)

Started by s.imbriale, March 11, 2011, 02:49:00 PM

s.imbriale

I'm curoise on what people think of this uniform option? Mainly for people who have the option of wearing either this or the BDU proper.  I apologize if this has already been discussed - if so, please post the link to that thread and I'll check it out. Otherwise, let's discuss! 

The pro's to me are:
- Blue usually means public safety (EMS, police, Coast Guard, etc).  Civil air patrol certainly fits along the same lines with our SAR and disaster response missions. So I like how that keeps us in line with the other services, agencies and organizations that perform similar missions.

Con's to me:
- Goes away from the standardization that (I think) we are trying to accomplish with the Air Force.
- Doesn't look that great with ultramarine blue, but honestly neither do the BDUs.

What are some other opinions? For people who can wear both, what do you choose and why?  Thanks!

Capt Sam Imbriale
Capt Sam Imbriale

manfredvonrichthofen

I wear woodland BDUs. For the simple reason that it is the USAF style uniform and this uniform tends to lend the hand in assisting outside agencies to differentiate between us and LE and local EMS crews. I have come to the realization that it is very rare to find someone who really takes the time to see what your uniform actually says. I also believe wholeheartedly (around here atleast) that we are better prepared and better trained than local EMS, our EMS for as long as I have seen them are just a bunch of rag-tag outdoorsmen (hunters), not trained in actual search and rescue, they do know s good bit about field aid, but not how to effectively search areas of probability and search them in an effective and efficient manner. They also don't have the ability to search for a beacon.

In my opinion, the USAF style uniform lends a hand better telling what and who we are compared to LE and local EMS. However I must admit, I have never seen our local Emergency management guys in any sort of uniform at all, not even a common t-shirt.

arajca

The first 'con' you list is not CAP's choice. The AF came down and told CAP the members who don't meet the AF profile (+10%) can't wear the bdu. The same with the service and service dress uniforms. So as for standardizing with the AF, not going to happen.

s.imbriale

Quote from: arajca on March 11, 2011, 03:08:51 PM
The first 'con' you list is not CAP's choice. The AF came down and told CAP the members who don't meet the AF profile (+10%) can't wear the bdu. The same with the service and service dress uniforms. So as for standardizing with the AF, not going to happen.

Realize that: That'a why I'm gearing this question more towards those who have the choice. 

Capt Sam Imbriale
Capt Sam Imbriale

tribalelder

I own and use both BBDU and BDU. 

BBDU Pros- choice of footwear- no requirement to wear boots-you don't NEED boots at most squadron meetings.
                - use of civilian outerwear-our CAPM39-1 outerwear choices for Woodland does not include a heavy winter parka

Cons- the blue shows dirt/dust too well.

For a new adult member, if you don't have BDU's from a free source, consider BBDU.  If you go with BBDU, be advised poly-cotton blend holds color better than 100% cotton (personal experience).  Consider the few extra bucks for Propper, navy blue. Other threads suggest (no personal experience) 'Dark Navy' is too dark.
WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

Larry Mangum

As someone who can wear either, I have chosen to wear the BBDU.  As an IC, I am in a CP most of the time and not in the field, so I am not worried about dust or dirt and worn with minimal patches, gives a professional appearance when working with outside agencies.

I also wear BBDU's at NESA.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

arBar

I'm a big guy, so I don't have a choice.  Both field and utility uniform in blue.  I'm torn about it.  Don't like being in a completely different uniform than everybody else.  But I think it is a good looking uniform. 

The main thing I dislike is looking too much like a SWAT team member.  Also, people don't recognize the uniform as being related to the military.  Even though the AF used a very similar uniform back in the day.

For fun, here's a couple of links to old AF uniforms.  Note that the first one shows a blue uniform with a tucked 2 pocket shirt.  The second one has a guy who appears to be in an old version of the BBDU (4 pocket untucked) but no insignia.
http://www.minot.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/070814-F-0287J-020.jpg
http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/090427-F-7824S-146.jpg

Is it just me or does the white jumpsuit look awesome?

SarDragon

The blue shirt on the left end looks more like the olde Shade 84 shirt than a BBDU style shirt. However, I don't recall the AF wearing tapes on that shirt. I know CAP didn't, because that was one of my favorite uniforms, back in the day (a Wednesday, usually).
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Lt Buzzbear

Well here is a reason, with absolutely no intention of being serious....
the BBDU's give us more of that whole "Stargate SG-1" feel!!
One of the guys in my unit will unbutton his BBDU jacket after the meeting is over and go for the "Daniel Jackson" look.  Now we just have to get CAP clearence to Cheyenne  Mountain!!!  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Just a lighter thought for a laugh

s.imbriale

Hahah! I love it! I didn't even think of the SG-1 look. Well that makes this easier - I'll just strap on a P90 and a old baseball hat and be Col O'Neil.

On a more serious note - It is very similar to the Coast Guard uniform as well. Especially with the CG transition from the tuck in ODU to the untuck version.
Capt Sam Imbriale

RVT

Quote from: s.imbriale on March 12, 2011, 02:28:20 PMOn a more serious note - It is very similar to the Coast Guard uniform as well. Especially with the CG transition from the tuck in ODU to the untuck version.

I've often wondered why we don't use blue BDU pants with the polo shirts instead of grey dress pants.  It would give a standard appearance, be more functional and durable, and make a lot more sense for those people who wear polo shirt uniforms to exercises.  And as you say, it would be our equivalent to what the Coast Guard Aux is already using.

manfredvonrichthofen

I wholeheartedly agree. I think that would be another uniform that I would add to my set.

s.imbriale

Ya know, that's not a bad idea! I've head of some units (I'm assuming this isn't actually authorized) that allow their senior members to wear the blue polo with khaki pants... I think wearing the polo with BBDU pants would look highspeed!
Capt Sam Imbriale

RVT

Quote from: s.imbriale on March 12, 2011, 04:19:51 PM
Ya know, that's not a bad idea! I've head of some units (I'm assuming this isn't actually authorized) that allow their senior members to wear the blue polo with khaki pants... I think wearing the polo with BBDU pants would look highspeed!

I have noticed a widespread trend, - even in videos put out by national, to wear the blue polo with [darn] near anything.  The NOC even put out a video showing a pilot wearing a polo with bluejeans.  This from our National Operations Center.  Establish the polo / BBDU pants as an actual uniform combination and I think it would be popular enough for most of this to go away on its own.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: RVT on March 12, 2011, 08:39:36 PM
Establish the polo / BBDU pants as an actual uniform combination and I think it would be popular enough for most of this to go away on its own.
I would agree, it would become functional as well.

billford1

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on March 12, 2011, 08:48:02 PM
Establish the polo / BBDU pants as an actual uniform combination and I think it would be popular enough for most of this to go away on its own.
If it were sanctioned as a Ground Team Uniform throw in the reflective ball cap and that would work.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: billford1 on March 12, 2011, 09:19:07 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on March 12, 2011, 08:48:02 PM
If it were sanctioned as a Ground Team Uniform throw in the reflective ball cap and that would work.
I would wear it, however, I would not wear it for ground ops.

EMT-83

Gray 5.11 tactical pants can be worn with the polo shirt, if you're so inclined.

Gray dress pants are specified for specified for the white aviator shirt, but not the polo shirt.

s.imbriale

So is there anything specified for the blue polo?
Capt Sam Imbriale

RVT

Quote from: s.imbriale on March 12, 2011, 10:23:58 PM
So is there anything specified for the blue polo?

Grey pants also - but looser standards.  It can be pretty much any long pants other than jeans.  Personally I wear grey BDU pants from Propper.  I think one of the midwestern wings even established that as specifically what they wanted for the polo shirt uniforms.

Basically I am proposing that the membership be saved buying one more piece of uniform - use the existing blue BDU instead of having to buy the grey version of the same thing.