Poncho and Liner: Temp. Range?

Started by GTCommando, March 05, 2011, 03:08:17 PM

GTCommando

Hello all,
Recently, after over 2 years in CAP and almost 10 months with a GTM rating, I have discovered the advantages of using a poncho and liner as a sleeping bag (compact, light-weight, cheap, etc.).

I know we have some CAPTalkers who have used this technique before, and what I want to know is what would you say would be a good temperature range for a poncho and liner? I plan on buying a 'woobie' here in the next few weeks, but I don't want to unpack my Army mummy bag until I know I won't freeze.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

NIN

My experience with a wubbie and a poncho has been substantially in the "dry" environment. Wet might change things up a bit.

In the summer, in Michigan, I exclusively carried a poncho & poncho liner.  Perfect.  Night time temps would never get down below, say, 60 degrees.  And I've used this combo down into the 40s at night, although it was fairly uncomfortable (ie. my feet got cold).

Obviously as you approach freezing, the need for the ol' mummy bag goes up, fast.

BTW, the wubbie inside the Holofil-based mountain bag gets on like a house fire.  Seriously.  I've been using my wubbie inside my mountain bag for at least 25 years when it gets *really* cold (ie. below freezing, in the teens).   I haven't tried this combo with the new sleep system, but I bet it would have similar results when it gets down close to zero.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

manfredvonrichthofen

I use my ponchos and woobie as a tent, lay one on the ground, and stake it in, and then line the top poncho with the woobie, and sleep in a sleeping bag, I get cold here in Indiana, I know, I am a wuss when it comes to the cold.

GTCommando

Thanks gentlemen. Be advised that I would still use a tent or other shelter, and I have ways of making anything warmer, so for 9 months out of the year, the poncho and liner sounds like a good choice.

manfredvonrichthofen, you're not alone. I, too, usually can't stand anything below 45 degrees, but after this winter I can survive anything.  ::) The first time it got up to 40 degrees, I wore a t-shirt when I took the dogs out.  ;D
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

mclarke

My opinion (this coming from being Army Infantry) is to invest in a sleeping bag in addition to the liner and poncho. Do not go cheap on the poncho either. A sufficient, reliable poncho will cost around 30-40.00, but, will not rip and will fit right.

I believe Ranger Joes (www.rangerjoes.com) has a 3-in-1 sleep system (bag, 2 sleeping bags. Can be used together one in the other or as individual bags) for around 60-80.00. I owned one of these for camping, and I will vouch that it worked well. The biggest issue I for see in the event you use a liner is weather. You will loose heat fast. One option if you want to save space is look at your sporting goods store or online at cabelas (www.cabelas.com) and check out a "sleeping roll". Its more of an old western type of sleeping bag, but it rolls up and is light weight.

GTCommando

^mclarke, thank you for your input. I actually already have two sleeping bags, a civilian rectangular-style for warm weather, and a US Army mummy-style for cold weather. I was just thinking of a poncho/liner as a lighter/more compact alternative for warm weather. Anything under 40 degrees, and I'm pulling out the mummy bag and propane heater.  ;D
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Earhart #15889