SDA's

Started by shlebz, March 04, 2011, 10:49:21 PM

shlebz

so to fill out an SDA is there a book i need to read and report on that or do i just fill it out on stuff that ive learned?
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

SarDragon

You need to download and read CAPP 52-14 before you go any farther.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

shlebz

yah i have that, im still confused on what info i fill it out with like do i just do research or is there legit a book on just the info needed?
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

coudano

Use the example in 52-14 as a guide for the format,

Then flip a few pages on and find the Achievement 9.
It will tell you what you have to do in part A
--leave section 1 blank
--explain the commander's role in managing suspenses in section 2 (what is a suspense?  what is the commander's role? etc)
--list 5 common uniform discrepancies and the correct refs --and interview any leader on taking charge   in section 3

In Part B, you will answer the same 4 questions that you see in the example, but you will be answering them from the perspective of the flight commander (or whatever achievement you are working on).

There is no book in specific that you need to go read to get some specific "right answers" from, the answers are based on your experience and what you have learned so far.  However, the principles behind your answers probably (hopefully) come from some of your experiences with the leadership texts, and some of the cadet programs regulations.

When I grade my cadets' SDA i'm looking to see if they basically "get it" about the concepts behind that position.  Or if they are clueless.

Eclipse

Quote from: shlebz on March 04, 2011, 10:56:16 PM
yah i have that, im still confused on what info i fill it out with like do i just do research or is there legit a book on just the info needed?

Spelling and grammar count...

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

When asked to list the regs involved in a specific position, make sure you get the main one. Had a cadet turn one in for Logistics Officer and didn't list any of the logistics or transportation regs. Needless to say he had to redo it.

Ron1319

Quote from: Eclipse on March 04, 2011, 11:52:15 PM

+1
Ronald Thompson, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander, Squadron 85, Placerville, CA
PCR-CA-273
Spaatz #1319

SarDragon

Quote from: Ron1319 on March 13, 2011, 09:07:34 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 04, 2011, 11:52:15 PM

+1

And don't forget the punctuation, too. That apostrophe's a killer!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

And now to the gripes........Not busting on you Shlebz.....but why is it that cadets constantly come here to CAPTALK for this sort of information?

It really makes me worrired about the state of some cadet programs out there that this sort of thing happens all the time.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

coudano

i've got 4 (about to be 5) cadet officers right now,
ALL of them needed help in the form of either attending a class over how to do SDA, or getting questions answered, getting started with the SDA, all of them also made "attention to detail" mistakes on their first draft that could have been addressed by a careful read of the 52-14.

I don't think it's fair to blame "some cadet programs", for a system that is tricky and unfamiliar to ALL new cadet officers
At least you see cadets taking initiative to ask for help, and get it, to complete their requirements
I don't expect a C/2d Lt to be a master of SDA writing, nor of reg referencing...
mastery of those skills comes at the -END- of phase 3 and 4, not the beginning of it

shlebz

Quote from: lordmonar on March 13, 2011, 04:34:15 PM
And now to the gripes........Not busting on you Shlebz.....but why is it that cadets constantly come here to CAPTALK for this sort of information?

because its easier to ask yall than it is to wait until thursday to asksomeone... just sayin
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

davidsinn

Quote from: shlebz on March 13, 2011, 10:12:34 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on March 13, 2011, 04:34:15 PM

because its easier to ask yall than it is to wait until thursday to asksomeone... just sayin
You could email your COC.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

lordmonar

Quote from: coudano on March 13, 2011, 09:14:26 PM
i've got 4 (about to be 5) cadet officers right now,
ALL of them needed help in the form of either attending a class over how to do SDA, or getting questions answered, getting started with the SDA, all of them also made "attention to detail" mistakes on their first draft that could have been addressed by a careful read of the 52-14.

I don't think it's fair to blame "some cadet programs", for a system that is tricky and unfamiliar to ALL new cadet officers
At least you see cadets taking initiative to ask for help, and get it, to complete their requirements
I don't expect a C/2d Lt to be a master of SDA writing, nor of reg referencing...
mastery of those skills comes at the -END- of phase 3 and 4, not the beginning of it

I am in the boat too.....but the point is you and I provided the correct information to our cadets....because that is our job.  Why can't/don't other squadrons do the same?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Briski

In my case, SDA's were always more a test of integrity than anything else. I had to explain the concept of an SDA to my squadron commander every time I brought one in.

As a CP officer, I now have a much greater understanding of just how sad this situation was....
JACKIE M. BRISKI, Capt, CAP
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

...not all those who wander are lost...

SarDragon

You think it's bad now? You should have been there when they came into the program (a long, long time ago). Nobody had a clue about what they were all about, and how to do them. Nobody. That's the biggest reason I never went past C/WO.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret