Flight simulator use for aerospace education

Started by NHAV8R, February 26, 2011, 10:47:40 PM

NHAV8R

Hello, I am new to CAP and built a nice and now portable flight simulator. The cadets love to fly it but I am looking for ideas of how we could use it for specific cadet lessons. I use a projector so I would like your ideas.
Thanks,
Steve
Steve Robbins 2dLT, CAP
Private Pilot SEL, Rotorcraft-Helicopter
USMC alumni

davidsinn

Quote from: NHAV8R on February 26, 2011, 10:47:40 PM
Hello, I am new to CAP and built a nice and now portable flight simulator. The cadets love to fly it but I am looking for ideas of how we could use it for specific cadet lessons. I use a projector so I would like your ideas.
Thanks,
Steve

Flight controls. Demonstrate how the movement of the surfaces actually move the aircraft.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

tsrup

My best piece of advice would to be go though the Aerospace Modules and put yourself in their shoes. 

If you were a cadet new to aviation, what concepts would be hard to grasp without seeing it or experiencing it.

Things like axis of rotation, mostly "yaw" are concepts that are foreign to someone who has never been in an aircraft. 

If you are using FSX, there "instruction" modules that would be a good addition to AE coursework.

You could also use the simulator to demonstrate the effects of weather on flight operations.

Just remember that the AE portion of the cadet program is not so much for "flight instruction" but more for familiarity with aviation concepts.

A simulator is a great tool for this, and I'm happy that you are willing to share your equipment with our program to help further these cadet's education.
Paramedic
hang-around.

NIN

Using a sim (ie. FSX or X-Plane) for AE is beneficial if you show cadets views you could not see "in real life" (ie. external views of the aicraft as you manipulate the controls and the control surfaces move, maneuver, or do things like lower the flaps..).

While you can use the sim as a straight up sim,  it can't really ever match actually sitting in the plane, looking out the window, etc.  If you've built a physical sim, it can be used as a "lead in" to the first orientation flight, with an introduction to the plane, to the instruments, etc, sort of a preview of what they're going to see and what it means.  First time in the plane can be awfully overwhelming, especially for a new cadet.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

coudano

I use flight sim to teach aerospace to cadets every summer
http://www.vfws.org

NHAV8R

Thanks for the suggestions!! :clap: I am using FSX so if can think of anything else, please chime in.
Steve
Steve Robbins 2dLT, CAP
Private Pilot SEL, Rotorcraft-Helicopter
USMC alumni

lordmonar

Also look into the AEX program.......lots of ways to tie in a flight sim to the lessons taught there.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SansGroove

I think its a fantastic idea to usea flight simulator for learning.     ...heck flight sims are what really got me involved and interested in aviation.  It allows me to live out my dream of flight without the 10k expenditure.  Sure its not the same but its still fun.  FSX is a great tool to learn on.  The cadets would go berserk to have some time flying the new DCS A10 sim.  I recently purchased a a10 replica hands-on throttle and stick -  I wish they had stuff like that when I was 13. 

Flight sims are a great tool.  Great hobby too.