Main Menu

On hand medic equipment

Started by manfredvonrichthofen, February 23, 2011, 12:10:51 AM

manfredvonrichthofen

What kind of medic equipment do you keep on person during ground search operations?
Only small personal kits?
Medium or large kit that will take care of more than just yourself?\

I am looking for a good kit for more than just myself, I want a couple of SAM splints, a head and neck immobilizer, and things of the sort. Main thing is, pack to put it in. My old medic bag from the Army isn't quite big enough for the immobilizer and everything else that I may need to have in it.

NCRblues

Small thing just for myself, because like it has been pointed out on CAPTALK over and over again...

A "cap medic" is anyone with a cell phone and the ability to hit 9-1-1.....cant really do much else...
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

tsrup

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on February 23, 2011, 12:10:51 AM
What kind of medic equipment do you keep on person during ground search operations?

I am looking for a good kit for more than just myself, I want a couple of SAM splints, a head and neck immobilizer "C spine reminder", and things of the sort. Main thing is, pack to put it in. My old medic bag from the Army isn't quite big enough for the immobilizer and everything else that I may need to have in it.

Fixed it for you,

I wouldn't have a C collar as part of my personal equipment, maybe along with the backboard in the van instead.

As for what I carry.  Just an assortment of Gauze (Ace bandages, 4x4s, rolls), tape, scissors, cold compress, and most importantly gloves.  Fits all in pretty nicely, is inexpensive, lightweight, and is suitable for what we do.   

Paramedic
hang-around.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: NCRblues on February 23, 2011, 12:25:58 AM
Small thing just for myself, because like it has been pointed out on CAPTALK over and over again...

A "cap medic" is anyone with a cell phone and the ability to hit 9-1-1.....cant really do much else...

Ok, so a cell phone can splint someone up and put them on a litter?

I am looking for a more practical approach, nothing like a nasopharengeal tube or IV or anything, things that we need to assist in transport of a subject. besides, if all we can do is dial 911, then why in the world do we have to go through first aid and CPR? Does your ground team have a litter?

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: tsrup on February 23, 2011, 12:29:33 AM

I am looking for a good kit for more than just myself, I want a couple of SAM splints, a head and neck immobilizer "C spine reminder", and things of the sort. Main thing is, pack to put it in. My old medic bag from the Army isn't quite big enough for the immobilizer and everything else that I may need to have in it.

Fixed it for you,

I wouldn't have a C collar as part of my personal equipment, maybe along with the backboard in the van instead.

As for what I carry.  Just an assortment of Gauze (Ace bandages, 4x4s, rolls), tape, scissors, cold compress, and most importantly gloves.  Fits all in pretty nicely, is inexpensive, lightweight, and is suitable for what we do.   
No, not a C collar, a head and neck immobilizer, like this,
http://www.lifemedicalsupplier.com/head-immobilizer-prolite-ref-909716hi-p-342.html
this is not a C collar, it is a head and neck immobilizer.

1LtNurseOfficer

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on February 23, 2011, 12:32:28 AM

Fixed it for you,

http://www.lifemedicalsupplier.com/head-immobilizer-prolite-ref-909716hi-p-342.html
Without a c-collar and backboard, a head and neck immobilizer are useless/meaningless and dangerous to the patient.  Not to mention, it's enormous and not appropriate for a PERSONAL first aid kit.

manfredvonrichthofen

I have the personal first aid kit taken care of.
Pain killers
Gauze
Israeli dressing
ACE bandages
Mole skins
tourniquet (I don't know why I still have it in there, just never took it out after the Army)
Bandage tape
Scissors
Much more, I can't even remember what all.

What I am looking for is a kit of things that might be needed for the subject (NOT ME). We have a litter already that we carry out with us, what I am looking for is a kit that is a little more complete with items like;
(25) 3/4"x3" Adhesive plastic bandages
(30) 1"x3" Fabric bandages
(2) Knuckle fabric bandages
(2) Large fingertip fabric bandages
(4) 2"x4" Elbow & knee plastic bandages
(10) 3/8"x1-1/2" Junior plastic bandages
(5) 1-1/2"x1-1/2" Patch plastic bandages
(4) Medium butterfly wound closures
(4) Large butterfly wound closures
(6) 3M 2-3/8"x4" Waterproof knee & elbow bandages
(10) 3M 1-1/16"x2-1/4" Waterproof bandages
(3) 2"x3" Non-stick pads
(3) 3"x4" Non-stick pads
(10) 2"x2" Gauze dressing pads
(4) 3"x3" Gauze dressing pads
(4) 4"x4" Gauze dressing pads
(4) 3M Tegaderm transparent dressings
(1) 3M Tegaderm transparent dressing instructions
(4) 5"x9" Trauma pads
(2) 2" Conforming gauze roll bandages
(2) 3" Conforming gauze roll bandages
(2) 36" Triangular sling/bandage, w/2 safety pins
(4) Aspirin tablets
(4) Ibuprofen tablets
(10) Extra-strength non-aspirin tablets
(4) Antacid tablets
(4) Antihistamine tablets
(24) Alcohol cleansing pads
(18) Antiseptic cleansing wipes (sting free)
(3) Castile soap towelettes
(1) Triple antibiotic ointment, 1/2 oz.
(2) Burn relief packs, 3.5 gm.
(9) Insect sting relief pads
(6) Povidone-iodine infection control wipes
(1) Antiseptic spray, 3 oz. aerosol
(1) 3"x5 yd. Elastic bandage wrap, w/2 fasteners, latex free
(1) 3M 3/4"x7 yd. Clear first aid tape roll
(1) 3M 1"x15 yd. Waterproof first aid tape roll
(2) 6"x9" Instant cold compresses
(1) 4"x6" Hot/cold reusable compress
(2) Sterile eye pads
(1) Eye wash, 4 oz.
(1) CPR one-way valve faceshield, latex free
(1) 52"x84" Emergency blanket
(3) 6"x11/16" Finger splints
(2) Medium #2 safety pins
(6) 3" Cotton tipped applicators, sterile
(1) Digital thermometer
(1) Medication canister
(10) Exam quality vinyl gloves
(1) Deluxe scissors, stainless steel
(1) Deluxe tweezers, stainless steel
(2) 1 oz Hand Sanitizers
(1) Splinter-Out, 10 per small hinged plastic case
(1) 3-3/4Gx27G Rolled Wire Splint
(1) 40 pg. First aid guide

Things of that sort, and more. 
I am not looking for things like nasopharengeal tubes or anything like an IV kit, just things that we are TRAINED to use.

davidsinn

Unless there is an imminent emergency(plane is on fire, etc) We have no business putting people on backboards. That is for the professionals to do and they will have their own gear. At the most our people might be pressed into service to carry the victim but we would not do the packaging.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

tsrup

Quote from: NCRblues on February 23, 2011, 12:25:58 AMOk, so a cell phone can splint someone up and put them on a litter?

I am looking for a more practical approach, nothing like a nasopharengeal tube or IV or anything, things that we need to assist in transport of a subject. besides, if all we can do is dial 911, then why in the world do we have to go through first aid and CPR? Does your ground team have a litter?

We are not required to go through CPR, and the first aid requirement is only for basic first aid.   CAP is not in the business of transporting patients.  We can go over all the "what if's" that we want, but in the end, unless you have someone on your GT trained in the packaging and safe transport on your team, you have the very real risk of doing more harm than good.
Our GT does not own a litter, we do have a backboard with a head immobilizer.  But you can bet that we'd have to be in one heckuva predicament to ever package a patient up and use it.

But even after all that, what's the point?  It's not like we'll just load up the patient in the back of the van and haul em in to town, and if the Ambulance is there, then why even bother getting in the way of the Paramedics/EMT's?

I'm all for having one though, it's better to have one and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

Not to mention it has served pretty useful for Leadership Activities for the Cadets..

Why bother putting it in a bag?  Just put it on the backboard permanently (by permanently I mean leave it strapped for storage).  If you really have to end up using it, do you want to waste the time to strap it all on the backboard?
Paramedic
hang-around.

Eclipse

I've had to deal with any number of "medics" who show up to SAREx's and missions with backboard, collars, triage kits, oxygen, etc.

They are told that anything outside the prescribed first aid kit from the GT guide stays in their car.  Those that don't like that, don't play.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARJunkie

Your e mobilizer is worthless without a c-collar.    you HAVE to use it with a C-Collar
Ex CAP Guy!

ol'fido

When we did SARCOMP back in the late 80's, other teams would show up with backboards, oxygen, C collars, etc. but without the training to use them. Or they would show up with EMTs and paramedics and then bolo the written and practical first aid test because the USAF flight surgeon that set them up did so looking for a basic first aid reponse. Stick to basic first aid type equipment.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Major Lord

I suggest you take a look at the kits from Adventure Medical. Dr. Eric Weiss is the undisputed god of wilderness first aid and they have everything from pocket kits to everything you need to run the Amazon: http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/  Purchase according to training and utility; a 25 pound kit is going to stay in the truck on a real ground SAR activity: Unless you know in advance that there are injuries and no one else coming to help....in which case....good luck!) Eric Weiss's wilderness first aid pocket book should be required reading!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Major Lord on February 23, 2011, 02:59:23 AM
I suggest you take a look at the kits from Adventure Medical. Dr. Eric Weiss is the undisputed god of wilderness first aid and they have everything from pocket kits to everything you need to run the Amazon: http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/  Purchase according to training and utility; a 25 pound kit is going to stay in the truck on a real ground SAR activity: Unless you know in advance that there are injuries and no one else coming to help....in which case....good luck!) Eric Weiss's wilderness first aid pocket book should be required reading!

Major Lord
Thank you, the Ultralight Pro, with a couple of add ins looks great, mostly just some extra gauze and the such. Thank you, that rocks.

GTCommando

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on February 23, 2011, 12:54:20 AM
What I am looking for is a kit of things that might be needed for the subject (NOT ME). We have a litter already that we carry out with us, what I am looking for is a kit that is a little more complete with items like;
(25) 3/4"x3" Adhesive plastic bandages
(30) 1"x3" Fabric bandages
(2) Knuckle fabric bandages
(2) Large fingertip fabric bandages
(4) 2"x4" Elbow & knee plastic bandages
(10) 3/8"x1-1/2" Junior plastic bandages
(5) 1-1/2"x1-1/2" Patch plastic bandages
(4) Medium butterfly wound closures
(4) Large butterfly wound closures
(6) 3M 2-3/8"x4" Waterproof knee & elbow bandages
(10) 3M 1-1/16"x2-1/4" Waterproof bandages
(3) 2"x3" Non-stick pads
(3) 3"x4" Non-stick pads
(10) 2"x2" Gauze dressing pads
(4) 3"x3" Gauze dressing pads
(4) 4"x4" Gauze dressing pads
(4) 3M Tegaderm transparent dressings
(1) 3M Tegaderm transparent dressing instructions
(4) 5"x9" Trauma pads
(2) 2" Conforming gauze roll bandages
(2) 3" Conforming gauze roll bandages
(2) 36" Triangular sling/bandage, w/2 safety pins
(4) Aspirin tablets
(4) Ibuprofen tablets
(10) Extra-strength non-aspirin tablets
(4) Antacid tablets
(4) Antihistamine tablets
(24) Alcohol cleansing pads
(18) Antiseptic cleansing wipes (sting free)
(3) Castile soap towelettes
(1) Triple antibiotic ointment, 1/2 oz.
(2) Burn relief packs, 3.5 gm.
(9) Insect sting relief pads
(6) Povidone-iodine infection control wipes
(1) Antiseptic spray, 3 oz. aerosol
(1) 3"x5 yd. Elastic bandage wrap, w/2 fasteners, latex free
(1) 3M 3/4"x7 yd. Clear first aid tape roll
(1) 3M 1"x15 yd. Waterproof first aid tape roll
(2) 6"x9" Instant cold compresses
(1) 4"x6" Hot/cold reusable compress
(2) Sterile eye pads
(1) Eye wash, 4 oz.
(1) CPR one-way valve faceshield, latex free
(1) 52"x84" Emergency blanket
(3) 6"x11/16" Finger splints
(2) Medium #2 safety pins
(6) 3" Cotton tipped applicators, sterile
(1) Digital thermometer
(1) Medication canister
(10) Exam quality vinyl gloves
(1) Deluxe scissors, stainless steel
(1) Deluxe tweezers, stainless steel
(2) 1 oz Hand Sanitizers
(1) Splinter-Out, 10 per small hinged plastic case
(1) 3-3/4Gx27G Rolled Wire Splint
(1) 40 pg. First aid guide

Things of that sort, and more. 
I am not looking for things like nasopharengeal tubes or anything like an IV kit, just things that we are TRAINED to use.

If you need anything more than this, nobody on CT can help you:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MHR416-1.html

Seriously, take out the scalpels, and almost everything else is pretty basic stuff that anyone with basic first aid training can use.
BTW, aside from the basic first aid gear required for CAP members, I carry a 36" SAM splint, 6" Israeli trauma bandage, and basic respirator for AB pathogens protection.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

Al Sayre

You forgot the Duct tape.  You can fix almost anything with Duct tape. Google  "medical uses for duct tape"  150,000 hits...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Al Sayre on February 23, 2011, 09:57:46 PM
You forgot the Duct tape.  You can fix almost anything with Duct tape. Google  "medical uses for duct tape"  150,000 hits...

I die a little bit inside every time I see a cadet using duct tape to "protect" a blister...

GTCommando

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on February 23, 2011, 10:27:22 PM
Quote from: Al Sayre on February 23, 2011, 09:57:46 PM

I die a little bit inside every time I see a cadet using duct tape to "protect" a blister...

^That would have to hurt.  :o  What I do is preventive. I've got one or two spots that I know gets a lot of friction in my boots, so I cover those areas with duct tape before I go out in the field. Anyway, duct tape is required equipment for ground teams (I wonder why?), so I technically didn't forget it after all.   ;D
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

PHall

Duct tape on the sock over the blister/hot area would do the most good.
It provides another protective layer between the boot and the foot and the tape helps reduce the friction between the boot and the foot/sock.
And it doesn't hurt when you pull off the tape! :'(

JayT

Fixed it for you,

Heck, I don't even have one of those on my ambulance. Do you know how to use it?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."